Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewire light switch heights

Options
  • 07-04-2017 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all, doing a rewire of an old house, the light switches are high, whats the regulation on this, can i get away with keeping them at this height or do i have to drop them to 1200mm? The walls arent that thick and switches are back to back so chasing new ones out would be a nightmare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Hi all, doing a rewire of an old house, the light switches are high, whats the regulation on this, can i get away with keeping them at this height or do i have to drop them to 1200mm? The walls arent that thick and switches are back to back so chasing new ones out would be a nightmare.

You need to conform to the current regulations I'm afraid (think you probably new that anyway)
    Don't put the new switches back to back(offset them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Electricman

Have a look at Annex 63B of the wiring rules. It's at the back of the book, (just after the sample certificates). This Annex outlines the basic principles which should be applied when carrying out electrical work. A rewire involves adding new circuits and is therefore is new work.

Annex 63B clearly states "New work must comply with current rules"
    The current rules (530.6) require that in a domestic dwelling, switches for lighting equipment must be installed between 400mm and 1200mm.
    Therefore it is clear that light switches in a rewire situation must be at the 4th edition heights.
    I can also tell you from personal experience that if you get a RECI inspection at the rewire, the inspector will insist that all light switches are installed between 400mm and 1200mm and will make you move them down if they are installed at the original old heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 readymix111

Cheers thanks for that, i dont usually do domestic so im trying to read up on all the new regs. The fuseboard will need to be dropped too, 2.2m from floor to top of board, whats the best way to hide the cables coming from ceiling apart from chasing and burying them. Would pvc trunking be the norm?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, trunking may be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Electricman

Trunking is fine and the max height is actually 2.25,

• Advertisement
Advertisement