Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest fence for garden to enclose hens

• 07-04-2017 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I want to split my back garden in half, and put a fence down so that I can have free-range hens in one half. What is the cheapest fence for this, and where could I buy the fence?
    Thanks in advance
    De Mello

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Do you have any other animals?
    What's the rest of the perimeter like?
    How much fence length will you have to build?

I split our back garden like that about a year ago and used post and 3 rail fence with heavy mesh on the inside.
    I also have a double wire on top of that to add a bit of height and make it more of a challenge to dogs... and goats...
    You probably won't need to build to the spec that can hold a horse overnight if required, but you need to think what you'll encounter.

What might be of use to you though is that the fence is about 5' high and only one of our hens ever gets over it.
    She's a Sussex and better with the wings than the others.

Have you planned on what they'll use to roost in?
    We got a large ark which can be moved regularly to rest the space under it, and gets them off the ground behind two doors.
    Rats dig in under it every now and then looking for food, but no problems yet with foxes.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement