Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary PME interview

Options
  • 09-04-2017 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

Has anyone here ever been for interview for the Primary PME, particularly in the Marino, Maynooth, Pat's and Mary I?

I came across the below on the Primary PME page on Marino's site so just have a few questions about the Oral Irish part of the interview:

The Oral Irish Examination will comprise:-

conversation on everyday topics and on books read by the applicant; and
    reading correctly and intelligently a suitable passage of prose or poetry and explaining the matter read.

Do you get a choice of reading prose or poetry and is there any texts that commonly come up? Also, for the books ready by the applicant, would these be expected to be books in Irish (eg. An Triail) or can they be any book in any language you've read.

Also for the English part of the interview, what can kind of questions did they ask you and were you asked anything that would need you to have done a good bit of research on the primary syllabus?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skittles87

CFCMad wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Has anyone here ever been for interview for the Primary PME, particularly in the Marino, Maynooth, Pat's and Mary I?

I came across the below on the Primary PME page on Marino's site so just have a few questions about the Oral Irish part of the interview:

The Oral Irish Examination will comprise:-

conversation on everyday topics and on books read by the applicant; and
    reading correctly and intelligently a suitable passage of prose or poetry and explaining the matter read.

Do you get a choice of reading prose or poetry and is there any texts that commonly come up? Also, for the books ready by the applicant, would these be expected to be books in Irish (eg. An Triail) or can they be any book in any language you've read.

Also for the English part of the interview, what can kind of questions did they ask you and were you asked anything that would need you to have done a good bit of research on the primary syllabus?

Thanks.

Hi I did the interview last year for Maynooth, ready to try again this year as didn't get it! They handed me a short poem in Irish which I just had to read, I didn't recognise it or understand it to be honest, they just asked was I familiar with the poet and I said I didn't know him and that was it... They didn't ask me about books which was annoying because everywhere said to prepare it, it's just books you've read not Irish books, just be able to prepare it and bring it into conversation if you can. Asked me also about my degree, if I had teaching experience, why I want to be a teacher, what I did last weekend and holidays. I think that was it. Take your time and speak as much Irish as possible no matter how silly it might sound if you're asked what you did at the weekend - like 'I woke up at.., I ate my breakfast, I went to...'etc. Just try not let the nerves get to you! Hoping I'll do better this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skittles87

And best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LauraB95

What date is your interview ? Mines on the 26th and I'm so nervous to read the poem, I've looked up a few online and I am kinda struggling with the pronunciation and understanding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 schristinac

Hi LauraB95
    would you mind sending a link to where you found some poems or the names of the poems and I can search them.  I cant seem to find them anywhere. I don't know anyone who has been for the interview before and I am really nervous about the Irish element.
    Thanks

Hi Schristinac,

The poems I have are not specifically for the PME interview, however I have been using them to practice pronunciation. It won't let me send a link in the forum but the name of the website is comhaltas.ie, if you click on Education and then Comhra Gaeilge you should see a link for Danta. Hope this helps a little.

I'm so nervous too !! How is your Irish if you don't mind me asking ? Do you know the date of your interview ?

Best of Luck with everything :)

Laura

• Advertisement

That was really good idea :)  thank you for that. I might search some of these poems on you tube to see if I can find them. It would be handy to hear how to pronounce the words.
    I bought the leaving cert Oral book and I have been using that. I also using youtube to listen sample leaving cert orals. I find that really good.
    My interview with Marino is 4th May and with Pats it is 7th May.
    which interview are you attending tomorrow?

Oh that is really clever listening to them on youtube, I never thought of doing that. My interview tomorrow is for Froebel/ Marino. You are so lucky yours is a little later :) My interview for Pats is on the 9th of May :)

I hope you do really well tomorrow. Let me know how you get on afterwards.
    My interview for Pats is the day before you so I can let you know how it goes and I'll share any tips/advice with you too..

Thank you so much !! I'll be sure to let you know how it went :)

Talk to you later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LmcM24

Hey just wondering do any of ye have either bord 1 for marino or bord 3 for pats? :)

• Advertisement

LauraB95 wrote: »
    Thank you so much !! I'll be sure to let you know how it went :)

Talk to you later :)

Hi LauraB95

How did the interview go yesterday?

Hi lmcm24

I am room 13 for pats and board 4 for marino.

quote="LmcM24;103345867"]Hey just wondering do any of ye have either bord 1 for marino or bord 3 for pats? :)[/quote]

hi schristinac,

when do you have your interviews? Most seem to have them thurs/friday of next week for marino. Mine is on the Thursday.

Mine is next Thursday morning.

Do you know anything about the Irish text we need to read for the Marino and pats interview??

From what I heard from others It wont be anything that we can prepare so we will just have to give it our best shot

Advertisement