Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this nightclub being sexist

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Jayop wrote: »
    No, but when I do I prefer mixed session

membership fees comes up as an issue, if men are paying the same as women but can only go 80%-90% of the time compared to women who can go 100% of the time, you have an inequality.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ah but there are always ways around policies that are put in place to prevent Insurance Sexism: https://www.its4women.ie (company is based in Northern Ireland and and not governed by Irish Law)
    They actually will quote men, they're discriminatory in name only. They trade as half a dozen different names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

silverharp wrote: »
    membership fees comes up as an issue, if men are paying the same as women but can only go 80%-90% of the time compared to women who can go 100% of the time, you have an inequality.

I guarantee that any gym currently offering woman only sessions would do the same if there was a demand for men only sessions. I get what you're saying but if you don't want those sessions to be men only then complaining after that woman can go all the time is a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭elbagarihno

TheChizler wrote: »
    They actually will quote men, they're discriminatory in name only. They trade as half a dozen different names.

So you are saying that a 45 old man, full no claims, no accidents would get the same quote as his 45 year old wife through this site? I doubt that, but will have to take your word for it, until that is I get the time to ask them for a quote..

its4women.ie doesn't trade under any other name, the parent company MCL Insurance Services Ltd trades under many different names though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So you are saying that a 45 old man, full no claims, no accidents would get the same quote as his 45 year old wife through this site? I doubt that, but will have to take your word for it, until that is I get the time to ask them for a quote..

its4women.ie doesn't trade under any other name, the parent company MCL Insurance Services Ltd trades under many different names though.

Yeah I've tried it myself. That's what I mean the parent company trades under lost of names to appeal to each market segment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Jayop wrote: »
    Is there a demand for one? Like every man I know who goes to the gym is quite happy for it to be mixed. If there was demand for a men's only session then the gym would facilitate that.

Would you use a men's only gym?

I wouldnt use a mens only gym as I am not exactly the body build type so I would feel odd :)

My point is that I am excluded from some gyms because they are women only..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

I've always wondered why feminists have never objected to free entry nights for women given that they essentially use women as bait.

Why would they? A large part of feminism was advocating autonomy and free will. Women are bringing the punters in, but once the punters are there, the women attracted by the free entry are under no obligation to even have any encounter with them. If anything, I could see the more militant feminists being rather gleeful at the notion of men being "duped" like that.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    Why would they? A large part of feminism was advocating autonomy and free will. Women are bringing the punters in, but once the punters are there, the women attracted by the free entry are under no obligation to even have any encounter with them. If anything, I could see the more militant feminists being rather gleeful at the notion of men being "duped" like that.

indeed , the focus here should really be to point out how exploitative night clubs are for men and to either avoid them or know exactly the setup is that they are paying for :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

indeed , the focus here should really be to point out how exploitative night clubs are for men and to either avoid them or know exactly the setup is that they are paying for :D

As we all know, the more miltant feminist wings are just looking for things that benefit women ie. such as free nightclub entry. They would in their hoop complain about women being used to lure men in. I envisage them cackling at the hapless menfolk*. Unfortunately for them, these promotions probably do result in a handful of the men who avail of the offer getting laid on any given ladies' night. :D

*dramatisation may not have happened

As we all know, the more miltant feminist wings are just looking for things that benefit women ie. such as free nightclub entry. They would in their hoop complain about women being used to lure men in. I envisage them cackling at the hapless menfolk*. Unfortunately for them, these promotions probably do result in a handful of the men who avail of the offer getting laid on any given ladies' night. :D

*dramatisation may not have happened

it would be interesting to see some data :pac: but lets assume you have some skills, If you go once a week for a year (xmas and Easter off) €50 per night, that's €2500 per year which is a lot when you are typically younger and don't have lots of free cash. so for this investment lets say 1 in 4 nights leads to some sexy time. is it a good return on time and cash? it seems like online dating might get you and excuse the pun more bang for your buck?

• Advertisement

it would be interesting to see some data :pac: but lets assume you have some skills, If you go once a week for a year (xmas and Easter off) €50 per night, that's €2500 per year which is a lot when you are typically younger and don't have lots of free cash. so for this investment lets say 1 in 4 nights leads to some sexy time. is it a good return on time and cash? it seems like online dating might get you and excuse the pun more bang for your buck?

Well yeah, the whole idea of ladies' nights is completely outdated. Tinder is a much better method these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Why would they?

Like I said already... because these promotions essentially use women as bait... surely the ultimate form of objectification.

As for pointing out that they are not under any obligation to hook up.. nobody suggested they were and that misses the point. Lapdancers and female models are not under any obligation to be with the men but that has never stopped feminists complaining about how they have been used.

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/629282183987994624

Like I said already... because these promotions essentially use women as bait... surely the ultimate form of objectification.

Actually, I'd say some feminists would regard it as turning objectification to their favour. It's more exploitative to men than women. As said, women go for free, but there's no obligation to even talk to menfolk once in the establishment. Once inside, they can wriggle off the hook. And a lot of feminists have no issues with lapdancing and stripping. Louise O'Neill isn't really representative, she's an Irish Times clickbait hire. All newspaper have clickbaits hires on their payroll, it's a must these days with revenues plummeting.

I mean, that fact that there tends to be no objection from feminists quarters about ladies' nights shows that it doesn't really bother any of them. And, well, that's it. If it doesn't, it doesn't. We can only speculate as to why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Millennial Feminists are not real feminists. They are just millennials who have a specific bandwagon to jump on to try to "find their identity" in this big bad world.

Millennials who are over privillaged (i bet you never met a "privilaged feminist haha") are the real threat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

it is against the 2010 EU equality act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

TheChizler wrote: »

That annoying advert they had on the box should be reason enough to close them down!

"We know we're better drivers don't we girls".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That annoying advert they had on the box should be reason enough to close them down!

"We know we're better drivers don't we girls".

its all a marketing tactic, "silly men, women are better" is a tried and tested marketing tactic (see just about every ad for a household cleaning / laundry product with the dumb man in it)

those 'women only' insurers are also notorious for loading specific cars (mini cooper, peugeot 206, smart cars, other 'hairdresser' cars) because they know well about the massive risk that they'll have a few carpark accidents.

I mean, that fact that there tends to be no objection from feminists quarters about ladies' nights shows that it doesn't really bother any of them. And, well, that's it. If it doesn't, it doesn't. We can only speculate as to why.

You missed the point by a country mile there tbf and also misinterpreted sarcasm for genuine philosophical pondering. We don't need to speculate as to why it is that feminists have never historically had a problem with women being used as bait on these 'free entry for ladies nights', as we already know why: IT SUITS THEM NOT TO!

They get free entry to clubs for heaven sake, while men have to pay, what's not to love. Was the same situation with car insurance over the years when it was far more blatantly sexist than it is now. The same people that were grand with it, would have been on streets banners in hand had the sexism gone the other way and had not been benefiting them.

It's the litmus test for whether or not a person genuinely has an issue with societal inequality really, show them a situation where thier gender benifits from area of sexism and if they are suddenly not as bothered about that clear example of inequality, well then that's not what was fueling their soapboxing on the issue of sexism to begin with... twas something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Recently a nightclub was doing a 'ladies night' theme. All girls got into the nightclub for free, but lads had to pay €5 for admission.

Is this not sexist? How can this nightclub be allowed discriminate based on gender. Imagine they had a white people night, or male night, there would be uproar.

Its extremely sexist . I agree with you 100%. Its' discrimination towards customers on the basis of gender.

I wonder what would happen if you told the bouncers you identify as a female despite looking male ? Or turned up in drag ? I'd say that would be a good laugh for a bunch of Mens Rights Activists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

I have no issue with mens rights as they pertain to serious issues such as;

-suicide
    -educational opportunities
    -poverty
    -homelessness
    -parental rights

to name but a few.

I have a zero fooks given policy when it comes to anyones "rights" to nightclubs.

Pick your battles. Its an imperfect world we live in.

This, exactly. Some of the stuff on this forum is ludicrous in its pomposity, and I write as a very middle-aged man.

I wonder what would happen if you told the bouncers you identify as a female despite looking male ? Or turned up in drag ? I'd say that would be a good laugh for a bunch of Mens Rights Activists.

Well, if they were anyway effeminate I would say they would let them in free without much argument just in case, as there would be far too much chance of seriously bad PR for them were they to insist on ID clarifying gender for example and refuse anyone who did not have it. The club would be slaughtered on social media for a start and the red tops would no doubt have a field day. As a result I'd say staff at venues that have Ladies Nights are intructed to not argue with anyone that identifies as female on entry barring obvious chancers.

Advertisement