Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Driving Only - Scooter Safe and Scooter Etiquette

• 07-04-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi All -

I've driven cars for approx. 20 years but have never driven a scooter before.

Considering getting one to speed up journey to/ from work.

Daily commute is 3 miles from Rathmines to Grand Canal Dock.

What's people's opinion on how safe or not a scooter is driven in traffic etc.?

Also - what's the etiquette in terms of when you can use bus and cycle lane?

Also - ok to overtake queue of traffic when safe to do so?

Thanks,

BJ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

Hi All -

Assuming you mean to use the AM licence that you probably already have?
    This means no need to get bike licence and IBT etc... I'd suggest some bike lessons anyway.
    For the cost involved each year you are probably better off getting a bus ticket or walking that short distance.

They are usually as safe as the rider. If you take risks you obviously have a higher chance of injury.
    Legally you cannot use bus lanes or cycle lanes with a continuous line.
    Many people use bus lanes. However, you can be stopped by the Gardai and warned. If you have an accident in the bus lane I'm not fully sure if you would be covered.
    Over taking of traffic is "filtering" or "lane splitting". This is legal with some caveats. I'd suggest googling and reading up on these further.

Thanks,

BJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭SteM

I cycle Tallaght to Grand Canal Dock and would have thought that the Rathmines->GCD portion of the journey would be the slowest by car or scooter. I don't think it would save lots of time on a scooter, not lots of space to filter along the canal road.

I would have thought that this journey would be safer on a bike than it would be on a scooter because you're mainly on an off-road cycle lane tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Canal is a nightmare on a motorbike/scooter/car in rush hour, slow traffic, not many opportunities to overtake, lots of traffic lights and one way systems.

Not sure it's really worth all that investment for 3 km.

From Google maps:

Car: 14 mins
    Cycle: 14 mins
    Walk: 35 mins

Motorbike/scooter (guess): 10 mins

How are you currently getting to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

On that route a bicycle will be quickest and cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Hi All -

Thanks,

BJ

get outta me bleedin way.............:pac::p

I joke.;);)

• Advertisement

Cycle it,you will be quicker and fit as a fiddle too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Cycle it. There is a segregated cycle lane the whole way once you're on the canal, there and back. You will absolutely be quicker than a scooter. Bicycles even have their own traffic lights the whole way.

I did Ranelagh to Barrow Street for a while. Cycling is quicker. Took 10 mins. Not an estimate, I timed myself a few times as I was curious. Motorbike was always slower, even filtering etc.

It's a nice walk too, I'll add. Can throw the swans a bitta bread as you go. Unless you've some physical ailment, getting a scooter for it would be madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Surely op would have cycled it or even mentioned it if he wanted to cycle.
    Get your scooter op.

Tell you one thing,you have to adjust yer mindset when jumping off a powerfull sportsbike and onto a moped or scooter.

I kinda forgot that the brakes on me "burgerman" aint the brakes on the S1000rr this morning.:pac::pac::o:D

To the OP,cycle it or get a small moped or even a little Suzuki AN 125 4 stroke bike,slim,small and easy to manouver in between cars in traffic jams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blade1 wrote: »
    Surely op would have cycled it or even mentioned it if he wanted to cycle.
    Get your scooter op.

But it makes no sense on this route, because...
    colm_c wrote: »
    Canal is a nightmare on a motorbike/scooter/car in rush hour, slow traffic, not many opportunities to overtake, lots of traffic lights and one way systems.

The canal route is miserable to navigate legally on a motorbike/scooter.

I only use it for a short stretch on the way home, and (illegally) use the mandatory cycle lane when it's completely clear front and behind. I really should just find a better route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

The canal is a total nightmare even on a motorbike. I would definitely cycle the 5 km. You ll be quicker and safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Have to agree with the last few posts, I've done this on a bike a few times and its a PITA. Lanes are narrow making filtering a bit of work and there's cyclists everywhere. If it was me over that short distance I'd be on a push bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

I do the whole length of the canal daily .

Its a bit sticky, but with a bit of confidence, you save a lot of time on two wheels.

I would avoid the cycle lane as I have seen a few bikers get done by the Garda in there.

From Inchicore to Ringsend takes on average about 8 mins in traffic. With overtaking on the right and staying out of the cycle lane.

Advertisement