Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland SHC Final (formerly SHC thread) - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

danganabu wrote: »
    I think this is a very pertinent point, one of the perceived weakness in the Galway team is the lack of goals however you don't need goals to beat Waterford, with the way Waterford set up, the ability to score points from distance is what will ultimately decide your faith and right now there is no better team in the country at doing this. Waterford on the other hand are very hit and miss in this department, in their last 3 games they have hit 16, 14 and 16 wides respectively.

True; however the Leinster final was the only game (and almost unique in this sense) that Galway didn't even create a goal chance. Better finishing v Offaly and Tipp would surely have seen a green flag raised. Galway are often content to shoot from distance, I hope not to their detriment on final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

I don't know maybe it's just me but I think the opposite. Waterford system is more designed to cut the space around midfield as well as using TDeB to protect Coughlan. McGrath packs the midfield to the rafters with Gleeson, Mahony, Brick and Dillon all working around that area with Barron and Moran. I think this will be the game Galway will find it the hardest to shoot a high score from distance, they may well need to actually get goals to beat this Waterford side. But they do obviously have some serious quality up front, it's just the likes of Cooney, Mannion and Whelan inside look to try and move into space away from the goals to score points, than dip the shoulder and go for goals.

I think it will be a tight enough game if Waterford can function well enough in attack, but I have my doubts. I dont buy the opinion that Waterford are now a goal scoring side. They got a couple of goals late on after extra time against Kilkenny when bodies are tired and a 14 man Cork team. This opinion needs to be taken on its merits because they dont commit many players up top. Galway have the best goalie and full back so I dont see it as an isdue that Waterford can raise the green flag a couple of more times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Tipp scored goals against Waterford last year by dropping high ball in on top of tdb and cutting out the space around him to pick his man out to start Waterford attacks.Galway have enough ball winners to cause much the same problems for them,to stop WD building from the back as they did against cork in the semi.
    The man in the middle Horgan will have a big bearing on this match will WD feel he can ref them fairly after tdb and will Gal think he might be to lenient for WD regarding the tdb sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bluemallon

I said wrote: »
    Tipp scored goals against Waterford last year by dropping high ball in on top of tdb and cutting out the space around him to pick his man out to start Waterford attacks.Galway have enough ball winners to cause much the same problems for them,to stop WD building from the back as they did against cork in the semi.
    The man in the middle Horgan will have a big bearing on this match will WD feel he can ref them fairly after tdb and will Gal think he might be to lenient for WD regarding the tdb

All these ifs and what ifs, Mcgrath will bring his proven tactic to this last and final game of 2017 his bench and if Waterford are within 2/3 points at that stage ( 50 mins approx ) I see it curtains for Galway, sorry to disappoint ye all but they will seal the win with 3/5 points to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Bluemallon wrote: »
    The man in the middle Horgan will have a big bearing on this match will WD feel he can ref them fairly after tdb and will Gal think he might be to lenient for WD regarding the tdb

All these ifs and what ifs, Mcgrath will bring his proven tactic to this last and final game of 2017 his bench and if Waterford are within 2/3 points at that stage ( 50 mins approx ) I see it curtains for Galway, sorry to disappoint ye all but they will seal the win with 3/5 points to spare.

You think the Waterford bench will win the game for them???. Cant honestly see it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Robson99 wrote: »

You think the Waterford bench will win the game for them???. Cant honestly see it myself.

Waterford bench is very strong. Not beyond the realms of possibilty they could have a big impact on the game if it's still in the melting pot. Out of interest why do you not see them making a difference. Obviously if Galway are too far ahead then the subs are not likely to be able to claw it back but in a close game no reason they won't have an important role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Good bench that have in no doubt proven its worth but galway bench is just as strong in the replacement forwards added to the fact galway also bring on a number of forwards in the second half similar to Waterford

Waterford bench is very strong. Not beyond the realms of possibilty they could have a big impact on the game if it's still in the melting pot. Out of interest why do you not see them making a difference. Obviously if Galway are too far ahead then the subs are not likely to be able to claw it back but in a close game no reason they won't have an important role.

Maurice Shanahan appears to be the main go to from the bench and IMO he wouldn't be one I would be holding my breath for to get a team over the line. Just my thoughts but I think if Galway are 2 or 3 points up with 50 mins gone then they will punch holes in Waterford as they try to get back into the game.
    Flynn and glynn are probably the 2 best forwards that will be on the bench and both in Galways dugout

Maurice Shanahan appears to be the main go to from the bench and IMO he wouldn't be one I would be holding my breath for to get a team over the line. Just my thoughts but I think if Galway are 2 or 3 points up with 50 mins gone then they will punch holes in Waterford as they try to get back into the game.
    Flynn and glynn are probably the 2 best forwards that will be on the bench and both in Galways dugout

Makes for a facinating second half then, may the best bench win.

Makes for a facinating second half then, may the best bench win.

Look if Waterford are 2 or 3 pts up with 10 mins to go then Galway could really struggle to break them down. A 4 point plus lead at any stage in the second half for either team will prob be enough to see them win

• Advertisement

Most people on here see Galway as the winners and don't give Waterford much of chance. Galway are deserved favourites but I think that will suit Waterford. I think Waterford will have to bring their A game to have a chance to cause an upset. On the flipside Galways performance level will have to be high. There's always a chance that either team may not perform to the maximum of their capabilities. There's many variables and a lot of it is going to come down to on the day. Finals usually take on a life of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

Good man buzzinfly, there's a whole lot of waffle, sitting on fences, cliche and general nothingness in that post.

Most people on here see Galway as the winners and don't give Waterford much of chance. Galway are deserved favourites but I think that will suit Waterford. I think Waterford will have to bring their A game to have a chance to cause an upset. On the flipside Galways performance level will have to be high. There's always a chance that either team may not perform to the maximum of their capabilities. There's many variables and a lot of it is going to come down to on the day. Finals usually take on a life of their own.

Yeah but do you know what, that's not the feeling down here in Waterford confidence is high and we know we have every chance of completing the task at hand.

Mulbert wrote: »
    Good man buzzinfly, there's a whole lot of waffle, sitting on fences, cliche and general nothingness in that post.

Not sitting on any fence proud Waterford man and I think they will win the final. How about u?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

danganabu wrote: »
    Daithi Burke V Brick could be massive in the outcome of this game, Burke is undoubtedly the best full back in the country (competition aint great you would have to concede) and Brick has been outstanding in his last two games.
    What makes you think Brick will be playing FF. Has not played there all year, only a few minutes here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Mulbert

Not sitting on any fence proud Waterford man and I think they will win the final. How about u?

I think they'll win too, I think it will be graft from the first minute. I think Barron and the rest will keep running at them, tighten the midfield. I think Waterford will play to plan, nothing fancy and win with a better forward line than started out.

I don't think galway have a better bench that has been alluded to.

A ground out victory, in my opinion.

Mulbert wrote: »
    I think they'll win too, I think it will be graft from the first minute. I think Barron and the rest will keep running at them, tighten the midfield. I think Waterford will play to plan, nothing fancy and win with a better forward line than started out.

I don't think galway have a better bench that has been alluded to.

A ground out victory, in my opinion.

I'd be of the same opinion. Work rate and fitness and they will have to grind it out. I think Barron will be key. I think he's been our best player this year. Our wide count will need to be lower than previous games and we might need a couple of goals.

Gleason 1st appeal denied ban upheld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Gleason 1st appeal denied ban upheld.
    What was the basis of the appeal? Or are they just chancing their arm?

Only see the result on gaa page on Twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

I suppose it was a harmless enough flick. Well worth appealing in my opinion as it was reported as " striking with minimal force". Was it not that long ago that Kilkenny appealed a yellow card for Henry Shefflin. Why bother or were they just chancing their arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

cascade12 wrote: »
    I suppose it was a harmless enough flick. Well worth appealing in my opinion as it was reported as " striking with minimal force". Was it not that long ago that Kilkenny appealed a yellow card for Henry Shefflin. Why bother or were they just chancing their arm.
    He appealed because the first yellow was incorrectly applied. The cccc agreed, by the way. I don't see how gleeson could reasonably contest this decision.

But anyway was just asking a question, no need to get all defensive and Kilkenny obsessed as usual. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I think people dismissing Waterford's chances haven't got the first clue what they're talking about. Twice today I had people tell me Falway would win because "everyone is tipping them. Waterford can't beat them".

Nobody knows what way Galway will react when a teams throws down the gauntlet. A, let's be honest about it, disappointing Tipp team ran them seriously close in the semi and I think this Galway team struggle to handle the pressure - something Galway teams have done for the last 30 years. I think when the pressure is on, this Galway team will creak.

After being beaten by Cork in June I was praying Derek would go. It was the worst performance I've seen from a Waterford team in years and there looked to be no way back for them after it. The Cork game was priority number one for 8 long months and what was served up on the day was a joke. Throughout Derek's tenure, his biggest fault has been his inability to react to changes in play during the match. The lack of a plan B and reluctancy to make switches was glaringly obvious in almost every defeat over the last 3 years. However, since the defeat to Cork in June, to me, Eoin Murphy looks to be the reason for the change in fortunes. Changes are being made quicker and there is far more communication coming from the line out on to the field. I think Eoin has been instrumental in this and in fairness to Derek it's working well.

Waterford are coming in to this game being written off by almost everyone. Believe me when I say it the players are fully aware what people are saying about them and they're motivated by it. If you're a young fella in your 20's and you've a chance to win an All Ireland medal and give a middle finger to lazy pundits and knockers in the media while doing so, it's going to give you that little bit extra. The players know exactly what they have to do, they know what's on the line and they know they're capable of doing it.

People say Galway are going to be too good for this Waterford team and that we haven't seen the real Galway yet. I think we have seen the real Galway, we've seen it time and time again. Beating the minnows like Wexford and Offaly and struggling past a well below par Tipperary side. Believe me when I say it there's a huge performance in this Waterford team and I think we're going to see it in Croke Park on Sunday week.

Galway creaked for 10 or 15 minutes against Wexford in the Leinster Final. A half decent team would have done huge damage in that time but Wexford just couldn't as they were cooked after 60 mins. This Waterford team are peaking and I've a feeling it will all come right on the day. Waterford are a challenge that Galway won't have met in such a huge game before and I think they won't handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

They had the Liam McCarthy in Tramore with Ozzie on Monday !!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Is the CHC an appeals committee? When TdB was banned they were saying that the CCCC only proposed the ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Is the CHC an appeals committee? When TdB was banned they were saying that the CCCC only proposed the ban

CCCC proposes the ban. If you don't accept the proposed suspension, you get a hearing from CHC. If that fails then you can go to the Central Appeals Committee.

From my own experience at club level, the appeals committee don't rehear the case. You are appealing on the basis that CHC haven't followed the rulebook and have to demonstrate how. I'd imagine going to the CAC will be fairly fruitless but if they want to go to the DRA they have to go through all the motions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The man in the middle Horgan will have a big bearing on this match will WD feel he can ref them fairly after tdb and will Gal think he might be to lenient for WD regarding the tdb sending off.

Horgan may have brandished the red card but he did not 'get' TDB sent off, it was the linesman.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

howiya wrote:
    From my own experience at club level, the appeals committee don't rehear the case. You are appealing on the basis that CHC haven't followed the rulebook and have to demonstrate how. I'd imagine going to the CAC will be fairly fruitless but if they want to go to the DRA they have to go through all the motions.

They aren't going any further with the process , he has accepted the suspension

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

They aren't going any further with the process , he has accepted the suspension

I don't think it was ever going to be overturned, but I can understand the initial appeal. It was on the lower end of the scale for red cards and it's one of those situations where there's no harm in asking the question. But really, while it wasn't particularly dangerous it was a very straightforward red card. You'll often see a ref give a yellow for it, but if you do it and get sent off you it's fair enough.

I do have an awful lot of sympathy for him though. We've all done stupid things in the heat of the moment, but paying this price for them is rare.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    I do have an awful lot of sympathy for him though. We've all done stupid things in the heat of the moment, but paying this price for them is rare.

It really was silly and probably something he will regret for the rest of his career at least, I mean the game was over, just laugh at the lad and point to the scoreboard, that would hurt him far more that any skelp across the legs.

Motivator wrote: »
    I think people dismissing Waterford's chances haven't got the first clue what they're talking about. Twice today I had people tell me Falway would win because "everyone is tipping them. Waterford can't beat them".

Nobody knows what way Galway will react when a teams throws down the gauntlet. A, let's be honest about it, disappointing Tipp team ran them seriously close in the semi and I think this Galway team struggle to handle the pressure - something Galway teams have done for the last 30 years. I think when the pressure is on, this Galway team will creak.

After being beaten by Cork in June I was praying Derek would go. It was the worst performance I've seen from a Waterford team in years and there looked to be no way back for them after it. The Cork game was priority number one for 8 long months and what was served up on the day was a joke. Throughout Derek's tenure, his biggest fault has been his inability to react to changes in play during the match. The lack of a plan B and reluctancy to make switches was glaringly obvious in almost every defeat over the last 3 years. However, since the defeat to Cork in June, to me, Eoin Murphy looks to be the reason for the change in fortunes. Changes are being made quicker and there is far more communication coming from the line out on to the field. I think Eoin has been instrumental in this and in fairness to Derek it's working well.

Waterford are coming in to this game being written off by almost everyone. Believe me when I say it the players are fully aware what people are saying about them and they're motivated by it. If you're a young fella in your 20's and you've a chance to win an All Ireland medal and give a middle finger to lazy pundits and knockers in the media while doing so, it's going to give you that little bit extra. The players know exactly what they have to do, they know what's on the line and they know they're capable of doing it.

People say Galway are going to be too good for this Waterford team and that we haven't seen the real Galway yet. I think we have seen the real Galway, we've seen it time and time again. Beating the minnows like Wexford and Offaly and struggling past a well below par Tipperary side. Believe me when I say it there's a huge performance in this Waterford team and I think we're going to see it in Croke Park on Sunday week.

Galway creaked for 10 or 15 minutes against Wexford in the Leinster Final. A half decent team would have done huge damage in that time but Wexford just couldn't as they were cooked after 60 mins. This Waterford team are peaking and I've a feeling it will all come right on the day. Waterford are a challenge that Galway won't have met in such a huge game before and I think they won't handle it.
    So much tarmac in the above.
    A disappointing Tipp team - Defending all Ireland champions and the team that put 5-19 past Waterford last year
    Galway cant handle pressure - kettle calling pot black there. Show me where Waterford handled pressure well in the last 60 years
    Praying Derek would go - like 75% of Waterford fans who now think they have found Rinus Michels and they are playing the equivalent of Total football
    Galway beating minnows like offaly and Wexford - take a look at who Waterford played this year
    The statement on the Galway Wexford game is just drivel. Galway beat Wexford by 9 pts. Waterford beat them by 4.
    Seriously take a look at what you write before you post it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

A disappointing Tipp team - Defending all Ireland champions and the team that put 5-19 past Waterford last year
    Galway cant handle pressure - kettle calling pot black there. Show me where Waterford handled pressure well in the last 60 years
    Praying Derek would go - like 75% of Waterford fans who now think they have found Rinus Michels and they are playing the equivalent of Total football
    Galway beating minnows like offaly and Wexford - take a look at who Waterford played this year
    The statement on the Galway Wexford game is just drivel. Galway beat Wexford by 9 pts. Waterford beat them by 4.

Alot of the waterford posts have not so much a feeling of trying to convince anyone else that they're going to win, but more a case of convincing themselves. To say that Tipp display in the semi was that of a team that didnt impress is hogwash of the highest order. Tipp would have taken both Waterford and Cork to the cleaners with that display.

Gleeson making an ass of himself on 2fm earlier saying how the helmet pull was accidental then within 2 sentences saying at least he got out of it. Hes not the sharpest tool in the shed that fella.

Tipp were disappointing this year. Brilliant last year and disappointing this year. I don't think anyone can disagree with that. I'm a big fan of that Tipp team in full flow, they weren't anywhere near the standards of last year meaning they were disappointing.

Galway have been disappointing when the pressure has been on them over the years. Again, I don't think anybody can disagree with that. I think they should have beaten Kilkenny in the All Ireland finals in 2012 and 2015 and Galway didn't turn up against Cork in 2005. There was an All Ireland there for the taking in 2013 and they bowed out tamely.

Offaly are considered minnows by the majority of hurling people. Perhaps it was a bit strong of me to label Wexford minnows but they are a poor team. Waterford should have beaten them by at least what Galway did. A last gasp goal when the game was over flattered Wexford big time - their own manager admitted that himself.

Yes, I freely admit I wanted Derek to go after the Cork game. There has been a big change in things since that game. Perhaps not in how the players are lining up but in their attitude and their application in each game since the defeat to Cork. Also, there has been a big shake up on the line - the addition of two new faces on the backroom team. It may not look like there has been much change to people from outside the county but I can assure you there has been changes and positive ones at that.

If you don't like what I have written then come back to me with a more mature response instead of flying off the handle.

If you don't like what I have written then come back to me with a more mature response instead of flying off the handle.[/quote]

Practice what you preach then

Tipp were disappointing this year. Brilliant last year and disappointing this year. I don't think anyone can disagree with that. I'm a big fan of that Tipp team in full flow, they weren't anywhere near the standards of last year meaning they were disappointing.

Galway have been disappointing when the pressure has been on them over the years. Again, I don't think anybody can disagree with that. I think they should have beaten Kilkenny in the All Ireland finals in 2012 and 2015 and Galway didn't turn up against Cork in 2005. There was an All Ireland there for the taking in 2013 and they bowed out tamely.

Offaly are considered minnows by the majority of hurling people. Perhaps it was a bit strong of me to label Wexford minnows but they are a poor team. Waterford should have beaten them by at least what Galway did. A last gasp goal when the game was over flattered Wexford big time - their own manager admitted that himself.

Yes, I freely admit I wanted Derek to go after the Cork game. There has been a big change in things since that game. Perhaps not in how the players are lining up but in their attitude and their application in each game since the defeat to Cork. Also, there has been a big shake up on the line - the addition of two new faces on the backroom team. It may not look like there has been much change to people from outside the county but I can assure you there has been changes and positive ones at that.

If you don't like what I have written then come back to me with a more mature response instead of flying off the handle.
    I didn't fly off the handle. I just consider what you posted about Galway being bottlers and Waterford suddenly the Ajax of Hurling as pure spoof talk. And even more so coming from one who wanted McGrath out just a couple if games ago.
    Waterford have one all Ireland final appearance in over fifty years
    And guess what considering you are going back to Galway in 2005 well Waterford getting beaten by was it 23 points in 2008 has to be the most embarrassing bottle job of all time. Even Antrim no disrespect to them put up a much better show in 1989.
    So IMO Waterford are the kings of bottlers

• Advertisement

I didn't fly off the handle. I just consider what you posted about Galway being bottlers and Waterford suddenly the Ajax of Hurling as pure spoof talk. And even more so coming from one who wanted McGrath out just a couple if games ago.
    And guess what considering you are going back to Galway in 2005 well Waterford getting beaten by was it 23 points in 2008 has to be the most embarrassing bottle job of all time. Even Antrim no disrespect to them put up a much better show in 1989.

Ajax of hurling? Where did you get that out of?

Waterford have only been in one final in 50 years which was a disaster. Can hardly be called king of bottlers if they have only played one final. Galway have been in more finals and bottled more finals. Anyway all that really matters is the game that lies ahead. Judging by your posts you seem to have a huge disliking for Waterford. That's your choice you are entitled to your opinion. As a Waterford fan I just hope they give it their best and can win on the day. If Galway win then fair play to them I wouldn't begrudge them an All Ireland either.

Waterford have only been in one final in 50 years which was a disaster. Can hardly be called king of bottlers if they have only played one final. Galway have been in more finals and bottled more finals. Anyway all that really matters is the game that lies ahead. Judging by your posts you seem to have a huge disliking for Waterford. That's your choice you are entitled to your opinion. As a Waterford fan I just hope they give it their best and can win on the day. If Galway win then fair play to them I wouldn't begrudge them an All Ireland either.

Actually quiet the opposite. I always shout for Waterford when Galway are out of it. I was just responding to the other poster who was saying Galway had beaten nothing and are bottlers. I am also quiet amused with the way all the Waterford fans have suddenly jumped into the McGrath philophosy and are finding every description possible to make their brand of hurling sexy
    Anyone with a knowledge of hurling will know that this is a seasoned Galway team. They have been knocking on the door for the last 5 years and were unlucky in 2012. Also unlucky last year as I think they would gave beaten Kk if thy had got over Tipp. I think they are 2 or 3 years ahead of Waterford progression wise and honestly think the bookies have it priced correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway have been disappointing when the pressure has been on them over the years. Again, I don't think anybody can disagree with that. I think they should have beaten Kilkenny in the All Ireland finals in 2012 and 2015 and Galway didn't turn up against Cork in 2005. .

Those lost finals were against genuinely all time great teams though. Kilkenny when they still had something left in the tank unlike the past year or two and the last great Cork side at the peak of their powers. They were just better teams than Galway on each occasion even though Galway led for a while in the Kilkenny finals.

I actually don't think Galway have lost very many finals to teams they were definitely better than. 1990 possibly against Cork is the only one they really should have won. In the others I think they just lost to better teams.

Actually quiet the opposite. I always shout for Waterford when Galway are out of it. I was just responding to the other poster who was saying Galway had beaten nothing and are bottlers. I am also quiet amused with the way all the Waterford fans have suddenly jumped into the McGrath philophosy and are finding every description possible to make their brand of hurling sexy
    Anyone with a knowledge of hurling will know that this is a seasoned Galway team. They have been knocking on the door for the last 5 years and were unlucky in 2012. Also unlucky last year as I think they would gave beaten Kk if thy had got over Tipp. I think they are 2 or 3 years ahead of Waterford progression wise and honestly think the bookies have it priced correctly.

Everyone knows Galway are favourites and expected to win. I'm sure they will be viewing it as their easiest chance to win an All Ireland out of all the finals they have played in. I'm not a fan of the bottlers tag for any team as often a lot of the current players were not even playing in previous finals. Every game is different. Galway are a great team but not so great that Waterford aren't capable of beating them. I'm biased but I think Waterford can pull off the upset if they get it right on the day.

• Advertisement

Everyone knows Galway are favourites and expected to win. I'm sure they will be viewing it as their easiest chance to win an All Ireland out of all the finals they have played in. I'm not a fan of the bottlers tag for any team as often a lot of the current players were not even playing in previous finals. Every game is different. Galway are a great team but not so great that Waterford aren't capable of beating them. I'm biased but I think Waterford can pull off the upset if they get it right on the day.

Very true nobody in Galway is doubting if Waterford could win it why 1.great team 2. It's a final.
    This expected to win talk is only in the heads of some, Galway should be confident they can win no more so than Waterford who both can base it on form which should be what you look at.

threeball wrote: »
    Alot of the waterford posts have not so much a feeling of trying to convince anyone else that they're going to win, but more a case of convincing themselves. To say that Tipp display in the semi was that of a team that didnt impress is hogwash of the highest order. Tipp would have taken both Waterford and Cork to the cleaners with that display.

Gleeson making an ass of himself on 2fm earlier saying how the helmet pull was accidental then within 2 sentences saying at least he got out of it. Hes not the sharpest tool in the shed that fella.

You have to take into account the people who had no interest in hurling until they beat Kilkenny.
    Suddenly they are all massive fans , McGrath is now a genius , and "how come were only getting 15,000 tickets " .....
    Ohh, and "Qzzie got the helmet by accident, shur he said it himself" .....

God the stuff we have to listen to !!!!! .......... :rolleyes::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Reading some of the comments here you'd think the final is between two teams of bottlers.

Those of us who are genuine hurling folk know what bull**** that is.

Two great teams in this final and the team who hurls best on the day and has a bit of good fortune will win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

I find that funny when people say that Galway were unlucky in 2012, Kilkenny took the game by the scruff of the neck closed them down they should have wining in the end only for a free was giving for diving by Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

The final is between two sides who have been consistently close to the all ireland winning teams the last 2 championships. This year they each knocked one of them out of the championship.

It's not a flash in the pan final, both have consistently been close and kicked down the door this year. Its a novel final with two very good teams and should be compelling. Hugely exciting for both counties, so pre game bitterness is surprising and ill thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

The final is between two sides who have been consistently close to the all ireland winning teams the last 2 championships. This year they each knocked one of them out of the championship.

It's not a flash in the pan final, both have consistently been close and kicked down the door this year. Its a novel final with two very good teams and should be compelling. Hugely exciting for both counties, so pre game bitterness is surprising and ill thought.

At last a voice of reason!
    If we're not back in love by Monday we can go our separate ways.
    :D

And for all hurling fans in reality, I think its a fantastic pairing for the game of hurling, as I said before I think its the first time that the so called big three have been relatively strong and none of them has made the final, and realistically none of them can have any complaints about not being there, both finalists are there on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Look the reality is that if most of us with a stake in this year's final had been asked at the start of the season "who would you like to see win Liam this year if not your own county" the answer would have been Sunday week's opposition.

At least, in the circles I move in, Waterford fans tend to shout for Galway when Waterford are out and vice versa.

All this trolling and hatemongering is just a few loud mouths who can't remain civil or just enjoy being huge WUMs.

puzl wrote: »

All this trolling and hatemongering is just a few loud mouths who can't remain civil or just enjoy being huge WUMs.

Does that mean people cant voice their dislike of one of the counties then? :confused:
    I personally, would immensely hate to see one of the counties win!
    I am allowed do that arent i?
    I am also allowed post my opinions , as this is a discussion thread !

Waterford AI minor champs 2013 AI U21 champs 2016. With 7 off those 2 panels on the current senior panel . Beating Galway in both finals , would say they have no fear for Sunday week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement