Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport route suggestions

Options
  • 08-04-2017 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Looking to do a 100km or so cycle loop from/to Westport, plenty of hills, good scenery. I'd like to take in Drummin (my family hails from there). Any good suggestions please? Might try to get a second spin in too, maybe 60-80k. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

Thanks, looks like a great route. Which direction would you recommend? Any 60-80 km suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Westportif is coming up in May. If you're there then, it would be good to do it in the group. Otherwise, you'll get a good route idea there.

http://www.westportif.ie/

BGT wrote: »
    Thanks, looks like a great route. Which direction would you recommend? Any 60-80 km suggestions?

Head out towards Tourmakeady first (so SE from Westport). Out the Ballinrobe road to Aughagower.
    I will have a look at an 80km route for you. There is another nice climb I could send you up!!

BGT wrote: »

Sorry. Forgot about this.

Head out Louisburgh road and take the left shown. Do the loop and you'll have about 13 or 14km or so of road to repeat on the way home. 2 climbs in it.

https://www.strava.com/routes/8274105

414539.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Lads just a question on my own Westport trip from the local knowledge base...
    I was looking to go out to Minaun to climb the mountain...and return
    From memory the Greenway is rough as bejaysus and the traffic on the road was busy and fast in spots..
    Am I better to head for Luisburgh direction with G1023's suggestions??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

There is some great road / off road combos over there too. The road out to the bottom of Croagh Patrick and then onto the Sceilp and down the Sceilp is great craic.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    There is some great road / off road combos over there too. The road out to the bottom of Croagh Patrick and then onto the Sceilp and down the Sceilp is great craic.

Define "craic' LD....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Define "craic' LD....

Not for everyone but I really enjoyed how technical it was and the challenge of not dismounting or putting a foot down. Bating down over the large rocks and ruts. A real concentration required part of the cycle. The best bit was the incredulous faces on the other riders as we wizzed past them while they stepped around the obstacles with their bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

I went up minaun on Saturday. Cycled over from Castlebar, via Newport. I didn't find the road especially busy or fast. Felt fairly safe. Minaun is a beast!!

G1032 is a great route. Nice climbs at shefry pass and hills of Maam. Westport to Louisburg would be similar to Westport to achill for traffic IMO.

Dont think you can go wrong with either.

• Advertisement

flash84962 wrote: »
    I went up minaun on Saturday. Cycled over from Castlebar, via Newport. I didn't find the road especially busy or fast. Felt fairly safe. Minaun is a beast!!

G1032 is a great route. Nice climbs at shefry pass and hills of Maam. Westport to Louisburg would be similar to Westport to achill for traffic IMO.

Dont think you can go wrong with either.

Savage climb alright. You know it's tough when you're thanking God that the gradient has reduced to only 14% !!

G1032 wrote: »
    Savage climb alright. You know it's tough when you're thanking God that the gradient has reduced to only 14% !!

Im taking it about 90km to Minaun and back approx?

Im taking it about 90km to Minaun and back approx?

From Westport is it? It'd be more than that. It's 80km to from Newport and back. I think Westport to Newport is about 15km (not 100%) on that. So 110km or thereabouts.

Just actually had a look at the Minaun segments a while ago. First 1.7km averages 15%.

Advertisement