Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike battery dead

• 09-04-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Hi,

Stressed to bits here :(

Starting a new job in the morning and my only way to commute is my Ninja 250 whose battery is dead.

Does anyone know any solutions, called a fewrecovery places but they will only bring to garage for repair - I'm in South Dublin so if anyone knows any call out firms who could jump start I'd be eternally grateful.

Any advice really appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jump start?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jump/push start it. If you're very stuck drop me a PM and I'll meet you and give you a loan of a battery charger.

But to be honest batteries don't take charges like they used to and you're best off getting a replacement when you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Starting a new job in the morning and my only way to commute is my Ninja 250 whose battery is dead.

Is the batery dead or is the bike not charging it ?

If it's just dead give the bike a good run today or go out and buy a jump cable or charge pack and bring it with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

bladespin wrote: »
    Jump start?

Tried that. Am i doing it right?

Run with bike in 1st gear with clutch in, then with a bit of speed release the clutch quickly?

Run with bike in 1st gear with clutch in, then with a bit of speed release the clutch quickly?

What kind of bike are you pushing?. You might need more than just yourself to get it going too, if its a big single, Vee or boxer you'll have your work cut out for you.

And are you positive its the battery?.

• Advertisement

What kind of bike are you pushing?. You might need more than just yourself to get it going too, if its a big single, Vee or boxer you'll have your work cut out for you.

And are you positive its the battery?.

Its only a ninja 250 (i've been told its not a real motorbike😂)

And I think we chatted on pm before about a mutual friend who passed away, Jimmy C....

Its only a ninja 250 (i've been told its not a real motorbike😂)

And I think we chatted on pm before about a mutual friend who passed away, Jimmy C....

Should be easy enough to push start that.

Does your insurance include home start?.

Tbh even if you get it going today there's no guarantee that it'll start again in the morning, esp if we get a cold night tonight.

I'd be making alternative arrangements to travel tomorrow just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Not sure where you are based but is there any way you can make it out to a halfords.

hairyslug wrote: »
    Not sure where you are based but is there any way you can make it out to a halfords.

Yeah that be no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I had a quick look at their site and (i think) they have your battery in carrickmines,

• Advertisement

hairyslug wrote: »
    I had a quick look at their site and (i think) they have your battery in carrickmines,

Cheers, on the way now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Bring the battery from the bike with you.
    get them to check the voltage.

Got this set

Does this look right?

Red to positive +

Black to Negative -

Attach the red lead 1st,then the black lead,then switch the charger on.

Wonder is that battery charger suitable for a 6v bike battery though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭paddydone1

Red to positive +

Black to Negative -

Attach the red lead 1st,then the black lead,then switch the charger on.

Wonder is that battery charger suitable for a 6v bike battery though?

There a 12 volt battery

Jump start it off a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

Buy yourself a optimate4 trickle charger. One of the best biking purchases I ever made. Saves your battery getting knackered.

Won't help you for the morning mind you.

paddydone1 wrote: »
    There a 12 volt battery

My brain is working on 6 volts today........think it need to be recharged too..:pac::pac::o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just sayin....i always take one lead off my battery when charging..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Got this set

Nice charger but that's a car one : that'll destroy a bike battery very quickly.

You should only charge a battery at 1/10 it's rated capacity. Which means for bikes it's rarely anything over 1 Amp. That one you have is 6 times that.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Got this set

Nice charger but that's a car one : that'll destroy a bike battery very quickly.

You should only charge a battery at 1/10 it's rated capacity. Which means for bikes it's rarely anything over 1 Amp. That one you have is 6 times that.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

Thats what i was thinking and asking was that safe for a bike battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

if back wheel is locking up, try in 2nd gear

Advertisement