Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to make sense of motherboards :(

Options
  • 07-04-2017 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I'm looking a building a PC again. It's years since I built the last one and I've lost touch with all that happened for years past .... Motherboards seem to exist in multiple formats around the same chipset.

I read this on :

http://motherboards.specout.com/compare/6432-6439/MSI-Z270-GAMING-M7-vs-MSI-Z270-GAMING-M5

"The MSI Z270 GAMING M7 and the MSI Z270 GAMING M5 are not compatible with CPUs with integrated graphics. Dedicated graphics cards (GPUs) will be required for both boards."
    End quote.

What does this mean in practice ?
    Does it mean all the graphics handling *HAS* to be handled by the Graphics Card GPU ?
    Do the motherboards not have Monitor output connectors ? Both the Z270 GAMING M5 and M7 have an HDMI output port.

In the context of gaming, does 'graphics output' mean a lot more than simple displaying a screen ?

What are the CPUs with integrated graphics ?

Thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And this is why you go to the horses mouth for info:
    • 1 x HDMI™ port, supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@30Hz(7th Gen CPU), 4096x2160@24Hz(6th Gen CPU), 2560x1600@60Hz
    • 1 x DisplayPort, supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2304@24Hz, 2560x1600@60Hz, 3840x2160@60Hz, 1920x1200@60Hz

Give specout a kick up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Oh No !!!

You mean I can't trust everything I read on the Internet !!! AAARRRGGGHHH !!!!

ED_E: 1 - Specout: Nil

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anchises wrote: »
    I'm looking a building a PC again. It's years since I built the last one and I've lost touch with all that happened for years past .... Motherboards seem to exist in multiple formats around the same chipset.

I read this on :

http://motherboards.specout.com/compare/6432-6439/MSI-Z270-GAMING-M7-vs-MSI-Z270-GAMING-M5

"The MSI Z270 GAMING M7 and the MSI Z270 GAMING M5 are not compatible with CPUs with integrated graphics. Dedicated graphics cards (GPUs) will be required for both boards."
    End quote.

What does this mean in practice ?
    Does it mean all the graphics handling *HAS* to be handled by the Graphics Card GPU ?
    Do the motherboards not have Monitor output connectors ? Both the Z270 GAMING M5 and M7 have an HDMI output port.

In the context of gaming, does 'graphics output' mean a lot more than simple displaying a screen ?

What are the CPUs with integrated graphics ?

Thanks .
    They're expensive motherboards, so they simply omitted the output ports since their expected customers will buy a 200+ dedicated GPU to handle that.

Advertisement