Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland SHC Final (formerly SHC thread) - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

threeball wrote: »
    Galway are the better balanced team. Most teams have an excellent forward line but inferior backs or vice versa but theres very few teams that have a very strong back and forward 6. If Galway get over the line, as I expect them to, l believe they could become a serious force in hurling over the next few years. They remind me a little of kk in the early part of this decade.

Probably best leave them win one before comparing them to a team that won 4 in 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Probably best leave them win one before comparing them to a team that won 4 in 5 years.

You should probably read the post again

You should probably read the post again

It doesn't matter that you've said "if they go on and win it", it's still a very premature statement.

Tipperary are a perfect example. In 2010, there was a popular opinion that they would take up the mantle and have a Kilkennyesque dominance due to their incredibly favourable age profile and talent pool. I think they have been excellent generally since, but they only have 1 more to show for in 7 years which highlights how incredible Kilkennys achievement was. I think it would be doing them quite a disservice to compare any team to them until they actually achieve that success.

I also think this year showed the signs of the competitive and open nature that we can expect in the championships of the coming years. I personally cannot see any team being dominant. One thing that might aid Galway is being in Leinster but with the talk of a restructure I would not be counting on it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

People have been saying teams will be "the next kilkenny" etc. ever since 2010 when they lost to Tipp.

The talent of that team was exceptional and their dominance was an anomaly, we won't get a team like that for another 30-40 years.

People have been saying teams will be "the next kilkenny" etc. ever since 2010 when they lost to Tipp.

The talent of that team was exceptional and their dominance was an anomaly, we won't get a team like that for another 30-40 years.

The stars really aligned for them because from 2002-2010 they had phenomenal minor and u21 teams that followed that Senior team from 98-2002 which itself was a very competitive team. This gave Cody the luxury of introducing intense competition within the panel.

It doesn't matter that you've said "if they go on and win it", it's still a very premature statement.

Tipperary are a perfect example. In 2010, there was a popular opinion that they would take up the mantle and have a Kilkennyesque dominance due to their incredibly favourable age profile and talent pool. I think they have been excellent generally since, but they only have 1 more to show for in 7 years which highlights how incredible Kilkennys achievement was. I think it would be doing them quite a disservice to compare any team to them until they actually achieve that success.

I also think this year showed the signs of the competitive and open nature that we can expect in the championships of the coming years. I personally cannot see any team being dominant. One thing that might aid Galway is being in Leinster but with the talk of a restructure I would not be counting on it either.

Perhaps you should also learn to differentiate when a person says "they remind me a little" vs they're a carbon copy/reincarnation/whatever other totally different interpretation you decided to find in the post to suit your non sensical argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

We will likely never see in our lifetime a county win 11 AI's in a 16 year span, but it wouldn't be implausible for Joe Canning to retire with 2 or 3 AI's. But that will have alot to do with Sunday, they have a great chance here.

Perhaps you should also learn to differentiate when a person says "they remind me a little" vs they're a carbon copy/reincarnation/whatever other totally different interpretation you decided to find in the post to suit your non sensical argument.

Ok then, justify it. Why do they remind you of Kilkenny and why do you think they could go on to be a "force". What exactly does that mean, how many all irelands do you think they are going to win?

You drew a comparison whether you like it or not. You didn't have to say they were a carbon copy, I could say the same about Waterford otherwise should they win and when questioned justify it by saying "well they'll have won an all-ireland, just like Kilkenny" ,but that doesn't make it right to compare them to me anyway.

Ok then, justify it. Why do they remind you of Kilkenny and why do you think they could go on to be a "force". What exactly does that mean, how many all irelands do you think they are going to win?

You drew a comparison whether you like it or not. You didn't have to say they were a carbon copy, I could say the same about Waterford otherwise should they win and when questioned justify it by saying "well they'll have won an all-ireland, just like Kilkenny" ,but that doesn't make it right to compare them to me anyway.

Lets break it down for you as you seem to be struggling with it.

If Galway get over the line: implies that they could well get beaten

as I expect them to,: I do however expect them to win

l believe they could become a serious force in hurling over the next few years.: That they will be in a number of all Ireland finals in the coming years. Whether they win them is a different matter but a force none the less.

They remind me a little of kk in the early part of this decade: They are a big physically powerful team with an equally impressive back and forward 6, a HB line that are exceptionally good at fielding ball and an ability to put the foot on the accelerator and pull away from a team in a 10 min spell.

But of course that won't satisfy you as you wanted to see something that wasn't there. To me there's similarities between the teams, it doesn't mean that they will achieve anything like KK did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

How are ye finding the ticket hunt this year? I got one in upper hogan but it's not great. Seems to be big demand.

Seems to be much tougher than previous years. I usually get sorted in my GAA clubs draw but no luck this year. I've someone looking for me in Clare too. Getting very nervous I will miss out now. I've the bus booked so will be going up anyhow but I even envisage it being tough in the pubs to pick one up when so many will be looking for them. Touts will have a field day! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Redo91 wrote: »
    Seems to be much tougher than previous years. I usually get sorted in my GAA clubs draw but no luck this year. I've someone looking for me in Clare too. Getting very nervous I will miss out now. I've the bus booked so will be going up anyhow but I even envisage it being tough in the pubs to pick one up when so many will be looking for them. Touts will have a field day! :(

If you have the option of going up on Saturday or if you know someone that will be around on the Saturday there is always a plethora of tickets floating around at the sevens out in Kilmacud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

danganabu wrote: »
    If you have the option of going up on Saturday or if you know someone that will be around on the Saturday there is always a plethora of tickets floating around at the sevens out in Kilmacud.

I won't be going up til the Sunday morning but I know a few living up in Dublin so will ask them if they are out and about to keep an eye out for me. Thanks for the tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Redo91 wrote: »
    I won't be going up til the Sunday morning but I know a few living up in Dublin so will ask them if they are out and about to keep an eye out for me. Thanks for the tip!

I have lucky enough with tickets through contacts etc over the years but one year the club were playing in the 7s and there was a few lads who had no tickets, I just said to the guy behind the bar in the clubhouse if he heard of any going there was a few genuine hurling men looking for a few, he came back to me two hours later with 5, and I have heard many similar stories.

They remind me a little of kk in the early part of this decade: They are a big physically powerful team with an equally impressive back and forward 6, a HB line that are exceptionally good at fielding ball and an ability to put the foot on the accelerator and pull away from a team in a 10 min spell.

But of course that won't satisfy you as you wanted to see something that wasn't there. To me there's similarities between the teams, it doesn't mean that they will achieve anything like KK did.

Deleting out the childish stuff. If you had explained why you thought they were like Kilkenny initially I wouldn't have had any issues to be honest.

As regards being a force, I would say they are already your definition of a force. They've been competing in all ireland finals and semi finals for the last 6 years regularly and have come out the wrong side narrowly against the susbequent all irelands several times.

Sunday is the big test though, there's no excuses for not winning if there as good as many believe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The stars really aligned for them because from 2002-2010 they had phenomenal minor and u21 teams that followed that Senior team from 98-2002 which itself was a very competitive team. This gave Cody the luxury of introducing intense competition within the panel.

More than competitive in fairness, All Ireland Finalists 4 of those 5 years, winning 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

letowski wrote: »
    We will likely never see in our lifetime a county win 11 AI's in a 16 year span, but it wouldn't be implausible for Joe Canning to retire with 2 or 3 AI's. But that will have alot to do with Sunday, they have a great chance here.

I wouldn't rule it out. Dub football is a prime example. They are on a roll.

Galway to win but it won't be easy. Great to see a novel pairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford are in the Burlington

are Galway in the Citywest or Gibson ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Waterford are in the Burlington

are Galway in the Citywest or Gibson ??
    Citywest

Rightwing wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule it out. Dub football is a prime example. They are on a roll.

Galway to win but it won't be easy. Great to see a novel pairing.

Dublin are the exception and not the rule.

• Advertisement

Dublin are the exception and not the rule.

Well not every team can be winning the 11 AIs in 16 years now, can they - that's what makes them exceptional.

So we've established it's only exceptional teams that can do that. The question was: will there be another one like KK, and I don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Hi all. I'm in the UK for the match but can't watch live. Tried to purchase on GAA go but it isn't available in the UK (ridiculously). Any other options for a delayed viewing?

Cheers
    JD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm in the UK for the match but can't watch live. Tried to purchase on GAA go but it isn't available in the UK (ridiculously). Any other options for a delayed viewing?

Cheers
    JD

It's repeated Monday at 11am and 6:30pm on Sky if that's any good to ya?

Cheers
    JD

Youtube, not sure how long after the match the game will be available on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Wont be watching on RTE tomorrow, Marty morrisey on commentary duty. Not interested in a geography lesson on Galway/Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

C__MC wrote: »
    Wont be watching on RTE tomorrow, Marty morrisey on commentary duty. Not interested in a geography lesson on Galway/Waterford
    Better than looking for latitude to give a delicious pass with skill, guile, and no little panache.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Mediocrity personified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Are both teams heading up in the morining or tonight??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Robson99 wrote: »
    Are both teams heading up in the morining or tonight??
    Galway going in morning anyway . Not sure bout Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

spurshero wrote: »
    Galway going in morning anyway . Not sure bout Waterford

Waterford gone since about 11.30 this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I heard a rumour that the Galway team were having their dinner in the Harcourt Hotel this evening but if they're definitely heading up tomorrow then that's obviously false!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that the Galway team were having their dinner in the Harcourt Hotel this evening but if they're definitely heading up tomorrow then that's obviously false!

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone ever used GAA Go with a VPN? I think I can ask that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone ever used GAA Go with a VPN? I think I can ask that.
    I don't understand why you would need a VPN to work gaago in Britain. It's legally available in Britain, what's the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

As someone who is a recent gaa covert who does not have a ticket , is it worth my while trying to purchase a ticket off a randomer on street tomorrow near croker ( if thats even possible) ?? Or am I pissing against the wind??

Casshern88 wrote: »
    As someone who is a recent gaa covert who does not have a ticket , is it worth my while trying to purchase a ticket off a randomer on street tomorrow near croker ( if thats even possible) ?? Or am I pissing against the wind??

It'll be very hard get tickets I'd imagine, with 2 counties crying out for success, there'll be a lot of bandwagoners around.

Great to see Cody's era has crumbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Got a sneaky feeling that it will be Waterfords day. Hopefully it will be a good game but it won't be a shoot out that's for sure.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Take a drink every time he says a variation of "Awesome Aussie Gleeson" and you'll need a liver transplant by half time.

Still prefer him to Ger Canning. They've done well having Duignan on instead of Cummins as well who's a poor co-commentator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Burial. wrote: »
    Take a drink every time he says a variation of "Awesome Aussie Gleeson" and you'll need a liver transplant by half time.

Still prefer him to Ger Canning. They've done well having Duignan on instead of Cummins as well who's a poor co-commentator.

Jaysus I couldn't bear to be listening to Duigan and his sweeper anti hurling nonsense. Brendan Cummings is far superior.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I believe it will be a close game for the first 50-55 minutes but Galway then pulling away to win by 7-8 points. Something like 25 points to 1-14 or 15 points.

I just can't see Waterford scoring enough or stopping Galway from a run of points for the full 70. My preference would be for Waterford and will be shouting for them and of course Cork in the minor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The HeartBreak Kids hit the hallowed turf today - as much as I'd be happy to see either side win - watching who ever loses after the final whistle is going to be gut wrenching.

Can we not just saw the trophy in half between them?!?!

I'm sure Frank Murphy carries an angle grinder in his back pocket everywhere he goes!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Same as that. As for the radio, Brian " heeeeeeerree in Croke Park " Carty, every half minute..............goodnight.
    I suppose the only alternative is to watch with no commentary.
    Could be worse.
    Enjoy the game.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Got a sneaky feeling that it will be Waterfords day. Hopefully it will be a good game but it won't be a shoot out that's for sure.

Not sure about that. Both teams are putting up big scores. If I were betting I'd def go to beat the bookies points, provided it's a dry day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Of course no player in today's match has a Senior medal, when was the last time it happened? Limerick-Wexford 96 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LENNY86

Really think Galway forwards will have far too much for Waterford today. Hoping for a nice tight game as a neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Of course no player in today's match has a Senior medal, when was the last time it happened? Limerick-Wexford 96 I think.

Would Galway Tipp 2001 have had all Ireland medals?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

I think I remember hearing Declan Ryan has 3 all Ireland medals which is pretty impressive. So that woukd have to be 2001 added to the early 90s late 80s AIs. That's impressive over that period of multiple teams winning titles in fairness.

On today I am really leaning towards Galway. I felt their semi-final would contain the winners and I won't change that now. They have the final day experience and in my opinion play a better brand of the game. Been the most impressive team this year by a long way. Waterford will need Brick and Moran to be as influential as they were against Cork but Gleeson cannot be as anonymous. He only showed when Cork lost the man to the red card. He will also be watched closely today too. He's been walking a tightrope for some time now.

Galway starting Glynn is strange. I cannot see him being sharp enough. He might win primary ball but it's what he does with it that come from match practice.

Good minor match on at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yep, Declan Ryan for Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Absolute cracker, this minor game. Hope senior match lives up to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Cork staring to tire a bit now, Galway could pull away. Hope not, for the sake of the match and Cork don't deserve a comprehensive beating

Cork coming back now. Good response

Advertisement