Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidentally Transferred Money to Estate Agent

Options
  • 09-04-2017 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Closing on our house on Tuesday. Had to transfer the balance, €20000, to my solicitor on Friday. Long story short, I accidentally transferred the money to the estate agent's account. Estate agent isn't open til the morning but surely that money will be returned? Causing me some stress at the minute

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They'll tranfer it back for you. It's your money, the solicitor cocked up with us back in the day and we had to give it back :(

So glass of wine, deep breath and don't worry :pac:

Good luck with the move!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Might take a week or 2 for them to transfer it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Agree with Samuel. nothing to worry about .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Might take a week or 2 for them to transfer it back.

To be fair if they're the EA in question and the OP doesn't have another 20K to play with I'm sure they'll work something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Don't worry they will give it back. It may take a few days though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

To be fair if they're the EA in question and the OP doesn't have another 20K to play with I'm sure they'll work something out.

You would hope so but the transfer will take a few working days to clear in both directions. With a bank holiday weekend coming up and Good Friday on the mix we could be talking 2 weeks minimum. The EA would be crazy to transfer the funds back before he had access to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You would hope so but the transfer will take a few working days to clear in both directions. With a bank holiday weekend coming up and Good Friday on the mix we could be talking 2 weeks minimum. The EA would be crazy to transfer the funds back before he had access to them.

I'm not sure about with other banks, but with permanent TSB they guarantee that same bank transfer will be immediate and other bank transfers will be next working day. I assume all Irish banks are the same?

I've even had international (non EU) transfers arrive in my bank the following working day.

So it could be done very swiftly if the EA wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod note: You can't open the same thread on multiple sections of boards.

Tomorrow, contact your bank and the estate agent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Closing on our house on Tuesday. Had to transfer the balance, €20000, to my solicitor on Friday. Long story short, I accidentally transferred the money to the estate agent's account. Estate agent isn't open til the morning but surely that money will be returned? Causing me some stress at the minute

For future reference- if its a SEPA payment- you can automatically reverse it immediately, even outside of office hours. Contact your bank for further information.

As you have multiple threads on the same topic- this thread is closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement