Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cutting hours

Options
  • 09-04-2017 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi everyone

I was wondering if yous would be able to give me sum advice.. i work in a deli counter along side the bosses wife who is classed as an employee and is receiving a wage just like me.....Ive been working at my current employment for almost 3 years now ive never signed a contract employment. I work 28hrs a week.

The other day he said things are quiet and with the school children on easter holidays now for 2 weeks he has cut my hours. We do well everyday on the deli with the school kids. So ive lost 3 hrs each week nw which nw means that the bosses wife has gained my 3 hrs she makes out she working them for nothing which i doubt is untrue..

Could anyone give me sum advice on whether he can just do this. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Do you have your work hours in your contract .

Some contracts give a min work hours .

Other than this maybe have a chat with boss and inform him you are unhappy with losing your hours .

If he insists then go looking for another job as this is start of things to come with wife working there.

Edit... Just don't say " oh well I'll find another job , keep that to yourself , nobody else's business.

Good luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You have no contract but any decent contract would state that your hours may need to be reduced in relation to business needs and that selection for reduced hours would also be in line with business needs at that time.

I really don't see what you can do about it.

What happens other employees (wife or not) is no concern of yours.

Ask for a contract, you should have gotten one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If you have been working for 3 years and always had 28hr per week, then you do have a contract, it's just not a written one. Your employer has been very silly not to provide one.

But its only two weeks and if the job is otherwise good, maybe talk to the boss and make your feeling known. Maybe ask for a few hours more when it gets busier to make up for the money lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

jmg90 wrote: »
    Ive been working at my current employment for almost 3 years... The other day he said things are quiet and with the school children on easter holidays now for 2 weeks he has cut my hours.

Has he done this in the previous years or is it new this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jmg90

Naos wrote: »
    Has he done this in the previous years or is it new this year?

No this the first time it's happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement