Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting out of retail management

Options
  • 07-04-2017 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hello!

Hope someone can advise me on a good path. I've been working now as a retail manager for 3 years and working in retail over 8 years. Sadly never went to college, but currently completed first year in business degree which I do in evenings. I want to escape retail but I dunno what avenue to take. I want really a career a company that I can grow with where prospects of moving up ladder are possible. What kind of career paths are possible for someone like me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hello!

Hope someone can advise me on a good path. I've been working now as a retail manager for 3 years and working in retail over 8 years. Sadly never went to college, but currently completed first year in business degree which I do in evenings. I want to escape retail but I dunno what avenue to take. I want really a career a company that I can grow with where prospects of moving up ladder are possible. What kind of career paths are possible for someone like me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

there are "supervisory management" qualifications you can do part time / distance. It would be quicker method of gaining a qualification and match your relevant experience.. It should get you in at the bottom in manufacturing, team leader, junior supervisor role where you could work up from and in a manufacturing company people find all sorts of opportunities

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hello!

What about Lidl/Aldi, yeah you may need to do a store manager role, but you could apply for the Area manager role, they will progress if you are good enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I was in a similar situation, but it was hotel management. Although management skills are transferable, you will normally have to start at the bottom of another industry and hope your skills shine through and you get promoted.

I went into IT, did a degree and won't say I started at the bottom, but not far off it, so the pay cut is well over 50%, but in IT I can have a career and importantly for me, a good career without having to go down the management route, which I am done with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Finished my law degree last year and was set to go to the Inns this year but things have set me back another year but anything is possible OP. I find dealing with hardened criminals much more pleasant than many retail customers!

Advertisement