Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy insurance claim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cobyoshi

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I had a similar issue a few years back. Reversed into another car in a car park, no speed and little damage.

She went from offering to settle without insurance for £500 of damage to her car, to sending me a solicitors letter (to my workplace) and ended up getting £1400 for the car and a 5k injury claim.

I also hadn't notified my insurance company as far as I recall. I only did so when she bogged her arm in with the BS claim. Had no issues with the insurance company. Other than how they are stiffing me on premiums since.

Thanks for your response. This is interesting but still bizzare what they are doing to me.

I'd like to thank everyone for there responses. I haven't been able to sleep with the worry this matter has created. I have completely lost faith in any financial body within this country. Having been frauded by the bank a few years back.Lucky I recorded the meeting and loan insurance agreement.
    And now this will completely cripple me. I had just started a business last year and now this will completely wipe that out.Looks like I won't have the ability to drive let alone a cent to my name. I hope for the best for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cobyoshi wrote: »
    I'd like to thank everyone for there responses. I haven't been able to sleep with the worry this matter has created. I have completely lost faith in any financial body within this country. Having been frauded by the bank a few years back.Lucky I recorded the meeting and loan insurance agreement.
    And now this will completely cripple me. I had just started a business last year and now this will completely wipe that out.Looks like I won't have the ability to drive let alone a cent to my name. I hope for the best for tomorrow.

I wouldn't be getting yourself into a knot.

If what you are saying is true ie that your mother has open drive (any driver over 25 with a full clean licence is covered to drive the car) and you are within their parameters they CANNOT deny liability.

If they are saying you aren't / weren't covered to drive then either they made a giant faux pas or you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

I cannot believe what is actually going on here, absolute shocked that they are saying you had no cover, I have read the thread and I still can't see(maybe I missed it) why they said there was no cover, wish you well OP as this sounds like an absolute disgrace, solicitor and ombudsman all the way from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

OP has been asked repeatedly to quote the wording on the Insurance Certificate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

.....Small Print might be too small ????? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It says anyone over 25 with a full license
    I am 33 and have a full clean license.

Then you should be covered....unless there is something you aren't telling us OP.

I know everyone thinks that the Insurance companies are the Irish equivalent of the Mafia but they really aren't and there is no way they would say that you are not covered if your documents are that clear cut.

I would suggest you read over them again carefully because it sounds like you missed something.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Has to come down to whether the mother has open drive or not really. Hope you get sorted.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

gimli2112 wrote: »

A regulated entity must, within 10 business days of the making of a decision in respect of a claim, advise the
    claimant in writing of the outcome of the investigation explaining the terms of any offer of settlement. If the claim
    is denied, the reasons for the denial must be provided to the claimant in writing

So there should be a letter in the post shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Rod Munch wrote: »
    You might get lucky and get a decent, honest person but threads like this are cropping up more and more often so it proves that the majority of the public are scumbags when it comes to insurance claims.

No, no it does "prove" that. Your post is hyperbole.
    Sono wrote: »
    I cannot believe what is actually going on here, absolute shocked that they are saying you had no cover, I have read the thread and I still can't see(maybe I missed it) why they said there was no cover, wish you well OP as this sounds like an absolute disgrace, solicitor and ombudsman all the way from here on in.

Way to over react. Without knowing the policy, suggesting a trip to a solicitor and ombudsman is a knee jerk reaction. Either the insurance company has made a mistake, or they have not. Without the OP's input here, it's impossible to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

MarkR wrote: »
    So there should be a letter in the post shortly.
    From post 1
    Today I got a letter from the insurance company saying i wasn't insured and that insurance bureau of Ireland is taking over?
    It would appear that the insurance company has communicated to the OP as per
    If the claim is denied, the reasons for the denial must be provided to the claimant in writing

So the update on the situation. I went to a solicitor and he has contacted the insurance company they have given no reason for not providing cover and very quickly send a letter out to say they were now providing cover and no longer passing it on to the insurance bureau of Ireland and dealing with it themselves so thankful the worry is over. As as stated on tbe cert i was indeed covered. And i am glad I wouldn't be sued to death.
    Also footage has arisen of the person making a personal injuries claim he is playing rugby with a group that seems to be a regular meet up.This is dated after the accident. I just wondered what I should do with it. Also I can't seem to get any qoute what so ever off my past insurer so I am wondering is there any other companies out there that will give me an affordable qoute.

What do you mean by your last insurer? Is it not your mother's policy? Have her current insurer cancelled the policy?

What do you mean by your last insurer? Is it not your mother's policy? Have her current insurer cancelled the policy?

I was insured up untill July last year so I rang them as I had a policy with them for years up untill that point. Thought best to start there.
    No my mother policy wasn't cancelled as she had bonus protectorso the claimshe was told wouldn't effect her quote next year. They said that and insurance company are known to say stuff as i have learned but we 'll see next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was insured up untill July last year so I rang them as I had a policy with them for years up untill that point. Thought best to start there.
    No my mother policy wasn't cancelled as she had bonus protectorso the claimshe was told wouldn't effect her quote next year. They said that and insurance company are known to say stuff as i have learned but we 'll see next year.

You have to get 3 refusals and go to insurance board.

I believe your previous insurer will then have to quote you.

You have to get 3 refusals and go to insurance board.

I believe your previous insurer will then have to quote you.
    After i go to the umbudsman I can only assume the qoute will be unaffordable. I won't be driving for the next 5 years.Or am I wrong? Is there anyone else has had a similar experience? And trying to get insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

After i go to the umbudsman I can only assume the qoute will be unaffordable. I won't be driving for the next 5 years.Or am I wrong? Is there anyone else has had a similar experience? And trying to get insurance?

Correct could be huge amount but worth a try you never know.

Have you supplied the footage to solicitor and insurance company?

It's not the Ombudsman that you go to, it is the Declined Cases Committee in Insurance Ireland

http://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

Correct could be huge amount but worth a try you never know.

Have you supplied the footage to solicitor and insurance company?
    Hi worth a try I suppose. No i haven't gone with the footage yet. I have been been researching myself today as to what the best move to do is.It appears that even if it proves to fraudualant i will still be getting no qoutes or ones that are unaffordable untill it goes to court.My livelihood has been damaged greatly by his action which appears fraudualant. I will have to wait and see and research the authorities over this area.I have been researching the insurance industry as a whole over the last few weeks and the legals behind them,exams insurance workers take,case studies etc. (I wanted to be well informed when talking to my solicitor).Hopefully I can find a solution and be able to get back driving at an affordable price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

Glad to hear that they admitted to making a mistake. No harm letting them know you're peed off about it too. Speak to your claims handler and ask if they have a fraud unit you could speak to. Most of the big insurers do. Although defeating it outright is difficult and can take years. It is rare such cases are dismissed entirely in this country.

mrsbeebee wrote: »
    Glad to hear that they admitted to making a mistake. No harm letting them know you're peed off about it too. Speak to your claims handler and ask if they have a fraud unit you could speak to. Most of the big insurers do. Although defeating it outright is difficult and can take years. It is rare such cases are dismissed entirely in this country.

Ya they didn't admit the mistake they just wanted us taking the bill for the legal fees, claim etc They try this on alot of people apparently and some sign it which by doing so signs all the rights in the future to fight the case and the fees etc.Lucky we got a solicitor and got them to stand by their contract.
    It's also true things take years and mean while I won't be able to get a qoute or insurance and can't drive.And after what seems will be 5 years having spent such a length off the road 5 years from now they will load on a premium for not driving for 5 years.
    I would like to find out the claimants net worth and see when the case happens and fraud is proven can I go after him for damages loss of earnings etc.But the way the law works in this country its probably wishful thinking.Either way I ain't goina be driving for a long time which is devastating to my new business. I might just pack up and leave could be more productive in another country,where I can drive.

Sorry OP, this is getting weirder with every post. I'll just wish you the best of luck and leave it there

Sorry OP, this is getting weirder with every post. I'll just wish you the best of luck and leave it there
    What's so weird about it?The bizzare part really was the Insurance refusing cover at the start. But all sorted once we got a solicitor on their case. I will say getting the footage was weird as hell though! Anyway thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What's so weird about it?The bizzare part really was the Insurance refusing cover at the start. But all sorted once we got a solicitor on their case. I will say getting the footage was weird as hell though! Anyway thanks for your input.

Make sure you show that footage to your solr. And get a witness to back up your claim that its the claimant who is partaking in the activities. Your solr will most likely make contact with Axa's fraud dept., and they may very well get their own footage. Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Any information you legally obtained should be sent to the insurance company to assist them in assessing the evidence.
    Im sure the insurers have inspected both vehicles to assess the damage as part of their investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

. I will say getting the footage was weird as hell though! Anyway thanks for your input.

Not looking to pi$$ on your cornflakes OP but don't bank on your video footage being the smoking gun that saves you a fortune here. Unfortunately there's every chance that, if the personal injury claim is less than ?10k, the insurance company will choose to settle it anyway and it will still go down as a claim against you and/or your mum. You'll have no say in the matter either unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

So the update on the situation. I went to a solicitor and he has contacted the insurance company they have given no reason for not providing cover and very quickly send a letter out to say they were now providing cover and no longer passing it on to the insurance bureau of Ireland and dealing with it themselves so thankful the worry is over. As as stated on tbe cert i was indeed covered. And i am glad I wouldn't be sued to death.
    Also footage has arisen of the person making a personal injuries claim he is playing rugby with a group that seems to be a regular meet up.This is dated after the accident. I just wondered what I should do with it. Also I can't seem to get any qoute what so ever off my past insurer so I am wondering is there any other companies out there that will give me an affordable qoute.

Sorry OP but having worked in the sector for nearly 6 years I refuse to believe any insurance company would point blank refuse to give you a reason for declination or over turn it just like.

Either you're not telling us or them something or you're missing something.

I think you need to speak to the Insurer's yourself rather than hiding behind your solicitor and let them explain it to you properly.

They declined you for a reason, give them the chance to explain it to you.

Your policy has nothing to do with your Mother's, different underwriters have different criteria so there was little point in going to a provider you aren't even with anymore.

Also Full Bonus protection doesn't mean her premium won't be affected, in fact if a Third Party claim goes in against her/you it is guaranteed to hike the price.

It simply means she won't lose her bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

This is doing my head in :confused:

Indemnity was refused. WHY ?

Indemnity is now apparently being granted. Is this correct ?

If insurers are dealing with this matter without referring to the MIBI that could mean that they are handling it as the insurer concerned. If this is correct, then indemnity is not being granted and the insurance company may well be looking to OP and or his mother for recovery of any outlays.

It may simply be the case that the insurers initially repudiated liability under the policy and have changed their minds. If so, I would be looking for confirmation, in writing, that indemnity is being provided under the terms of the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Blackbird00

I've had dealings with this particular insurance company recently. I am not insured with them and from their attitude I don't think I ever will insure with them.

My vehicle was damaged after a working part of their clients vehicle fell off while driving along and hit my car, damaging my car. The other driver at the time said, "yeah, no denying it, your car was damaged by what fell off my vehicle." His insurance company, however, had different ideas and refused to pay out on the basis that the driver was non-negligent in this instance - the driver was not to know that this part was to fall off his vehicle and therefore they were not liable.

I got in touch with the ombudsman and was informed about how to deal with this company refusing to pay out. I followed the ombudsman's instructions and low and behold this insurance company has now admitted full liability. How they had the gall to deny it in the first place, has rightly pissed me off and put me under undue stress and hence I shall never deal with that company and I shall tell all my friends and family to avoid them like the plague.

Anyway, it seems that this company is trying its best to get out of genuine claims and are denying claims for ridiculous reasons in the hopes, I imagine, that people will just take it lying down and not pursue it thus saving them money. There does seem to be two sides to claims here in Ireland, either they're paying out ridiculous amounts for fraudulent and/or exaggerated claims or not paying out on genuine claims at all. The insurance industry in Ireland is very wearisome unfortunately.

Advertisement