Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER

Options
  • 09-04-2017 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

Am a first time buyer so learning only learning the ropes of this complicated process! I am looking at a house that has a BER of F and have heard that when BER certs are issued they are accompanied by an advisory report which outline how the BER for the property can be improved. Does anyone know if I can ask the estate agent to see a copy of this so I can understand what type of work would been needed to improve the energy rating before putting in an offer on the property?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You can ask but you will not get. The buyer will then use the recommendations to try and force the price downwards by insisting that the improvements are necessary.

With an F rating you are going to need to do a lot of work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

To be honest the advisory piece is a copy and paste job and carries little weight. As for the. BER I'd take it with a pinch if salt. I know of no one who uses anywhere near as much energy as the ratings say that they will

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

davo10 wrote: »
    You can ask but you will not get. The buyer will then use the recommendations to try and force the price downwards by insisting that the improvements are necessary.

With an F rating you are going to need to do a lot of work anyway.

They can't refuse the cert number and the full report is on the SEAI website. Number should be on the ad anyway legally

Going to move this to accommodation and property now.

Any given rating can be down to a lazy assessor or bogey info given to them rather than the house. They're indicative at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ted1 wrote: »
    To be honest the advisory piece is a copy and paste job and carries little weight. As for the. BER I'd take it with a pinch if salt. I know of no one who uses anywhere near as much energy as the ratings say that they will

Absolutely right. I'm selling a property at the moment and got a cert for it. The tester told me afterwards he couldn't get an accurate reading because the electricity was off so he guessed what it would be and certified it. Waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

https://ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

With the link above, type in the ber number, normally available on the myhome ads.
    Click on the number to the left of the screen and you will find another pdf link for the advisory report.

• Advertisement
Advertisement