Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAU 24 Hour World Championships, Belfast, July 1/July 2, 2017

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

wowzer wrote: »
    No concrete updates yet I'm afraid, I'm awaiting verification before I post, but I will post as soon as I get word.

Thank you, appreciate that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Rockyman7 wrote: »

Some run by Enduro, picked up a mountain of places in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

I think Ososlo was caught by Yvonne Naughton (112.7 miles) in the last hour. Pretty sure she held 2nd for the Open, and was 6th of the Irish women. I'd guess she came in at about 112.2 miles, unless she had hit the mat just before 11 am, in which case she's on about 111.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

A disastrous race for me. I felt really good early on but kept myself in check and didn't think I started out too fast (still don't). However, the legs completely seized up at midnight and then it was just a brutal march to the end.

At some point I took one paracetamol which got me back running for all of 3 laps. I decided that taking another tablet to mask the pain was only asking to do myself find damage, do I didn't.

Oh, and I'm a complete idiot for panicking when I could not find my timing chip 30 minutes before the start. They gave me another one, which caused some minor confusion in the intermediate results. I found my own chip a few hours later in my bag!

Very nearly fainted straight after the end. Thankfully two guys caught me just as I was going down.

Will have to think if I ever want to do this to myself again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Paul61

Nirunning.co.uk has a report and link to the full results including the Open race.
    (Can't post the link as I'm a new user.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

https://nirunning.co.uk/results-ni-running/

Extra bit not added yet for Open Race so a bit to be added on yet.... 112.2 or so for me and 2nd female in Open Race.
    Beaten by half a mile or less for 5th Irish female!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Ososlo wrote: »

Second place :):) Officially. Well done A. How're the legs this morning?

Neady83 wrote: »
    Second place :):) Officially. Well done A. How're the legs this morning?

Thanks!!! I can't really move them but totally worth all the pain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Some very solid results all around.

By my count 5 boardsies over the 110 mile mark. Well done all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Well done to Enduro on 18th overall and top Irish runner. 246km.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Mixed emotions for me.

When I was running I was going really well with a forecasted 140mile+ distance. I ended up with calf and hamstring problems and spent a total of over two hours off track getting massages. Then when I did get going it would take 3 laps or more to loosen up again. So, happy to get to 127 miles but it could have been so much better. I also got a 100 mile PB of 16hrs 28mins which only shows how much I struggled in the latter 8 hours.

I wouldn't change any tactics in the future except for maybe going a little slower in the first 8 hours.

Great to chat and run with some legends out there and there was a great buzz on the last few laps.

Another thing to mention is the tracking. It was a joke and it looks like they gave up on the tracking screen on the track about half way through.
    It doesn't make a huge difference to the individual athletes because you are just plugging away as hard as you can, but for the teams it must have been a real headache.

A bit embarrassing really. If I were the organisers I would be contesting payment to the tracking company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Loved this. Great crack. Could very well get used to it. Meet a few Demi-Gods.....:)

Bloody chip fell off after about 50k :D cough:D....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Ososlo wrote: »
    https://nirunning.co.uk/results-ni-running/

Extra bit not added yet for Open Race so a bit to be added on yet.... 112.2 or so for me and 2nd female in Open Race.
    Beaten by half a mile or less for 5th Irish female!!!

That's a wonderful result, congratulations, and there is no limit ahead of you to see how far you can go in your next race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Ed McGroarty

217km for me. 3 mile pb.
    5th in the open race.

I was more so delighted with how I managed and executed my race this year rather than the overall result. now I just need to work on increasing the pace and shortening the breaks (4x10mins.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

final official results withbthe extras added on

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1lKHlij18qIX196bzRXNnM1OHM/view

That's a wonderful result, congratulations, and there is no limit ahead of you to see how far you can go in your next race!

Thanks! I do feel very positive about my future in the 24 hour game!

I'm really sorry things didn't go to plan for you and then that your result was so badly messed up. Looks like the IAU are on the case now and all splits will be released soon for each athlete.

I really hope recovery is going well in every way.

217km for me. 3 mile pb.
    5th in the open race.

I was more so delighted with how I managed and executed my race this year rather than the overall result. now I just need to work on increasing the pace and shortening the breaks (4x10mins.)

Well done again! Absolutely brilliant result! Delighted for ya! I hope you write up a report for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

KJ wrote: »
    There is an over 65's woman, Colette O'Hagan from Dundalk currently at 130km. Fantastic running from her.
    She came first in her age group to get the gold medal. 142km. Incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OiOiOi

Attended this for a few hours as a spectator. Very competitive and exciting but the timing seemed unacceptable and needlessly challenging

This was my first experience watching a 24 hour event, is that kind of timing issue normal?

OiOiOi wrote: »
    Attended this for a few hours as a spectator. Very competitive and exciting but the timing seemed unacceptable and needlessly challenging

This was my first experience watching a 24 hour event, is that kind of timing issue normal?

Absolutely not normal, no. I've seen intermittent outages before but never anything even remotely like this. And I sure have never seen a timing board displaying wrong info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Looks like Enduro set an Irish record for the 24 hour.

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2017/07/revised-results-for-irish-24-hour.html?m=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Djoucer wrote: »

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2017/07/revised-results-for-irish-24-hour.html?m=1

In fairness to see "ordinary"ppl run so fast for so long is amazing and its great to see Enduro leading the way.

Djoucer wrote: »

Well done Enduro. Amazing achievement!

I got two extra laps added onto my distance but I think it should have actually been three after looking at their data. No worries though, I'm beyond caring at this stage. I feel sorry for the organisers because they did everything else right but were let down by championchip timing.

The data changes were issued with degrees of confidence marked in against each change (50%-100%). Which highlights the fact that the new results are probably also inaccurate, only less inaccurate than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm sure there are all sorts of challenges in timing a 24 hour event, but the scale of the screwup here seems astonishing. Surely a better backup system could/should have been in place?

24-hour wide angle HD camera feed at lap point? All athlete splits could easily be recreated from that, given video's built in timecode system. Tedious but reliable.

I'm not one to knock race organisers usually, but this was world championships, and some of the snafus listed there seem unbelievable - reliance on wifi when hard wired connection available etc etc.:confused:

Medals awarded, then taken back or downgraded - ouch.

Congrats to enduro and everyone else but is there always going to be a doubt about these results?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Congrats to enduro and everyone else but is there always going to be a doubt about these results?

Some of the corrected data has a confidence value of no more than 50% according to their own email, so ... yes, absolutely, there will always be a doubt.

The US team have put in a protest. No surprise since they were hit hard with the corrections (women lost gold, men lost bronze). This still isn't settled yet.

Advertisement