Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with this ditch?

Options
  • 07-04-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭

So, I've just spent a couple of tough days cleaning out a ditch between myself and my neighbours gardens.

It was mostly taken over by ivy from next door, the roots were everywhere in the ditch, and now that I have got most of them out, I would like to try to keep them at bay. Is it possible? I was just going to spray the entire area with roundup, wait a few weeks and get a load of top soil thrown in.

DSC_0773_zpsc7hkqvmf.jpg
    DSC_0771_zpstjxwampd.jpg

I was hoping to fill in the ditch with soil and plant something in it, any recommendations? I was thinking something low maintenance but which would provide a bit of colour and variety.

This is the ditch now
    DSC_0779_zpsrnp5nkvf.jpg
    DSC_0778_zpscwffe6qs.jpg
    DSC_0777_zpsqtjtb0lo.jpg
    DSC_0776_zpsasqvfyqd.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No point spraying with roundup or any other weedkiller unless there is some growth to spray. You will never totally get rid of the ivy while it is growing nearby, you will just have to keep after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just seed it with grass like you have further down!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Just seed it with grass like you have further down!

Thanks for the replies folks.

I had thought about just seeding it, but there is a drop down of approx 12 inches into it, and it would make it awkward to mow as it's very uneven.

I had thought of a ton of top soil to bring the level up to the current grass level?

Would a load of bushes, or heathers or something work? As the gap between us and the neighbours is now quite open where it had been more closed before we trimmed back a lot of trees and wild hawthorn hedging, we would like something to provide a bit of privacy as well as colour

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Plant a bit of laurel or privet hedging??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nobbies wrote: »
    Plant a bit of laurel or privet hedging??

Funny, just what the OH said earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement