Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows vista end of life

• 08-04-2017 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

I see vistas support ends 11th of this month , is this the same as XP, where it's better to upgrade than stick using it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You should have upgraded long ago. Vista was a terrible OS, upgrade to 7 or 10 if your machine is capable.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

It's not mine it's one a friend owns they have a brand new laptop with 10 on it but can't figure out how to use it, so when Microsoft's anti virus started throwing up warnings it was reaching end of support this month I got the call. I told them the best solution is use the new laptop but they want to hold on as long as lossibly with vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Well if you have the time I would sit down with them and go through what they are having problems with. Windows 10 is different but not that different. It may just be that they need to be shown where things are or have things copied over from the old laptop.

To answer the original question yes, Vista will stop getting updates meaning it'll be less secure on the internet leaving them more open to viruses.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try classic shell if it's just the start menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

mightyreds wrote: »
    I see vistas support ends 11th of this month , is this the same as XP, where it's better to upgrade than stick using it

Yep. The main reason to get rid of Vista (along with the lack of operating system security updates) is that most third-party software vendors will stop providing software for it, too. I think Google have already scrapped Google Chrome support for Vista, for example. I'd probably suggest that your friend tries to get to grips with Windows 10 - as the last person said, install Classic Shell if it's the Start menu they're struggling with. It won't look unlike Vista if you do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Yeah I've used classic she'll myself it's very good, must do that and tell them to scrap the old laptop alright.

mightyreds wrote: »
    Yeah I've used classic she'll myself it's very good, must do that and tell them to scrap the old laptop alright.

Probably no need to scrap the laptop itself but definitely scrap Vista! It's a monstrosity of a yoke.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Probably no need to scrap the laptop itself but definitely scrap Vista! It's a monstrosity of a yoke.

Considering that they couldn't deal with Windows 10, I doubt that they'd be able to deal with any version of Linux.

Of course, they could try to upgrade it to Win7, but they've already got a better Win10 laptop.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Considering that they couldn't deal with Windows 10, I doubt that they'd be able to deal with any version of Linux.

Of course, they could try to upgrade it to Win7, but they've already got a better Win10 laptop.

Ah yeah, it was just general advice. I hate seeing people throwing away functional hardware due to software issues. Makes no sense to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, it was just general advice. I hate seeing people throwing away functional hardware due to software issues. Makes no sense to me.
    On that note, the hard drive is probably living on borrowed time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement