Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 Medal Parade - Big deal or no?

Options
  • 09-04-2017 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi just looking for a bit of info if anyone could shed some light

My brother is a member of the RDF and was/is (not sure) due to receive a 1916 medal in honour of his service during 2016, but he hasn't really mentioned it.
    I saw on social media that some barracks allowed family members to be there on the day when members received their medals, would this be the case with all barracks or only some?

Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology, I mean no disrespect. It's bugging me because myself and other family members would have attended if we knew about it. Or have all medals been handed out by now, are some barracks waiting on their ceremonies?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

All medals were hoped to have been issued by the end of January this year but that didnt happen.

I know some PDF troops were still getting them in March so I'm not sure about the RDF side of things.

I doubt there were families around for the PDF medal parades (not mine anyway).

The RDF may be different though. Im regards to the "big deal", its purely subjective. Some lads are delighted to have been awarded a medal with a 1916 connection, some think its disrespectful as it was mostly a PR move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BrianOBO

Hi thanks for your answer,

I was just concerned he would have nobody on the day to support him, but if he doesn't think it's a big deal then maybe I shouldn't either

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

BrianOBO wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your answer,

I was just concerned he would have nobody on the day to support him, but if he doesn't think it's a big deal then maybe I shouldn't either

Thanks again

Nah its not that type of thing, unless the RDF unit has specifically made it into a specator ceremony. Have you asked him?

Nah its not that type of thing, unless the RDF unit has specifically made it into a specator ceremony. Have you asked him?

I did ask him and he was blasé about it but after seeing family members at some of the ceremonies on Twitter etc. I just wanted to ask elsewhere, thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

My parent unit has decided to award the medal to us all on a civvy working day during civvy working hours. well done in accommodating the RDF. ill probably get handed mine at the back of a transit on a range day, if at all.

• Advertisement

Morpheus wrote: »
    My parent unit has decided to award the medal to us all on a civvy working day during civvy working hours. well done in accommodating the RDF. ill probably get handed mine at the back of a transit on a range day, if at all.

So am I right in thinking that it's entirely up to each unit to organise the day as they see fit? Wether it be uniformed or not, family invited or not etc.?

Advertisement