Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical cert or new boiler / pump installation?

Options
  • 07-04-2017 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey folks,

I'm new to this so please be gentle if I mess things up......

I have just had a new gas boiler, circulation pump, motorized valves etc. installed. the new installation also included a new pump to pressurize the hot water system.

The boiler / pumps were installed in a new location in the house. I understand that a new feed was taken off the fuse board to feed the new boiler / pumps. The electrical work was done by an electrician.

The plumber that installed the system is happy to supply the relevant RGI paperwork but said that no electrical cert was required. Seems a bit odd to me.

Should a RECI or equivalent cert be supplied for the electrical works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Cert not required as it was not a high amp. wireing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Wrong Tom, if that electrician is not registered he has broken the law and can be carried to court. Huge fine possible prison sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I agree that a certificate should be provided as this was carried out under restricted works and should only be done by a registered electrician. He may issue a minor works certificate which should be adequate

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Only a Registered Electrical Contractor may work on a distribution board (fuse board) or installl a new circuit. An ETCI minor works certificate should have been issued.

There is no dispensation for wiring that is not "high amp".

• Registered Users Posts: 3 StevePatts

Thanks for the feedback folks

@2011 - would the Minor Works Cert be 'recommended' or required?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

StevePatts wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback folks

@2011 - would the Minor Works Cert be 'recommended' or required?

It is required.

Have a look at this post, it makes for an interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

A new circuit was mentioned. Therefore this is NOT minor works and Cert No. 3 must be issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Electricman

The work described is outside the scope of minor works and by law it should have been done by a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) and needs to be certified. Number 3 cert. is suitable as no ESB Networks involvement is required.
    Your Gas installer should not have done this work as he is not a REC and cannot supply a cert, he should have gotten a REC to complete and certify the entire electrical element of the heating installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

StevePatts wrote:
    The boiler / pumps were installed in a new location in the house. I understand that a new feed was taken off the fuse board to feed the new boiler / pumps. The electrical work was done by an electrician.

Any work on the fuse box must be certified

The work described is outside the scope of minor works and by law it should have been done by a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) and needs to be certified. Number 3 cert. is suitable as no ESB Networks involvement is required.
    Your Gas installer should not have done this work as he is not a REC and cannot supply a cert, he should have gotten a REC to complete and certify the entire electrical element of the heating installation.

Nope, the RGI can happily work from the spur out, new or old installation.

• Advertisement

gary71 wrote: »

You are correct.

When the work is downstream of the spur an RGI may carry out the electrical work (as clarified in the email from CER).

However in this case it is a new circuit being installed.
    Only a REC can work on a distribution board.

I think the OP has his/ her question comprehensively answered now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

gary71 wrote: »

Handy that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 StevePatts

Thanks folks - extremely knowledgeable people giving excellent unbiased advice

Thanks very much

Advertisement