Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development

Options
  • 08-04-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking for a bit of advice. Purchased a brand new house back last August. This was a new phase to an existing housng estate. New phase had plans for 42 houses. 10 out of the 42 were given to a housing association so 10 new neighbours moved in. So far my house is the only privately owned house out if the 42 and 10 owned by the housing association. I found out on Friday that the remaining 31 houses are in the process of being sold to the local authority. When i asked the developer he said private sales didnt work out. We were never told this was happening. Shurly the developer cannot do this to us? Do we have any rights? Out of 42 houses 41 will be council and 1 private! Any advice appreciated before i go insane.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Unless it's in a contract (which I doubt) it's buyer beware.

Could you sell and break even/ make a profit? And buy somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

If you sell you will probably have to sell at loss, might be best to bite bullet early on under the circumstances unless you're will to give it a bash and see how things work out?

Why did you buy the house?
    Presumably you liked the house and the area. The price suited you and you wanted to live there?
    What has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'd look for the contact details in the local authority and see if they want the last house in the estate. Chances are they'd prefer to own the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why did you buy the house?
    Presumably you liked the house and the area. The price suited you and you wanted to live there?
    What has changed?

Did you read the OP? The development that the OP bought is now 99% social housing that is what's changed. OP if it was me I would sell ASAP if you can. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Did you read the OP? The development that the OP bought is now 99% social housing that is what's changed. OP if it was me I would sell ASAP if you can. Best of luck with it.

Why though?
    If the house, location and price was right for them, what difference​ who lives in the other houses?
    Nothing has changed for the reasons they wanted to buy, I'm assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Why though?
    If the house, location and price was right for them, what difference​ who lives in the other houses?
    Nothing has changed for the reasons they wanted to buy, I'm assuming.

Now alot of his neighbours will be low achievers relying on the state to house them.
    He will be the only one in the park with a mortgage for the value of the house and his taxes will be helping to pay for all the other houses in the park. Infuriating I'd imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP have you thought about approaching the local authority and seeing if they will purchase your house also?

Now all his neighbours will be low achievers relying on the state to house them.
    He will be the only one in the park with a mortgage for the value of the house and his taxes will be helping to pay for all the other houses in the park. Infuriating I'd imagine!

Why do you think all people in social housing are low achievers?
    He will own his house, the other people will never own their house, unless they can afford a mortgage to buy it.
    So the question still remains, if nothing has changed in the reasons he bought the house, why would it be different now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

He will own his house, the other people will never own their house, unless they can afford a mortgage to buy it.
    So the question still remains, if nothing has changed in the reasons he bought the house, why would it be different now?

The demographic of all his expected neighbours has changed, are you being deliberately obtuse?

• Advertisement

The demographic of all his expected neighbours has changed, are you being deliberately obtuse?

Obtuse?
    If all the reasons he bought the house are the same, then why does it matter who buys the other houses?
    Location, price, style of house is the same, presumably, so nothing has changed.
    What does it matter who lives in the other houses?

Most new housing estates have a management company. As one of 42 home owners each with a vote you're in a very different position to being one home owner versus 41 votes in the hands of a local authority rep who has no personal interest in the estate.

Any prospective purchaser will also be put off by that regardless of how perfect the other residents are.

Most new housing estates have a management company. As one of 42 home owners each with a vote you're in a very different position to being one home owner versus 41 votes in the hands of a local authority rep who has no personal interest in the estate.

Any prospective purchaser will also be put off by that regardless of how perfect the other residents are.

You are always one owner against everyone else in a management company situation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You are always one owner against everyone else in a management company situation
    Those owners would normally have a personal interest in their area though.

TheChizler wrote: »

So does anyone that lives in an area

And there would be 41 separate individuals with interests and votes meaning decisions and changes would need to be discussed and negotiated. The local authority with 41 votes to ops one can do whatever the heck they like without discussion or consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So does anyone that lives in an area
    Yes but they don't necessarily own their houses or have influence over the people who do and thus have a vote.

Yes but they don't necessarily own their houses or have influence over the people who do and thus have a vote.

Well, I don't know the ins and outs of what would happen in this particular estate, if there is a management company. Maybe the local authority would take the estate in hand earlier than normal?
    Anyway the occupants of the houses would probably have an interest in the estate

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

bubblypop wrote:
    Obtuse? If all the reasons he bought the house are the same, then why does it matter who buys the other houses? Location, price, style of house is the same, presumably, so nothing has changed. What does it matter who lives in the other houses?

The reasons are not the same and things have changed. His neighbours will be complete different from the ones he expected. His house will more than likely devalue. Its pretty easy to understand really. I'm not sure why your having difficulty with it.

foxatron wrote: »
    The reasons are not the same and things have changed. His neighbours will be complete different from the ones he expected. His house will more than likely devalue. Its pretty easy to understand really. I'm not sure why your having difficulty with it.

How are his neighbours different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bubblypop wrote:
    Obtuse? If all the reasons he bought the house are the same, then why does it matter who buys the other houses? Location, price, style of house is the same, presumably, so nothing has changed. What does it matter who lives in the other houses?

Pretzill wrote:
    Is it that you have potentially moved into a ghetto and paid for the privilege?

Up till now councils have refused to build whole blocks of housing and government policy was social inclusion through the mantra of integration by insisting that 20% of private housing should be provided as social housing.

This appears to be changing due to the crisis but the underlying reason was not to create ghettos such as Ballymun, Darndale, Jobstown, Moyross are perceived to be.

Perhaps someone can demonstrate otherwise now but social housing estates have always been magnets for trouble. So it does matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread closed pending mod review

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement