Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer refused to pay me via bank account

Options
  • 09-04-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an odd situation here. I was offered some part time car work by an old employer. I very briefly worked for him before and never had any issues. He owns a couple of premises bit his wife only runs one of them, the one being where I took the job.

So I started the bar work and as you would expect, I was a bit out of touch as it had been a while. I pulled a couple of pints wrong and had to pour them down the sink. I drowned the floor behind the bar with water on my first day and also went to mop the floor in the restaurant with the mop used for the toilets. The wife never said anything to me but I could tell she probably thought I had no experience and told her husband I had to go.

Anyway. The husband said he would pay me via my bank account but it never went through. So I called the payroll last who told me the wife requested I was to be paid by cheque. I haven't worked for them in two weeks and I assume I won't be getting any more hours if they paid me my cheque. I was still taxed though but I wasn't put through the books? I'm very confused about this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just ask for a payslip, your entitled to one, after that once your getting your money on any format who cares.

If they refuse a payslip then there is definitely a tax dodge going on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

You lasted one day in a job.... and now your biggest concern is that you were paid by cheque rather than into your bank account.

How do you know you weren't "put through the books". As far as "the books" are concerned, paying you by cheque is the same as paying via bank transfer. i.e. It is a bank transaction and has to be accounted for. It is not like you were paid in cash.

Seeing as they were not keeping you on, I am assuming that they did not want to go to the trouble of setting you up on their pay roll system. That doesn't mean they didn't pay tax on it or that they are trying to pull any kind of a "Fast one". They probably just processed your wages manually.

You could probably go after them and chase them for a payslip for your one day (if you haven't already got it). That would of course 100% guarantee that you would never get an hours work from them again.

Alternatively, you could give the wife a ring some day for a quick chat. Explain that you know you had a bad day but that you hadn't worked in a bar/restaurant for a while and took a small bit of time to get back up to speed and ask her if she'd give you another shot at it. It would be a hell of a lot more constructive than moaning about getting paid by cheque...!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

_Brian wrote: »

If they refuse a payslip then there is definitely a tax dodge going on in the background.

Dodging tax on one day's work, paid by cheque? Ya I can see how that will save the employer a mountain of money. Or of course it is not work the hassle of registering the op, putting her through payroll, deducting her levies from her pay check and generating a P45 for one day.

Advertisement