Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not getting on with your cycling team

Options
  • 09-04-2017 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm sure this happens in other clubs but just wondering what would one advise to do when this happens in a group.

Basically we have a team leader and his best friend is the founder of our group and both don't like me. Basically they are always bad mouthing me behind my back and don't really value my input with the group. They put me down always because they don't like me. We have a small group but I get on well with everyone else in the group. I'm still one of there best riders even with all of this.

Half thinking of moving to another club next year. Would that be a good option? It's just the bitterness of those two individuals I don't like and I am not enjoying the training with them. Everyone must get on to some degree in a team.

Hope someone here can share their opinions on what's best to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Life is short - you're not enjoying what you do for enjoyment.

Move on but be sure to let your reason be known I assume there's an AGM in the club and perhaps other members are feeling the same.

Crap situation to be in BTW that kind of ****e is for the kids playground and even then it's not acceptable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Are you children? Just go else where

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Amprodude wrote: »
    .....Basically we have a team leader and his best friend is the founder of our group and both don't like me....
    Just puzzled as to how you became part of the team as it would appear to be one of the 'by invitation only' clubs. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Stuff 'em. As the man said, life is too short. Plenty of nice, welcoming clubs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Just move. I had a bit of that in my first club when I started racing. Although my results and form were good, it was like I was still the newbie. Moved to another club and immediately felt more at home. Note: There will be 'cliques' in any club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Life is short - you're not enjoying what you do for enjoyment.

Move on but be sure to let your reason be known I assume there's an AGM in the club and perhaps other members are feeling the same.

Crap situation to be in BTW that kind of ****e is for the kids playground and even then it's not acceptable

I agree totally.

I have tried to see the issues involved and tried to address them but it is always there. I get on with all my racing team except those two guys who just don't inspire me and are negative towards me. Plenty of post mortem abuse given to me after few races and I think il jump ship next year to another club. I'm not contracted to the club and they are not paying my wages so I think myself I don't need that abuse for an amateur pass time that I enjoy.

Thanks for advice

Just puzzled as to how you became part of the team as it would appear to be one of the 'by invitation only' clubs. :confused:

It was the nearest club to where I live. That's why I joined day 1 but i haven't enjoyed it. Should have moved sooner.

Miklos wrote: »
    Stuff 'em. As the man said, life is too short. Plenty of nice, welcoming clubs out there.

True I think il switch at the end of this year.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Just move. I had a bit of that in my first club when I started racing. Although my results and form were good, it was like I was still the newbie. Moved to another club and immediately felt more at home. Note: There will be 'cliques' in any club

The only problem I have is I'm getting disrespected which is not what cycling should be about. Don't mind constructive criticism and delighted to learn new things but you know when you are not liked and treated badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

The only problem I have is I'm getting disrespected which is not what cycling should be about. Don't mind constructive criticism and delighted to learn new things but you know when you are not liked and treated badly.

This isn't a cycling issue.
    Seriously, this is about interpersonal and emotional intelligence. And like all things in life- some are more blessed/cursed/gifted than others.
    I have no more to tell you other than
    I wish you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is there nobody you can say that too in the club. That's not how amateur sport should be. If you can't resolve this and get treated better, I would change clubs sooner than next year. If not , it may start to affect your performance and possibly put you off cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Meh. Plenty of other clubs, most of which are constantly and actively seeking new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Lots of dicks and cliques in all clubs (not just cycling), wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye in a club you won't get on with everyone, cycle with the guys you like, and stick to exchanging pleasantries with those you don't, lifes too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Its early in the season , just leave now . You should be enjoying your cycling .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Did you not post either last year or the year before that about something similar? Just ride unattached and then no issue. If this issue is occuring frequently then you probably need to look closer to home to see if the issue lies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I miss your threads.

Nothing to stop you applying for a transfer immediately, you don't have to wait until year end. I expect a similar thread about the new club at some stage in the future though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

AmberGold wrote: »
    Lots of dicks and cliques in all clubs (not just cycling), wouldn't worry about it.
    Diques et cliques, non?

In cycling, never pass up an opportunity to be more French.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

by all means change club next year if you feel that is best however a couple of observations

next time they give you a hard time tell them you dont give a **** what they think and walk away, dont bother riding to team orders and suit yourself

I personally wouldnt bother explaining why you are leaving as I dont think they will care, just tell them you are leaving to go to a proper club

there are a lot of characters like this in clubs i am afraid, I have been cycling with certain club for over 20 years and there are guys in it that wont talk to people because they have better bikes.
    racing in ireland is really an individual sport so go and race, enjoy it and tell these bullys to go PFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Just my thought, but I think you are taking it too heartily creating a ground for someone to trample on. If you enjoy the cycle with other members, then just enjoy and care less. I understand you may not, sometimes, be able to skip going with some people abreast in the peloton, but you are not obliged to talk every time. Some people, actually, enjoy the sound of peloton more than yapping all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement