Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The JBL Bullying Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Maybe not, but judging by the facts currently at hand I just believe what he said that has been made publicly available does not constitute bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Strikers comments are somewhat enlightening in this SI piece:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/04/11/mauro-ranallo-jbl-wwe-bullying#

"What’s really at issue is here is the culture clash. It’s between the outside world, especially in pro wrestling, and how the doors have been blown off the locker room for almost 20 years now. There is a guard that does not like that"

To expand on this, JBL's behaviour has been acceptable in this industry forever and traditionally would not have been viewed as 'bullying' and JBL probably doesn't see himself as a bully. However, clearly Ranallo feels bullied. These truths are not mutually exclusive.

I really hope this incident is a catalyst for change though. The heavy hazing and ribbing that's been acceptable in pro wrestling only really remains in WWE and it needs to be consigned to the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

You can't hear them on TV but there's fire Bradshaw chants at Smackdown

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

From listening to Cornette I suppose he's a man's man.

He likes gives sh1t and he likes taking it. Not everybody of course is able to give it back.

For instance men with weak personalities, low self esteem, or those suffering from a mental disorder like Mauro might not be equipped to deal with this type of alpha male joshing.

Christ guys I've of been on the receiving end myself at times playing amateur games . Rugby, soccer, hurling, Gaelic football dressing rooms. It's a dog eat world in sports.

You have to learn to give it as good as you take it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm taking a breath and taking a step back from this, I think.

Because...if you want to wait for the "facts" I understand. I think it's naive and think there's enough info out there, and worry it's people wanting to stick their heads in the sand in that way wrestling fans do. But I understand why some will want to wait and get a fuller picture.

But if we're going to move into justifying it, into trying to shift blame onto the victim cause he's not "alpha"....I'm walking away before I say something bad. Cause that just makes me furious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

He likes gives sh1t and he likes taking it. Not everybody of course is able to give it back.

Well there was a fan ejected from the Smackdown taping for having a sign 'JBL bullied me' so obviously someone in the company "can't take it" as you put it. Him blocking people online says he can't handle being bullied back either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm taking a breath and taking a step back from this, I think.

Because...if you want to wait for the "facts" I understand. I think it's naive and think there's enough info out there, and worry it's people wanting to stick their heads in the sand in that way wrestling fans do. But I understand why some will want to wait and get a fuller picture.

But if we're going to move into justifying it, into trying to shift blame onto the victim cause he's not "alpha"....I'm walking away before I say something bad. Cause that just makes me furious.

There is no justification for bullying. The sh!te that happened to Justin Roberts is just beyond "ripping" for me and the other stories of sh!tting in sandwiches, handbags, etc is too far to be considered a joke.

Im just not jumping on the fire JBL bandwagon until there is facts because its unfair to assume someones guilty until facts do come to light. If the facts never come to light, then I cant assume someones guilty.

I do hope its a catalyst for change. I think its obviously been toned down loads in recent years but I think with Vince still running the company, it will always be present.

The culture of weeding/ hazing/ ripping is still there and the majority of veteran wrestlers would be involved having been on the receiving end themselves when the began the business. My guess would be that JBL would be the guy who thinks hes billy big balls and always goes too far.

Monokne wrote: »
    Pat Miletich the second MMA fighter to call JBL out over what happened:

Seen that, this situation will boil on I guess.

I seen a Sports Illustrated article too reaching out to Alberto, Striker, and a few others.

Nether commented directly on Mauro, with Alberto saying JBL was nothing but a great guy.

Meltzer has since come out saying it shouldn't surprise anyone that JBL didnt haze someone with the legit toughman background like ADR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You would thought JBL would have learned his lesson years ago when he was bullying Joey Styles and Joey knocked the sh1t out of him that maybe this whole billy big balls bully act needs to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

ERG89 wrote: »
    Well there was a fan ejected from the Smackdown taping for having a sign 'JBL bullied me' so obviously someone in the company "can't take it" as you put it. Him blocking people online says he can't handle being bullied back either.

Seems to be common amongst those believing in the whole "Chi/Heta/Omicron/Delta/Epsilon male" quackery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

JBL has always been fond of the block button on twiiter from what i have seen i think its been only ramped up the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I Just think JBL is a hold over from a different era of the business and he clearly hasn't moved on. I know people say that Vince condones this stuff which is terrible if true. Vince hates the word pro wrestling so maybe he should stop the things that used to happen in wrestling back then from happening now.

I think the culture in WWE will change as the old guard move on. I mean I'm sure the guys and girls today play jokes on each other and that's grand when you're on the road all the time with each other.

Bullying is a different thing altogether. I know some posters are saying they will wait until actually proof comes out, and that fine but I think we won't get anything concrete and JBL previous on this will make him guilty without trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I Just think JBL is a hold over from a different era of the business and he clearly hasn't moved on. I know people say that Vince condones this stuff which is terrible if true. Vince hates the word pro wrestling so maybe he should stop the things that used to happen in wrestling back then from happening now.

I think the culture in WWE will change as the old guard move on. I mean I'm sure the guys and girls today play jokes on each other and that's grand when you're on the road all the time with each other.

Bullying is a different thing altogether. I know some posters are saying they will wait until actually proof comes out, and that fine but I think we won't get anything concrete and JBL previous on this will make him guilty without trial.

It's already changed to a degree, case in point Xavier Woods' UpUpDownDown YouTube channel, superstars mixing together, which I'm sure kills time before shows, hell Stephanie appeared recently..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

its very old school mentality that a lot of the guys probably still cling too. there all more than likely looking at the guys on up up down down in disgust because its not like the old days.

Its an old school mentaility that comes down from Vince and Im sure he and many others dont view it as bullying.

Going by what Ive read, its seeing who "belongs" in this business. I think Simon Dean paraphrased a conversation between himself and Benoit in relation to the Palmer Cannon incident. He was hazed and left soon after and Dean recalls telling Benoit that Cannon was a nice guy and dint deserve it, to which Benoit responded in saying "sure he was nice, but he doesnt belong in our business".

Sure Bully Ray recalls being stiffed by Bradshaw and Simmons on Vinces request. He past said test and that was that.

Id say while things are changing, Id say the majority of guys in WWE think similar, but not to the same harsh degree the old guard do. Theres testing a guy and then theres going too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It's already changed to a degree, case in point Xavier Woods' UpUpDownDown YouTube channel, superstars mixing together, which I'm sure kills time before shows, hell Stephanie appeared recently..

I'm not even a gamer but I subscribed to UpUpDownDown because I like seeing what they're all like backstage. Stephanie came across very well on it. There's no smoke without fire though. JBL should at least get suspended without pay for his bullying behaviour. If he can't stop it fire him. He'll become a liability if not.

KKkitty wrote: »
    I'm not even a gamer but I subscribed to UpUpDownDown because I like seeing what they're all like backstage. Stephanie came across very well on it. There's no smoke without fire though. JBL should at least get suspended without pay for his bullying behaviour. If he can't stop it fire him. He'll become a liability if not.

And I'd say that wwe are happier from a PR and company image perspective that the superstars both male and female aren't like the old generation and doing stuff that has shown to not be healthy for professional wrestlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

sky88 wrote: »
    JBL has always been fond of the block button on twiiter from what i have seen i think its been only ramped up the last week.

Apparently he's been blocking people who are wishing Mauro well on Twitter even though they don't even @ JBL. That is seriously pathetic.

Deadspin, Sports Illustrated and now the New York Post have all picked up this story. It feels as though we are reaching the point where WWE will have to respond and take some type of action, whatever form that may take.

JBL resigning may be the end game here, in a week or two. WWE tends not to fire people in these situations because it's essentially admitting a form of guilt, whereas a sly payoff and a resignation looks better, as was the case with Patterson in 1992 and DeMott with the NXT bullying stuff a couple years back.

Post story:

http://nypost.com/2017/04/12/how-long-can-wwe-ignore-bullying-story/

• Advertisement

CBS Sports has also done a piece on it, the first which states that Ranallo is unlikely to return to WWE:\
    http://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/mauro-ranallo-not-expected-to-return-to-wwe-tv-through-remainder-of-contract/

Chants of We Want Mauro/We Love You Mauro were muted on Smackdown Live earlier this morning.

Deadspin, Sports Illustrated and now the New York Post have all picked up this story. It feels as though we are reaching the point where WWE will have to respond and take some type of action, whatever form that may take.

JBL resigning may be the end game here, in a week or two. WWE tends not to fire people in these situations because it's essentially admitting a form of guilt, whereas a sly payoff and a resignation looks better, as was the case with Patterson in 1992 and DeMott with the NXT bullying stuff a couple years back.

Post story:

http://nypost.com/2017/04/12/how-long-can-wwe-ignore-bullying-story/

Was that the talk show thing and he allegedly doing things that wasn't okay ?

I mean he was never charged with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Chants of We Want Mauro/We Love You Mauro were muted on Smackdown Live earlier this morning.

Why the hell do they bother muting the fans at this stage? We all hear exactly what was said online.

Why the hell do they bother muting the fans at this stage? We all hear exactly what was said online.

Trying to present everything as rosy/A-Ok, when it's clearly the opposite, they even mess with the videos on their YouTube channel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A massive majority of fans likely do not frequent wrestling websites; kids who talk to friends rather than people on forums, casuals who only watch irregularly. It's also why they aren't bothering with things like Broken Matt.

Patterson basically was tarred with the same brush as Terry Garvin and Mel Phillips who were fiddling with underage ringboys. While there were multiple people who came forward against those two, there was really nothing on Patterson except an allegation from famed conman Murray Hodgson. Hodgson alleged that Pat suggested he do sexual favours for Patterson in order to advance his career. However he also tried to extort WWE for money, shush money essentially. Hodgson eventually moved on and if memory serves correct, Meltzer mentioned he was involved in similar shenanigans elsewhere. It would be very fair to assume Patterson did nothing wrong. However, because the heat was on at the time, he had to fall on his sword.

Still, he was brought back very quickly and it has always been rumoured he was still on the payroll and Vince was picking his brain over the phone at the time (I personally imagine this is true).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lord TSC wrote:
    It's also why they aren't bothering with things like Broken Matt.

They aren't cause Matt spent his money on retaining the rights to it, he's not going to hand that over to WWE to make money off. The delete chants are louder than basically any other crowd reactions on Raw.

Lawler on his podcast, Dinner with The King said
    I’m a JBL fan. Here’s the thing about JBL; you have to know the guy. And if you don’t get an opportunity to really know JBL, you can be offended. JBL is a funny guy. He’s a big guy. He’s boisterous. He comes across as, sometimes, crude and loud. But you gotta know him. That’s just JBL. He’s the same guy on commentary as he is in catering.

And if JBL would lose he job, he said
    I don’t think so, but hey, that’s my opinion. I don’t think he will, not over something like this.

• Advertisement

Patterson basically was tarred with the same brush as Terry Garvin and Mel Phillips who were fiddling with underage ringboys. While there were multiple people who came forward against those two, there was really nothing on Patterson except an allegation from famed conman Murray Hodgson. Hodgson alleged that Pat suggested he do sexual favours for Patterson in order to advance his career. However he also tried to extort WWE for money, shush money essentially. Hodgson eventually moved on and if memory serves correct, Meltzer mentioned he was involved in similar shenanigans elsewhere. It would be very fair to assume Patterson did nothing wrong. However, because the heat was on at the time, he had to fall on his sword.

Still, he was brought back very quickly and it has always been rumoured he was still on the payroll and Vince was picking his brain over the phone at the time (I personally imagine this is true).
    Yeah now Mel Phillips rings a bell(haha) and didn't someone sue WWE saying they couldn't watch WWE with him on screen. So that's why wrestlemania 3 is edited the way it is nowadays. Yeah Mel Phillips sounded like a nasty piece of work. Terry garvin ? I didn't hear that now.

Advertisement