Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

farming bargains / deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Muckit wrote: »
    I'd be just wary. She's have till been cheap at twice the price

Auction number scribbled on it, been sitting somewhere a long time cause the pins complete with balls are rusted solid in the frame .......

Apparently you can close the fertilizer flow off for each spinner independently, allowing you drive right along a drain and spread away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Apparently you can close the fertilizer flow off for each spinner independently, allowing you drive right along a drain and spread away from it.

Great job, you can see how poor the land looks under and beside fences compared to rest of field after a couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I picked up a forcefield fault finder in Taltys, lisseycasey, co Clare for €39.99. Cheapest I've come across is 79.99 elsewhere.

422494.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 24,449 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I picked up a forcefield fault finder in Taltys, lisseycasey, co Clare for €39.99. Cheapest I've come across is 79.99 elsewhere.

422494.JPG
    Good deal there

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

422494.JPG

Grabbing the fence with your hand is free 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We got a little keyring thing. It bleeps when you put it near the fence if there's a shock in it. Was under a tenner. Dont even need to get out of jeep to check the shock.

rushvalley wrote: »
    Grabbing the fence with your hand is free 😂

There's a neighbour here that can grab a live wire with no effect to him. Not one handle on the farm. It's a bastard to open a gap in his place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    We got a little keyring thing. It bleeps when you put it near the fence if there's a shock in it. Was under a tenner. Dont even need to get out of jeep to check the shock.

We got that one aswell ,its handy . The old fella rang one day to say that I would have to check the fence cos he is gone too deaf to hear the beep .
    Went home in the evening and not a mag out of it either , he hadn't the fence switched on at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

Reggie. wrote: »
    There's a neighbour here that can grab a live wire with no effect to him. Not one handle on the farm. It's a bastard to open a gap in his place

:D:D:D:D:D

he must have hands or feet made of plastic!!!! or a fence powered by imagination...not a bad method of discouraging casual sightseers

I have the beeper as well...i find it good, it sort of indicates the strength of a fence based on how far away you hold it from the wire (up to a limit) ...does that fault finder not do more than just indicate if theres a shock in a fence lads, doesn't it tell you what direction to go to find the fault/earthing place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

amacca wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D

he must have hands or feet made of plastic!!!! or a fence powered by imagination...not a bad method of discouraging casual sightseers

I have the beeper as well...i find it good, it sort of indicates the strength of a fence based on how far away you hold it from the wire (up to a limit) ...does that fault finder not do more than just indicate if theres a shock in a fence lads, doesn't it tell you what direction to go to find the fault/earthing place

Yeah it has an Arrow and level of loss. 1 minor to 9 serious earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

It's a good grinder but they usually sell the 9" and 4" ones together for €150

Out of these two choices which would people recommend ? (Ignoring the price difference & the flap discs.)

HITACHI 9" AND 4½" ANGLE GRINDER BUNDLE €143.91
    (WITH €70 WORTH OF 7" FLAP DISCS FREE)

http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4817

Makita DK0056 Angle Grinder Twin Pack 110 Volt and 240 Volt Kit €153.74

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/makita-dk0056-240v-angle-grinder-twin-pack-kit/p-e13818

The Makitas come with a 3 year warranty which alone probably justifies the extra €10 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The grandfather was the same after he had a minor stroke in his 60's, he would only get a slight tingle in his hand even if he grabbed hold of the fence. He had near 30 years of phase tester free fencing after that.

Alfie1 wrote: »
    Out of these two choices which would people recommend ? (Ignoring the price difference & the flap discs.)

http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4817

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/makita-dk0056-240v-angle-grinder-twin-pack-kit/p-e13818

The Makitas come with a 3 year warranty which alone probably justifies the extra €10 ;)

Hard to know. I've the Hitachi grinders here. No bother for the lastb4 years or so and have done plenty of guntering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Hard to know. I've the Hitachi grinders here. No bother for the lastb4 years or so and have done plenty of guntering

And I have a Makita 9 inch and it is a great grinder makes my previous DeWalt look like a toy. But can't compare to the Hitachi as never had one. But I've never heard of anyone complain about them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

worked with a lad for years like that. he said the strongest mains fence only gave him a tiny tingle even when it would be raining.

we were out moving cattle one wet day and he pushed down the fence from one paddock to the next. I did the same

Sweet mother of Jaysus the slap off it was unreal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

+1 on the Hitachi set

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

worked with a lad for years like that. he said the strongest mains fence only gave him a tiny tingle even when it would be raining.

we were out moving cattle one wet day and he pushed down the fence from one paddock to the next. I did the same

them lads that aren't affected by an electric fence deserve a teagasc research project

they're probably low in copper, I prescribe a beef lick or bolus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

amacca wrote: »
    them lads that aren't affected by an electric fence deserve a teagasc research project

they're probably low in copper, I prescribe a beef lick or bolus

he has passed away since. His son is a serious operator. shocking nice family. Always respected me as an employee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

worked with a lad for years like that.  he said the strongest mains fence only gave him a tiny tingle even when it would be raining.  

we were out moving cattle one wet day and he pushed down the fence from one paddock to the next.   I did the same    

Neighbour was telling us  in the pub on sat night a ewe got stuck in a ditch out the back of his house so he went out with the kids in tow to free it. Bent down under the wire to free her and she kicked out. Next thing he woke up to the kids laughing at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Either set are good enough, ive both here and they are ok, they get serious work, i noticed the makita burns brushes faster than the hitachi, but theres a smoother run with the makita. ive milwaukee too and neither touch it for working. A lot of the steel lads constantly run with bosch though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

he has passed away since. His son is a serious operator. shocking nice family. Always respected me as an employee

By any chance did he die of a heart attack? I used to grab fences a lot, in wellies, but I heard it's bad for the heart so I try not to do it now.

Anyone order a hitachi grinder yet?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Who2 wrote: »
    Either set are good enough, ive both here and they are ok, they get serious work, i noticed the makita burns brushes faster than the hitachi, but theres a smoother run with the makita. ive milwaukee too and neither touch it for working. A lot of the steel lads constantly run with bosch though.

I spent years working with Bosch grinders, i've seen them dropped from roofs, left out in the rain, buried in 2ft of mud and given a hot supper every working minute of the day, they are indestructable, they are no dearer than the rest and they are by far the most comfortable and lightweight grinder to use.
    And no, i don't work for Bosch!

Nothing wrong with those Hitachi's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was going out under a battery fencer wire one day pulling a rusty pigtail behind me. Got the butt of the pigtail caught in the ground and hit the top of it off my sweaty head and the fence at the same time. Shock was so bad I bit down hard. Wasn't right for about 10mins.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You'd feel 'reinvigorated' after it!

You'd come away dazed but with the weird satisfaction that you were going to find your stock where you left them when you went herding the following day!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Not sure if it is any good but heard there is Quinn Silage Wrap on offer in Ganly's in Athlone for 60 euro a roll if anyone lives close by

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Sillycave wrote: »
    Not sure if it is any good but heard there is Quinn Silage Wrap on offer in Ganly's in Athlone for 60 euro a roll if anyone lives close by

Are they paying that much to take it away?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I went with the Makita grinders, I've already registered them onlline for the 3 year warranty. They'll have an easy enough life here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Agri direct have 2 geared reels for 70e. Don't think you'd get them cheaper than that. https://www.agridirect.ie/product/geared-fencing-reel-x-2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Agri direct have 2 geared reels for 70e. Don't think you'd get them cheaper than that. https://www.agridirect.ie/product/geared-fencing-reel-x-2

Would the Gallagahers still be better though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

f140 wrote: »
    Would the Gallagahers still be better though?

Better by far. I have 2 of those and plan to replace them with Gallaghers fairly soon.

Advertisement