Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a Room - OMG Prices

Options
  • 08-04-2017 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

I know accommodation in Dublin has gone nuts but seriously? I keep an eye on D5 fairly regularly as that's where I rent a room and there is one room currently up at €1000 a month. A grand a month for a room?!

I presume that RAR has now got attractive enough that people who would have never considered it in the past are now doing it, perhaps that can be seen as a good thing, but at €1K a month for a room, I'm not so sure.

It seems to have gone nuts recently, anecdotally I rented out my room recently at a much higher rate than I usually do and it was gone in in under 20 hours.

Is it really that bad out there? A couple of years ago, if you were willing to commit to a place there and then it was pretty easy to get a place, now would someone really go a for a room at that price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Some kids are 4 to 6 in a room in bunkbed for 300 a piece.

The rent a room relief could have been capped at 10k and not reduced the amount of rooms on the market. 14k is too high and only drives more money into the pocket of the homeowner with no responding increase in rooms or digs.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

myshirt wrote: »
    Some kids are 4 to 6 in a room in bunkbed for 300 a piece.

The rent a room relief could have been capped at 10k and not reduced the amount of rooms on the market. 14k is too high and only drives more money into the pocket of the homeowner with no responding increase in rooms or digs.

It's called rent a room but you can rent multiple rooms out. So by increasing the cap you increase the chance of somebody renting out a second or third room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's called rent a room but you can rent multiple rooms out. So by increasing the cap you increase the chance of somebody renting out a second or third room.

I don't think that's happened though. I know that regardless of the cap I don't think I'd rent a second room, just too many people in the house. Perhaps it should be a per room allowance or something? Very difficult to police of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

Wait for a soft "Brexit" - you'll remember this as cheap rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

That's madness. I'm currently in a lovely, large 2 bed apartment with fantastic managed facilities for 1100 pm.

But I presume 'market rate' is determined by what's offered/accepted at certain point in time, rather than what many others might be paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

That's madness. I'm currently in a lovely, large 2 bed apartment with fantastic managed facilities for 1100 pm.

But I presume 'market rate' is determined by what's offered/accepted at certain point in time, rather than what many others might be paying.

Yep it's what someone today wants to pay and not what some group of people 3 years ago agreed to pay.

I hadn't realised rates had gone that high though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I know accommodation in Dublin has gone nuts but seriously? I keep an eye on D5 fairly regularly as that's where I rent a room and there is one room currently up at €1000 a month. A grand a month for a room?!

Is there anything special about the room? Size/facilities/location?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm in the process of freshening up a large en suite double room in West Dublin. It will have new shower and tiling, new flooring, bed and bedroom furniture.

I'll probably ask about €700 for it based on Daft.ie prices.

I think it's a fair price because I'll be only there every second weekend so whoever I take in will basically have the place to themselves for 90% of the time for around 50% of the rent for a full apartment.

Perhaps the landlord in the OP has similar circumstances. Even so, €1000 is a bit expensive for a room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Just spotted a room only, to let in Ringaskiddy Co. Cork.

€120 per week.

Bills extra.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Is there anything special about the room? Size/facilities/location?

Fairly nice area in Raheny, but still. Ensuite but it's in the attic.

Link (please remove is you think its out of order).

Now this is just one example, €850pm for a room in Artane! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

Fairly nice area in Raheny, but still. Ensuite

Having looked at the link, this is not a room to let situation. It is a house share. Landlord not on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

That "window seat" looks more like a dog's basket. Is it a bungalow attic conversion? It looks dark and poky too. 1k per month is very optimistic for this imo. Wonder what the total rent for the place is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

currants wrote: »
    That "window seat" looks more like a dog's basket. Is it a bungalow attic conversion? It looks dark and poky too. 1k per month is very optimistic for this imo. Wonder what the total rent for the place is.

I suspect someone may be trying to subsidise their own portion of the rent by overcharging on a sublet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭caviardreams

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I suspect someone may be trying to subsidise their own portion of the rent by overcharging on a sublet.

I'd say this also - you are sharing with a couple also which makes it even worse, as I can't see them getting more than 1800 total for a 2 bed in that area imo - I do note bills are included however.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

They're probably hoping for a couple and if you take 100 month out for bills that's 450 each. If they have there own bathroom and work in town.

Edit: just noticed no couples allowed. So yeah it's a bit steep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Extortion is what it is. A lot of landlords out there taking advantage.

our mortgage is 560 a month on a 150k house.

We are paying half for a 3 bed house, what is being charged for one room.

Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Ah, no worries that is all just to get in line with the rent for all the new student accomodations in town, starting price for 250 per week.
    Just make rents for rooms higher than Student rooms are, so they'll better be grateful to get such a bargain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Fairly nice area in Raheny, but still. Ensuite but it's in the attic.

It's the upstairs of a bungalow. Still pricy though

juno10353 wrote: »
    Having looked at the link, this is not a room to let situation. It is a house share. Landlord not on site.

While I don't really meant to limit the discussion to where RAR relief is being used, a tenant can sublet and take advantage for RAR themselves, I'm surprised more don't tbh. I've quite a few friends in 2 beds paying massive rents, it's a great and tax efficient way of helping with the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Mr.H wrote: »
    Extortion is what it is. A lot of landlords out there taking advantage...

...Disgusting

Really? Every other business in the world charges what the market will bear for their goods to maximise profits, be it the latest smartphone,car,gold, etc.
    Are landlords somehow meant to be charitable while also being a business?

• Advertisement

housetypeb wrote: »
    Really? Every other business in the world charges what the market will bear for their goods to maximise profits, be it the latest smartphone,car, etc.
    Are landlords somehow meant to be charitable while also being a business?

There is a point though where essential goods (for example food) and services (for example housing) where it becomes profiteering. While I've no sympathy when in comes to full lets because the exchequer is profiteering at least as much as the landlord but where RAR is being used I have to say I think it's a bit much.

I'm not having a go, I share your view to a point, I just think it's getting a bit above and beyond here - looking about this might be a D5 thing? I'm seeing rooms in Dundrum for €400. Perhaps the DART is jacking up the price?

There is actually potential for an interesting paradox emerging.

LL are stuck in what they can charge by the rent caps but someone renting from the LL and then renting rooms under the RAR scheme are not impacted by this. You could have a scenario where the market rate is much higher than the tenant is paying the LL but they are getting the market rate for other rooms thus possibly leaving their rent almost covered etc

What happens then if (as some people claim) the people renting the room request to be added to the lease? They are paying higher than the Ll is allowed to take off them but that's ok while they are renting from the head tenant but not I would assume if they are added to the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Mr.H wrote: »

Disgusting

Plenty of people are paying €1500 on a mortgage. Where in Dublin is it possible to buy a house for 150k?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mr.H wrote:

Mr.H wrote:

Mr.H wrote:

Mr.H wrote:
    Disgusting

Landlord isn't renting the room. The couple advertising the room are tenants so you can't blame the landlord on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Landlord isn't renting the room. The couple advertising the room are tenants so you can't blame the landlord on this one.
    Which supports the point that you cannot blame people for exploiting a dysfunctional system, unless they have specifically designed the system. And the only way to argue that, is to say they voted FG specifically to ensure that housing supply in Dublin would be stunted to inflate the rental market. Quite a stretch. The Government and DCC are at fault here. They have screwed up big time to allow this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Mr.H wrote:

Think you hit the nail on the head, it's mortgage repayments that are the real issue, the fact people are willing to borrow and stretch to obscene levels of debt like we saw in the early naughties. Have we learned nothing?! Like 560pcm is a huge chunk out of anyone's paycheque to be scraping endsmeat together..
    Mr.H wrote:
    Disgusting
    B)

Which supports the point that you cannot blame people for exploiting a dysfunctional system, unless they have specifically designed the system. And the only way to argue that, is to say they voted FG specifically to ensure that housing supply in Dublin would be stunted to inflate the rental market. Quite a stretch. The Government and DCC are at fault here. They have screwed up big time to allow this to happen.

I agree state housing policy is behind the current mess the housing system is in but you cant say that individuals who exploit that mess are not responsible for their own actions. Personal responsibility still exists, even in a housing crisis.
    I don't think they will get 1k for it, it simply isn't worth it, even in the inflated rental market we have. Not one wide shot of the room either and those sloped ceilings look extremely low. Not many single dwarves with 1k to blow on rent about I'd imagine.

I might be derailing my own thread here and I stress that SUPPLY IS THE ANSWER but as a couple that went mental in the last boom and bought a tiny 1 bed city apartment for almost 300K I'm actually glad we did. We had the benefit of a tracker and to be fair the rental market during the last boom was no where near as bad as it is now, but for €700 a month (now less as it's a tracker) we had security if tenure at least.

It's pretty bloody bleak out there at the moment. I assume this is being driven by credit not being as widely available so it's force pressure into the rental market?

<deleted quote snipped>

Subletting a room is not a business. This couple are not in business, they are simply chancing their arm in trying to get a tenant to subsidise their rent.
    The worst imaginable response to the housing crisis is the one we have have now- no cohesive policy and cosmetic tinkering at the margins.

• Advertisement

hytrogen wrote: »
    Think you hit the nail on the head, it's mortgage repayments that are the real issue, the fact people are willing to borrow and stretch to obscene levels of debt like we saw in the early naughties. Have we learned nothing?! Like 560pcm is a huge chunk out of anyone's paycheque to be scraping endsmeat together..

B)

560 euro is a very low mortgage payment.

Advertisement