Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

farming bargains / deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Agri direct have 2 geared reels for 70e. Don't think you'd get them cheaper than that. https://www.agridirect.ie/product/geared-fencing-reel-x-2

They are the ones mentioned at the start of the thread. I bought 2 and they are crap. Save yourself the hassle and buy one right one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Had hitatchi grinders at work 10 years ago n were dirt, must have upped there game since, metabo not much better. Makita were pretty decent n super skilsaws. Always found dewalt good. Had a fein grinder with a great gizmo on the back for changing disc, did serious work but megabucks iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

croot wrote: »
    They are the ones mentioned at the start of the thread. I bought 2 and they are crap. Save yourself the hassle and buy one right one

What was wrong with them. Would they be ok on a beef farm as opposed to a dairy farm where reels are moved every day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What was wrong with them. Would they be ok on a beef farm as opposed to a dairy farm where reels are moved every day.
    The plastic guide on the front to keep the polywire from wrapping around the outside, rather than the inside of the reel where it is supposed to go, is very flimsy and will fall off in no time.

You are left with slowly reeling in the wire to stop having to unwind it from around the handle when it does fall off.

It isn't much of a problem if you aren't using the reel very often but, if you're using it nearly every day, the cheapness novelty wears off very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I am on a beef farm and wouldn't be using it every day but when you do want to use it as Buford said you will spend more time trying to get the plastic guide back on or unwinding the wire from the axle where it seems to get stuck every 5 seconds than actually winding it in. Then the latch for holding the reel is far to loose and can slip off the cog causing it to unwind. Not really a problem when it's up but if you are strip grazing and moving the wire the cattle seem to sense when the latch will give and the wire loosens are they are gone through in a shot. Not a patch on a proper geared reel.

• Advertisement

Bought two of the sh@gging things yesterday. However I have nice quite friesian bullocks the Ff@@king wire could be near on the ground and they would hardly step over it.:p.

I will be using it to split paddocks in two. in general i find strip grazing it is a waste of time. This year on really heavy covers 200kgs+ I pre mowed great job if the mower is on. you would have to top anyway so it the same job. You can pre mow for 2-3 days and let them the lot as long as the weather is not cooking

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

enricoh wrote: »
    Had hitatchi grinders at work 10 years ago n were dirt, must have upped there game since, metabo not much better. Makita were pretty decent n super skilsaws. Always found dewalt good. Had a fein grinder with a great gizmo on the back for changing disc, did serious work but megabucks iirc

I think you were unlucky with them or got ones from a dodgy batch.
    I bought a 9 inch one from b&q 10 years ago for 84 euro
    Great grinder. Some amount of cutting done . Its on its 3rd set of brushes.
    That said from new when it would go under pressure there was an odd sound from the gearbox but it never gave bother

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

enricoh wrote: »
    If u look around any building site now ul hardly see dewalt , majority of the stuff I see is makita. Them combo sets are everywhere . Friend of mine an electrican tried every make of 24v drill and said only one to last was Milwaukee gear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

If u look around any building site now ul hardly see dewalt , majority of the stuff I see is makita. Them combo sets are everywhere . Friend of mine an electrican tried every make of 24v drill and said only one to last was Milwaukee gear

ive milwaukee stuff for years now that have outlasted everything else bought in between. although i bought an impact gun a few weeks back that seems to have a dodgy switch. the makita kits seem great value but the batteries arent worth a monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Makita batteries are pure dirt! I've dealt drills now and v happy with them.. so far! Have Makita corded grinders and couldnt get to the end of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have Hitachi lithium ion cordless drills. Very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭joeyboy12345

Herdwatch have an offer until 2moro, its 3 euro a month for 1st 3 months with the option to cancel after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Well I put my money where my mouth is!
    Bought 2 no. 9" dewalt grinders and a bosch 18v li ion cordless (no batteries) from the buyaparcel.com in the uk.
    Grinders were 99stg each, drill 52stg and tenner delivery. No vat with the vat number. 260stg is about e300 methinks.
    Pretty good value imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Suckler

Muckit wrote: »
    Makita batteries are pure dirt! I've dealt drills now and v happy with them.. so far! Have Makita corded grinders and couldnt get to the end of them.

Mate of mine always persisted with Makita, I think he tried to convince himself more than me that they lasted! Eventually he changed to Hitachi. I have two dewalt cordless drills that are over 15 years old I'd say. Still going well although I did get new batteries 3 years ago. Picked up a new 18V dewalt on Screwfix recently as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Have a battery makita and a corded dewalt. Both bought last year. Both good drills but makita useless on anything apart from screws or drilling some wood. Find the battery quite good. The dewalt is a great drill. Had a bit of granite to drill last week and it chewed through it. Same with heavy steel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

People need to remember there's different grades within each make too so may not be a true reflection of how each brand goes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Have a battery makita and a corded dewalt. Both bought last year. Both good drills but makita useless on anything apart from screws or drilling some wood. Find the battery quite good. The dewalt is a great drill. Had a bit of granite to drill last week and it chewed through it. Same with heavy steel

Bought a dewalt dcd996 cordless drill recently, and I haven't used the corded once since. No question but my corded makita is more powerful, but the battery drills have really come in leaps and bounds in the past 5-10 years.

I echo the above regarding differences within makes. It is like hooking a cowbox to a Yaris and saying landcruisers are no good to tow.

Ebay is good for stuff. I got the drill there for about 120 euro (body only), far cheaper that it would cost in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Hard to believe. 17 year old MF4235 with only 655 hours. €25K.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-4235-only-655-hours/16096616

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,449 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-4235-only-655-hours/16096616

Still plastic on the seat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭kk.man

Reggie. wrote: »

Puts us all to shame...what price was it new back then?...I'd bet he didn't loose money on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

In daily use - so 6 minutes work a day

Reggie. wrote: »

Could be genuine looks very fresh. 40 hours a year though hard to believe or less than one a week. Even if it is right it expensive for a 17 year old tractor. Sub 20K is a more realistic price for a 2WD.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,449 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Could be genuine looks very fresh. 40 hours a year though hard to believe or less than one a week. Even if it is right it expensive for a 17 year old tractor. Sub 20K is a more realistic price for a 2WD.

Agreed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

would love to know what that tractor was doing for its life? Putting in 5 round bales twice a week in the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You just have to look at his yard to know that tractor was minded. Even the wheelbarrow is parked up in it's own spot.

You just have to look at his yard to know that tractor was minded. Even the wheelbarrow is parked up in it's own spot.

would not disagree but 2wd tractors are not in great demand. You will find a lot sub 4K hours. You will buy very clean 2wd tractors for sub 15K out of a dealer if you watch out. Would you give another 10-12K for 3K hours less and a private sale.

One thing he says is that it was in daily use. Is that to mean that he was using sub 10 minutes/day. Diesel engines need work when going. I prefer to buy a tractor that had 3-5K hours if buying a fresh one.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

No offence patsy, but by God the bargains thread is the wrong place for this one.
    Looks a serious clean example in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Grueller wrote: »
    No offence patsy, but by God the bargains thread is the wrong place for this one.
    Looks a serious clean example in fairness.

Looks good. Crack on lift control plastic if ur fussy , but them back tyres are look more like 1500 hrs use no???

satstheway wrote: »
    Looks good. Crack on lift control plastic if ur fussy , but them back tyres are look more like 1500 hrs use no???

Front tyres look well worn now that you noticed it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Far too much wear on the clutch pedal and brake pedal and the right hand side of the steering wheel to be genuine hours. She's a low hour machine but not that low.

Advertisement