Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus services

Options
  • 07-04-2017 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

I've been working in town, so not got a personal view of how people are coping with the lack of Bus Eireann services.

But I've heard that some companies in Cork have hired private bus companies to provide staff shuttles out to the business parks - and they're running all day, stopping at intermediate stops, and not being too fussy about checking who's staff and whos not.

Anyyhing like that happening here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I've been working in town, so not got a personal view of how people are coping with the lack of Bus Eireann services.

But I've heard that some companies in Cork have hired private bus companies to provide staff shuttles out to the business parks - and they're running all day, stopping at intermediate stops, and not being too fussy about checking who's staff and whos not.

Anyyhing like that happening here?

No have not seen anything like that in Parkmore since the strike.
    Surprised thread not started here on the strike and how it is affecting Galway City Bus commuters? We must be in the double digits in terms of days on strike at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Got a bike, won't be going back to bus eireann bar very bad weather. Hopefully they go tits up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Got a bike, won't be going back to bus eireann bar very bad weather. Hopefully they go tits up soon.

Yeah exactly, I mean who really cares about all the people who are employed by Bus Eireann or the people who live in rural areas that rely on it for transport

b.gud wrote: »
    Yeah exactly, I mean who really cares about all the people who are employed by Bus Eireann or the people who live in rural areas that rely on it for transport

If BE fold then the routes will all be tendered out. As for drivers/families etc I'm sure many will be re-employed elsewhere. If not then they have their union to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'm seeing loads of people offering lifts on social media to/from surrounding towns (which is something good).

City Direct still serving West of city (albeit sparse in the evening), and they're packed. East Side seems to be loads of people sharing cabs. 4 in a cab not too bad and comparable to bus, but it's just arranging it.

Go Bus have some kind of partnership with Bé but doesn't seem to be changing the Dublin service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Walking into work the past two weeks. Little adjustment in terms of getting up earlier and the weather has been good thankfully. In fairness I don't mind it too much as the bus is one of a couple of options I have but for people that rely on the bus it must be a nightmare. Have Cycled in occasionally also. Car traffic in the evenings seems to be chronic and I don't envy anyone that has to go though it any evening after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

If BE fold then the routes will all be tendered out. As for drivers/families etc I'm sure many will be re-employed elsewhere. If not then they have their union to blame.
    What about the able bodied BE drivers who will be perceived as too old by the private companies, but would have been able to work out the time till their retirement?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Maybe they should of thought of that before they went on strike.
    Grass is greener and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Bredabe wrote: »
    What about the able bodied BE drivers who will be perceived as too old by the private companies, but would have been able to work out the time till their retirement?

The dont seems aworried about the poor retired elderly people that was left without a bus service.

I use the bus service a lot at weekends so i find it a pain in the arse. Its also a 2 day camel ride to go for a pint now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I live in the country and i dont drive, bus eireann are the only company which serve my area, taxis are to expensives so this strike is an inconvenience for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Yeah private companies will take over routes, but lots of them will not be financially viable and there will be a load of people in rural areas will be left without much or maybe any bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

b.gud wrote: »
    Yeah private companies will take over routes, but lots of them will not be financially viable and there will be a load of people in rural areas will be left without much or maybe any bus services.

They aren't financially viable now: Bus Éireann are paid subsidies to run them.
    There's no reason why privately-owned companies should not have access to the same subsidies.

I've also heard lately that CityLink now do take the FreeTravel pass on their services - except on Galway/Dublin. I don't know if this was in response to the strike, or started before it. But it apparently has been a lifeline for people in Connemarra with no BE services running.

I see this here, some routes were privatised, lots of expensive buses to popular routes and fewer busses to less popular areas-like those that dont have a hospital or school. Bus co's collect subsidies for running to those quieter areas and buses run less than a handful of times that dont suit anyone. Would be very shocked if that doesn't happen here too if they privatise. Then there is the whole under paid/overtired drivers issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There's no reason why privately-owned companies should not have access to the same subsidies.

I've also heard lately that CityLink now do take the FreeTravel pass on their services - except on Galway/Dublin. I don't know if this was in response to the strike, or started before it. But it apparently has been a lifeline for people in Connemarra with no BE services running.

My understanding is that Citylink have been taking the FT Pass for quite some time bar the Dublin route.

I think both CL and GB *used* to take the Free Travel. Do you know why they got rid of it on the Galway to Dublin? Is it because BE had the Free Travel monopoly or something.

I remember someone having hassle getting on with a Free Travel pass from Galway to Clifden on City Link. Is that ok again now?

inisboffin wrote: »
    I think both CL and GB *used* to take the Free Travel. Do you know why they got rid of it on the Galway to Dublin? Is it because BE had the Free Travel monopoly or something.

I remember someone having hassle getting on with a Free Travel pass from Galway to Clifden on City Link. Is that ok again now?

They only got paid a fixed sum per annum. So they had the crazy situation of a bus full of free passes who in reality were paying about €1 while leaving full paying passengers behind

They only got paid a fixed sum per annum. So they had the crazy situation of a bus full of free passes who in reality were paying about €1 while leaving full paying passengers behind

Wow. A bus full of free passes? I wonder how often this happened as they are on the hour pretty much.

Did it only happen on the Dub/Galway route or do you know what the deal is with the Gal/Clifden?

Why doesn't the same thing happen on the train I wonder?

Wow. A bus full of free passes? I wonder how often this happened as they are on the hour pretty much.

Did it only happen on the Dub/Galway route or do you know what the deal is with the Gal/Clifden?

Here is a previous thread. I haven't read it yet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056741610&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Any time I am queuing for a ticket at Heuston St for Galway I notice so, so many people holding those free passes. I would put the percentage at 50% at least on what I see. Incredible.

I thought there was a time when you could use them only outside rush hour?

I see this here, some routes were privatised, lots of expensive buses to popular routes and fewer busses to less popular areas-like those that dont have a hospital or school. Bus co's collect subsidies for running to those quieter areas and buses run less than a handful of times that dont suit anyone. Would be very shocked if that doesn't happen here too if they privatise. Then there is the whole under paid/overtired drivers issue.

Certainly aren't any underpaid drivers in BE anyway,overpaid and not doing enough work inmy experience.

• Advertisement

CityLink had stopped taking them at all. But as I've recently learned, they have started again on all routes except Dublin/Galway express (ie they even take them on the multi-stop Dublin/Galway). Officially you have to book in advance using a special page on their website.

GoBus still don't take them.

It wouldn't surprise me if a large proportion of a train or inter-city bus was people on FTP at certain times of the day. Ditto the suburban buses at some times of day. (Don't every assume that a bus at 10am will be faster than one at 8am - there may be fewer passengers, but they take longer on average to get on and off.)

There are no rules about hours when the FTP can be used: sometimes elderly/disabled people have hospital appointments first thing in the morning, so they should be allowed to use them then is how the argument goes. I don't know if there ever were such rules here. Despite this, some of the private companies do take them, despite the effective fares they get from DSP being very, very low.

Where is here, please?

In Ireland, privates started operating on some inner city and inter-town routes that the state-owned bus company didn't want to serve. Some are better operations than the state owned company (Mr Burke and Mr BusLink, take a bow), some are worse (no names shall pass my fingers), many are much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Bus Éireann aren't being missed as much as they would have hoped.

Where is here, please?

In Ireland, privates started operating on some inner city and inter-town routes that the state-owned bus company didn't want to serve. Some are better operations than the state owned company (Mr Burke and Mr BusLink, take a bow), some are worse (no names shall pass my fingers), many are much the same.
    Outer London and my colleagues in Birmingham have said the same, spend time in galway as part of my work as well, the only bus that works for my timetable and area is BE, tho the other crowd pass through one an hour and are a ten minute walk from me, BE are less than 5. While that's not a bad thing, as im able bodies and not overly tied to time. I can't see parts of say knocknacarra/barna being serviced on a regular enough basis to satisfy demand, due to population with private busses when BE dont do it. I dont have the answers, but what I referred is the way privatisation works in lots of places

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

The dont seems aworried about the poor retired elderly people that was left without a bus service.

I use the bus service a lot at weekends so i find it a pain in the arse. Its also a 2 day camel ride to go for a pint now.

ya what a bunch of pr1ck$ the bus drivers are, they should really have accepted any cuts to their wages and entitlements just to suit the poor retired eldrely people that are left without a bus service temporarily, it's not forever like

cop onto yourself there Gordo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

How will you be able to use the Bus Eireann services in bad weather if you hope they will go bust? Don't get it.

I cycle 95% of time in Galway City but I really value the services Bus Eireann put on in the City, they take many cars off the road in a City that already has so much car traffic (much of it generated from the County but thats for another thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Outer London and my colleagues in Birmingham have said the same, spend time in galway as part of my work as well, the only bus that works for my timetable and area is BE, tho the other crowd pass through one an hour and are a ten minute walk from me, BE are less than 5. While that's not a bad thing, as im able bodies and not overly tied to time. I can't see parts of say knocknacarra/barna being serviced on a regular enough basis to satisfy demand, due to population with private busses when BE dont do it. I dont have the answers, but what I referred is the way privatisation works in lots of places
    Not the way it will happen here. The winners of the tender get a set fee for delivery of a set number of services to a set standard.
    BE, if still in existence, will be able to apply for these as well.

How will you be able to use the Bus Eireann services in bad weather if you hope they will go bust? Don't get it.

It's not BE or no one. If BE go bust, then its likely that Stagecoach or similar would tender to run the service.

While it would be great to see one of the local operators get it, i doubt they could scale up to the required extent quickly enough.

. I can't see parts of say knocknacarra/barna being serviced on a regular enough basis to satisfy demand, due to population with private busses when BE dont do it.

Are you familiar with what happened in the Rahoon end of Knocknacarra?

I wasn't here for it, but have been told that BE basically weren't interested in serving all the new developments there - and thats jow CityDirect got a look in.

• Advertisement

Not the way it will happen here. The winners of the tender get a set fee for delivery of a set number of services to a set standard.
    BE, if still in existence, will be able to apply for these as well.

I hope it works the way you think it will, what i have seen is the private busses either stop in places so far from where the centre of population that it's impossible for some sectors of the population to get to the stop OR that they take the money and run the bus to those less populated areas at times no one wants to travel and years down the line, use lack of use as an excuse to not run the bus at all.

Advertisement