Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McKee Barracks

• 07-04-2017 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭

Lovely building. But how many soldiers occupy all those ornate buildings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from East to Military. If the regulars here can't help - we can move this to Dublin City forum.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

The buildings are lovely on the outside but unremarkable on the inside.

Up until 2012 it held a large number of troops.

Less now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wasn't it built from the plans for a barracks to be built in India, due to a snafu, and the barracks planned for Ireland ended up in India?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Wasn't it built from the plans for a barracks to be built in India, due to a snafu, and the barracks planned for Ireland ended up in India?

Urban legend unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think it is a huge building but wonder about how many soldiers are stationed there? And how much is its upkeep.

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    I think it is a huge building but wonder about how many soldiers are stationed there? And how much is its upkeep.

There are multiple large buildings (some of which are listed).

There are a couple of hundred troops stationed there.

No idea of the upkeep.

Are you planning on petitioning about changing the use of the Barracks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There are multiple large buildings (some of which are listed).

There are a couple of hundred troops stationed there.

No idea of the upkeep.

Are you planning on petitioning about changing the use of the Barracks?

I often wonder what life is like in a barracks. Do the soldiers sleep in dormitory style rooms or what for example. Are there family units? What are all the different buildings used for? McKee seems very large to me. Its upkeep must be huge. They recently had new tiles put on in some of the roofs. When I pass it I never see a single soul. The odd horse being trained and that rarely too.

bobbyss wrote: »
    I often wonder what life is like in a barracks. Do the soldiers sleep in dormitory style rooms or what for example. Are there family units? What are all the different buildings used for? McKee seems very large to me. Its upkeep must be huge. They recently had new tiles put on in some of the roofs. When I pass it I never see a single soul. The odd horse being trained and that rarely too.

Some of the buildings required new roofs as they were in poor shape.

It is a large area and different buildings are used for different things.

Troops who live in have either a single or shared room. There are no family units in this Barracks anymore.

It's more of a HQ Barracks than an Operational one nowadays. If you are only passing by, you wont see much. Especially the horses which are at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you're passing the main gate (Blackhorse Ave) you won't see a lot unless the parade ground ('the square') is being used for a ceremonial parade ~ generally soldiers don't just slaunter across a parade ground.

There's a surprisingly large number of troops in McKee Bks, but you're not going to find out for operational/security reasons.

As someone posted, there are soldiers living there (all ranks), there is dining facilities (for all ranks), a well equip't gym, a garrison church, a world class equestrian training center (with stables) and its even got three pubs!.. Not forgetting a tailors workshop too.

Re. soldiers living there. Its not a luxury, and best avoided. Without expanding on it too much but the roads leading from the living in quarters to the messes (bars) is affectionally known as 'the boulevard of broken dreams' [work it out yourself].

The barracks is staffed and working 24/7, 365 days of the year.

The new roofs and other construction works the OP witnessed are on listed buildings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Esel wrote: »

They're buildings of an era. Former hospital / district court building on Brunswick Street North has similarities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement