Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How late in the year can I drop an LC subject?

Options
  • 08-04-2017 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Currently I am in 6th year studying 8 subjects for the leaving cert, which was manageable for most of the year, but now it is becoming too much to handle.

I want to drop history as a subject, but I've already filled in the official sheet saying what subjects I'm studying and at what level. Can I still drop the subject now, without some note appearing on my LC results saying that I failed to turn up for the exam? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Currently I am in 6th year studying 8 subjects for the leaving cert, which was manageable for most of the year, but now it is becoming too much to handle.

I want to drop history as a subject, but I've already filled in the official sheet saying what subjects I'm studying and at what level. Can I still drop the subject now, without some note appearing on my LC results saying that I failed to turn up for the exam? Thank you.

You can give up certain subjects right up to the exam but for exams where there is an oral/practical or project and you have presented for them or submitted a project - not doing the exam will show on your exam results. I'm presuming that your history project has not been submitted yet - I think you can. You should check this with your career guidance counsellor before making any decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

If you have not submitted any projects and do not do the exam in June, History will not be on your results sheet in August.

Are you doing History in school? If so, it's unlikely you'll be allowed to drop the class completely. You'll probably have to sit in the class, but you might be allowed to study for your other subjects during that class.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Ya, if you don't submit the project and don't show up for the exam it won't appear on your leaving cert. Try to explain your situation to your teacher to see if you could negotiate doing some study while history class is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Ya, if you don't submit the project and don't show up for the exam it won't appear on your leaving cert. Try to explain your situation to your teacher to see if you could negotiate doing some study while history class is on.

In my school people have dropped out of lots of subjects over the course of the last few months and they are allowed to study in the exam hall during those classes. I'm sure most other schools have a similar arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

VG31 wrote: »
    In my school people have dropped out of lots of subjects over the course of the last few months and they are allowed to study in the exam hall during those classes. I'm sure most other schools have a similar arrangement.

Most schools wouldn't have this facility.

OP, if you don't submit your history project and don't sit the exam it won't appear on your cert. If you definitely decide to drop the subject, inform the school, and also inform the supervisor when you are sitting your other exams so a search party isn't sent out for you the morning of the exam, where they think you've slept in by accident.

Another option might be to take Ordinary Level instead of Higher if you would like to get something out of studying history for 2 years. Another option if you are getting passing grades as it is, is to just stop putting the work into history and do the exam and aim for a passing grade and no more. With a decent project, and a passing grade now being 30%, that shouldn't be impossible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement