Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statutory Declaration

Options
  • 07-04-2017 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Must the Statutory Declaration declaring a property be vacated for landlord's own use be served in conjunction with the Notice of Termination when terminating a tenancy? Or can it be issued after the notice has been served?

Thanks,
    Greasy

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Hi Folks,

Must the Statutory Declaration declaring a property be vacated for landlord's own use be served in conjunction with the Notice of Termination when terminating a tenancy? Or can it be issued after the notice has been served?

Thanks,
    Greasy

has to be in conjunction with it. Otherwise the notice is not valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

4ensic15 wrote: »
    has to be in conjunction with it. Otherwise the notice is not valid.

Thanks for the reply. The one I received also lacked a lot of the information that is required according to the template document I've seen on the RTB site. No mention of an offer of accommodation back should it become available within 6 months etc.

Thanks for the reply. The one I received also lacked a lot of the information that is required according to the template document I've seen on the RTB site. No mention of an offer of accommodation back should it become available within 6 months etc.
    off you go with your complaint so.

off you go with your complaint so.

Final question, can a tenant be evicted during RTB process?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

A tenant cannot be evicted unless by court order.

Although morally have you reason to doubt the LL's intention to move a close family member in there? If no, you should probably accept the notice and look for somewhere else.

If yes, appeal. But it is a public process.

• Advertisement

davindub wrote: »
    A tenant cannot be evicted unless by court order.

Although morally have you reason to doubt the LL's intention to move a close family member in there? If no, you should probably accept the notice and look for somewhere else.

If yes, appeal. But it is a public process.

LL tried to increase rent. We challenged it and now suddenly property is needed back for own use. We are engaged with RTB so waiting to see how it goes.

It's awful. The stress of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

LL tried to increase rent. We challenged it and now suddenly property is needed back for own use. We are engaged with RTB so waiting to see how it goes.

It's awful. The stress of it all.

Well best of luck, don't be worrying about it, I'm actually glad you are taking a case if the above is true, greedy landlords who act unlawfully give everyone else a bad name.

davindub wrote: »
    Well best of luck, don't be worrying about it, I'm actually glad you are taking a case if the above is true, greedy landlords who act unlawfully give everyone else a bad name.

Thanks. This is why we decided to pursue it. If we don't make a stand, some other poor shmucks will likely encounter the same difficulties. It's just a shame that it's had to come to this.

Roll on the days of owning my own home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Was the LL looking for a rent that was in line with the market?

I'm assuming you're in a property that isn't in the 4% rent cap area...

exaisle wrote: »
    Was the LL looking for a rent that was in line with the market?

I'm assuming you're in a property that isn't in the 4% rent cap area...

Yes - in line with market area. But doing so midway through a lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yes - in line with market area. But doing so midway through a lease.

If you have a lease he can't break it to move a relative in. The lease has to run its course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    If you have a lease he can't break it to move a relative in. The lease has to run its course

Spot on.

https://www.rtb.ie/search-results/news/article/2014/02/11/breaking-a-fixed-term-lease

While there is a dispute in being the tenancy continues, although the LL can terminate on different grounds.

While there is a dispute in being the tenancy continues, although the LL can terminate on different grounds.

We have no problem if LL wants property back for his own use. We'll happily vacate. We just want the termination process followed correctly. Last thing either party wants is an arduous Dispute/Adjudication process.

LL has been underhanded and aggressive about this from the beginning.

We have no problem if LL wants property back for his own use. We'll happily vacate. We just want the termination process followed correctly. Last thing either party wants is an arduous Dispute/Adjudication process.

LL has been underhanded and aggressive about this from the beginning.

You have to meet fire with fire.

Advertisement