Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipotles

Options
  • 08-04-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy some Chipotles online to make some chipotle mayo and I need your help in finding some sites that sell them.

I've never bought spices online before so I am not sure what sites to use and I would greatly appreciate some recommendations from you.

Thanks in advance for any help received. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I buy my chipotles from picado Mexican in Dublin.
    They are dried but make awesome sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thank you both so much.
    sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I buy my chipotles from picado Mexican in Dublin.
    They are dried but make awesome sauce
    Is this the shop?

https://www.picadomexican.com/

Thank you both so much.

Is this the shop?

https://www.picadomexican.com/

Yep that's the one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Fresh in Smithfield and most Asian stores in Dublin sell them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Picado no longer sells chipotle, and probably won't be anytime soon.

The reason is that the method by which they are smoked is outlawed. The smoking apparently creates a compound which is a laxative, though you would need it in large quantities.

The ruling should also affect our smoked salmon but it is ignored. But, because chipotle is imported from outside the EU its entry is prevented.

All of this was told to me this week by the lovely lady who owns the store. She had bought in bulk ahead of the legislation but is all out now.

She does however have a substitute that's not fully dried like chipotle but does taste quite similar. Used it myself today.

If you sell her what you're making I'm sure she'll have a recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

tesco stock chipotle flakes. Should be perfect for making a mayo.

Well Damn :( .. haven't needed any in a long while

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Well Damn :( .. haven't needed any in a long while

Make sure you still pop in, loads of alternatives and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The reason is that the method by which they are smoked is outlawed. The smoking apparently creates a compound which is a laxative, though you would need it in large quantities.

The ruling should also affect our smoked salmon but it is ignored. But, because chipotle is imported from outside the EU its entry is prevented.

All of this was told to me this week by the lovely lady who owns the store. She had bought in bulk ahead of the legislation but is all out now.

She does however have a substitute that's not fully dried like chipotle but does taste quite similar. Used it myself today.

If you sell her what you're making I'm sure she'll have a recommendation.

What legislation is that?
    Seems odd that a traditional process like smoking would be targeted. Especially given the amount of smoked foods in europe

Mellor wrote: »
    Seems odd that a traditional process like smoking would be targeted. Especially given the amount of smoked foods in europe

I couldn't tell you, didn't look into it. I really don't understand it myself

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

I couldn't tell you, didn't look into it. I really don't understand it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I've being buying chipotles to make adobo sauce ever since I happened upon Sparks' famous Cooking Club recipe for Chilli.

By happy coincidence I stumbled across Mrs. Elswoods' Sweet Cucumber Sandwich Slices some time back. So what I do after polishing off these delicious gherkin slices is to keep the juice and cook the chipotles in it until soft. Then I blend the lot into a lovely, smoky chilli paste. The result is fully seasoned and ready for deployment into chilli. I'm veggie BTW, but make a badass chilli! :pac:

Anyway, I buy from a place called Spices on the Web. They're in the UK and their delivery is decently priced. I get a year or more out of a 200g bag.

Last year I went to buy a buy batch and discovered that there was a ban on importing chipotle into the EU! :eek: However, this ban has since been lifted last year and it's available again.

You can read about it here:

https://spicesontheweb.co.uk/chipotle-chilli-what-has-happened

Advertisement