Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New passport - visa problem?

Options
  • 07-04-2017 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

So I'm planning on going on a J1 this summer and have submitted an online DS-160 form and scheduled an interview. However I've just realised that my passport expires in January so I need to renew it but I filled out the DS-160 form with the information of the old passport. Just wondering when I show up for interview at the embassy will there be any problems with having a new passport instead of the one from the form? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bring the old and new passports, there won't be a problem. The official you meet will be able to update your application with the new passport details.

In the days before Ireland was admitted to the visa waiver program, people (like me) with 'multiple indefinite' US visas used to bring their old (expired) passports when travelling to the US to show the visa - the passport had expired but the visa had not, there was never a problem.

BTW, 'multiple indefinite' referred to multiple entry and indefinite validity (never expires).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Why do you need a new passport if you are only going for the summer? The 6 month validity rule doesnt apply to the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

January wrote: »
    Why do you need a new passport if you are only going for the summer? The 6 month validity rule doesnt apply to the USA

+1 OP, unless the J1 documentation specifies otherwise, you do not need a passport than runs for 3 or 6 months beyond your planned trip to the US. My previous passport expired in early Jan. 2012 and I was able to travel with it for a three day trip for Thanksgiving in Nov. 2011 when it had barely 6 weeks left to run.

Advertisement