Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I buy ladybirds in Ireland?

Options
  • 08-04-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

I have an infestation of aphids in a conservatory-type room. I've looked at sprays and things but cats and dogs use the room a lot and anyway I don't like using poisons. Is it possible to buy ladybirds in Ireland? I've looked online but I can't find anybody who ships to Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I have an infestation of aphids in a conservatory-type room. I've looked at sprays and things but cats and dogs use the room a lot and anyway I don't like using poisons. Is it possible to buy ladybirds in Ireland? I've looked online but I can't find anybody who ships to Ireland.

I doubt it but you can buy Hypoaspis miles from the UK and they might work

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/delivery-information/

They reference shipping ladybirds. Probably seasonal. Try calling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SteM

We got some in Mr Middleton in Mary Street a few years ago. They might still do them if you call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It would also be good (for future years) to grow a few nettles in a pot once you've got the ladybirds in. These have their own blackfly, which hatch out early and don't infest anything else, and ladybirds like to lay their eggs near them so they'll have a guaranteed source of food when they hatch.

Don't let the nettles escape the pot, though - cut off their flowers, and keep an eye on their sneaky roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Mr Middleton got back to me, they'll have ladybirds in about six weeks. In the meantime I'll continue my strategy of hunting the wee feckers down and squishing them.
    Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Mr Middleton got back to me, they'll have ladybirds in about six weeks. In the meantime I'll continue my strategy of hunting the wee feckers down and squishing them.
    Thanks for your help!

Put a leftover bit of soap (not detergent, proper hand soap) in water for a couple of days, then stir it up and use it to spray on them; the combination of grease and whatever makes soap soapy kills them dead.

Advertisement