Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy insurance claim

Options
  • 07-04-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi I wanted some advice. I was in a minor accident recently in my mothers car (the insurance says I am insured to drive as I am over 25). I rear ended a car. It happened just before a round about. The accident was minor(15 km). No injuries very minor damage guards came and I admited liability. He said he wouldn't go through insurance and I agreed to pay for the car repairs (a bumper and boot ).He went to the garage a half hour later and we got a price to fix it. He said he wouldn't be claiming or anything.We arranged with the garage and him to bring the car back when parts were in and get it all sorted. Low and behold a week later a solicitors letter. A personal injury claim etc etc. Me and my mother went in to the insurance company and they said she had bonus protector and that I was covered under her policy. This was two weeks ago. Today I got a letter from the insurance company saying i wasn't insured and that insurance bureau of Ireland is taking over???? Iam wondering what is going on when it clearly states on my mum insurance I was insured and in the insurance office the same. I produced my licence and insurance in the Garda station. I have no insurance policy myself. I am very worried about this as it will basically ruin my life.As well the personal injury thing seems dodgey.Especially the way it all changed. I have my statment to the insurance company. They felt it needed investigation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Do you have a full licence?

The insurer may be trying to get away from the claim if you have a learner permit and were driving unaccompanied.

If you are named on the policy or if your mam has open drive and you are covered under the insurers terms for open drive then I don't k ow what the issue is.

Something is not adding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cobyoshi

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Do you have a full licence?

The insurer may be trying to get away from the claim if you have a learner permit and were driving unaccompanied.

If you are named on the policy or if your mam has open drive and you are covered under the insurers terms for open drive then I don't k ow what the issue is.

Something is not adding up.

Thanks for the response

I am not a named driver and I have a full licence. Something is not adding up and suspect the insurers are trying to get out of it in some way. It very bizzare and not logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

Does your mother have open drive on her policy for a certain age bracket and do you fall into this? If not and you are not a named driver then you are not insured to drive that car.

Sono wrote: »
    Does your mother have open drive on her policy for a certain age bracket and do you fall into this? If not and you are not a named driver then you are not insured to drive that car.

It says anyone over 25 with a full license
    I am 33 and have a full clean license.

Cobyoshi wrote: »

If it says this and your licence is valid and there is nothing else you haven't told us here then your insurance company has made a mistake.

Is there anything we are missing here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I can drive my Dad's car because I am over 25 and my daughter can drive my car because she is over 25 but we are both driving while covered by our own policies. When she is driving my car it is her own policy that is covering and not mine. Same when I drive my Dads, it's my policy/insurer that is on the hook if something goes wrong and not his. If I had no insurance policy of my own I could not drive my Dads car unless he added me as a named driver or had paid for open driving.

Are you misunderstanding the over 25 bit of her policy?

If you have your own policy and have driving of other cars and are fault driving someone else's car then the claim follows the driver but if you don't have a policy of your own and are covered to drive under open drive then you should be covered, I just don't get it....

If it says this and your licence is valid and there is nothing else you haven't told us here then your insurance company has made a mistake.

Is there anything we are missing here?
    They give no reason they just say their investigation shows I wasn't insured? Am I best to get my own solicitor. I am considering documenting this on camera.As it maybe of use to some people. How can they state I am insured in the office and then suddenly say I am not???

You need to read your mothers policy conditions, I would be amazed if they are saying you're not covered when in fact you are.

Very premature to get a solicitor to be honest but up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

It says that on the cert? I don't get how they could be saying you weren't insured then.

Get your mum to call and ask what their reasoning is because that doesn't make sense

• Advertisement

They give no reason they just say their investigation shows I wasn't insured? Am I best to get my own solicitor. I am considering documenting this on camera.As it maybe of use to some people. How can they state I am insured in the office and then suddenly say I am not???

I went in to the insurance office with my mother and they stated I was covered under her policy.

I went in to the insurance office with my mother and they stated I was covered under her policy.

Now this doesn't make any sense, have you read the policy booklet with the conditions like I said above? I don't know why they would say you were covered then realise you're not.

Did you only check cover after the event? Just curious about this part cos it's pretty careless if you omly checked cover after an accident.

I am going to go back in to the office on Monday and see what's going on. I wonder what the implications are if for some reason I am not insured but I can't see why I wouldn't be especially when they told me when I went in the first time that I was covered.

Your mother surely has her policy conditions at home in paper or in digital format, you could find out sooner than Monday surely.

I am going to go back in to the office on Monday and see what's going on. I wonder what the implications are if for some reason I am not insured but I can't see why I wouldn't be especially when they told me when I went in the first time that I was covered.

The problem with going in and asking is that you have no proof of what was said. If something is done over the phone at least there is a call recording or even better having it in writing by either letter or email.

In the meantime, you really should get out the cert and policy booklet so you can point out exactly where it says you are covered

Your mother surely has her policy conditions at home in paper or in digital format, you could find out sooner than Monday surely.

She's away at the moment. And I new I was insured but wanted to make sure 100% as insurance companies are tricky at the best of times.

All I would say is unless you have it in writing over verbally over the phone as the cow mentioned above what you were told in their shop does not stand up in court.

Was it a broker you went into by any chance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Is it possible for you to be insured on the mother's policy only if you have your own insurance policy on another car? Again, what you need to do is get the mother's policy and go through it with a fine tooth comb. Which insurance company is it?

It starts with an a and ends with an a three letters

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Who's name is the car registered in?
    Do you or your mother have any previous claims/convictions that were not disclosed? A-A are very tight on their underwriting.

Is it definitely open Drive and you aren't mixing up with driving of other cars?

Also if they have declined the claim they need you give you a reason so it should have been advised when you/your mother was told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cobyoshi wrote:
    It says anyone over 25 with a full license I am 33 and have a full clean license.

The policy document may state a condition that the driver is covered if they already have their own insurance. It should list the conditions that cover so that should be the first port of call.

Wexy86 wrote: »
    Who's name is the car registered in?
    Do you or your mother have any previous claims/convictions that were not disclosed? A-A are very tight on their underwriting.

Is it definitely open Drive and you aren't mixing up with driving of other cars?

Also if they have declined the claim they need you give you a reason so it should have been advised when you/your mother was told.

They told us I was covered in the office. It states over 25 and full license and the car is in her name and she has no points clean license etc

All I would say is unless you have it in writing over verbally over the phone as the cow mentioned above what you were told in their shop does not stand up in court.

Was it a broker you went into by any chance?
    No it was their office. The phone calls are recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Seems strange, according to their website (https://www.axa.ie/help/question/what-is-open-driving/) it is as you said anyone between 25-70 with full licence. I can't seem to get a copy of their policy booklet from the website, other insurers often have it, to check the full terms but seems strange alright. They do appear to have a my axa self service login which you might be able to log in to check the full details.

I'd be checking the terms and ringing on monday if not tomorrow asking them to explain why they think you are not covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Oddest scenario I've seen in a while. Insurers usually double check before they advise there is no indemnity, especially with an injury claim.

Thanks for your responses it's very bizzare. I 'll see if they are open tomorrow or call. It's just with my mother away they may not speak with means it her policy etc but we 'll see.

I also looked on their website seems very straight forward I couldn't download the online booklet or find it either.

You can get the booklets here:

https://www.axa.ie/axa-insurance-downloads/

They would need to be read in conjunction with the schedule and cert though

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MayBee

Could this have something to do with you admiting liability, isn't there a clause in most insurance policies whereby you are not to admit liability (even if you are blatantly in the wrong) I stand to be corrected on this.

• Advertisement

MayBee wrote: »
    Could this have something to do with you admiting liability, isn't there a clause in most insurance policies whereby you are not to admit liability (even if you are blatantly in the wrong) I stand to be corrected on this.
    This is what I am afraid of by admiring liability does it make the insurance null and void for some reason.

Advertisement