Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Robin

Options
  • 09-04-2017 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

I planted a Red Robin about 6 years ago and it's now about 7 feet tall. The site is northfacing and it gets a little sun from the south when it passes by the gaps between my house and my neighbours. The problem is I planted it specifically for screening but what started as an evergreen shrub has now become a decidious shrub shedding its leaves in January/February and new leaves are starting to appear back now. So it's no longer doing it's job!

I want to pull it up and replace it with a bushier evergreen but before I do that I am wondering if first of all there is any way I can treat it so that it won't lose it's leaves and so restore it to it's original purpose.

If not, after 6 years, would the root structure be a problem to dig out completely, like I said I would like to put a shrub in it's place immediately. I have a few options that I could move from other areas of the garden that would give almost instant replacement screening.

Would gratefully appreciate a few opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Red Robin is evergreen so if it is dropping its leaves I'd suspect it is not liking the conditions where it is planted. Pity to dig up such a lovely shrub if something can be done to remedy the situation. Photinias are hardy plants but the won't like heavy wet clay so if that is what you have, I suggest improving it with manure or compost and grit, you should see a marked difference.
    If you still want to go ahead and dig it out, the root structure is not extensive but be aware that if the problem is the growing conditions then anything you replace it will likely suffer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Red Robin is evergreen so if it is dropping its leaves I'd suspect it is not liking the conditions where it is planted. Pity to dig up such a lovely shrub if something can be done to remedy the situation. Photinias are hardy plants but the won't like heavy wet clay so if that is what you have, I suggest improving it with manure or compost and grit, you should see a marked difference.
    If you still want to go ahead and dig it out, the root structure is not extensive but be aware that if the problem is the growing conditions then anything you replace it will likely suffer too.

Thanks for your reply Marhay 70. I agree, it would be a shame to take it out if it can be salvaged. I will try the manure etc. I omitted from my post that I have it planted in a gravel bed - i.e. it's completely surrounded at ground level by gravel pebbles to keep down the weeds. Would you know if this is contributing to the problem? I notice when the leaves drop they are covered in black spots. There are plenty of photinias in the surrounding neighbours' gardens and they are really healthy and don't shed their leaves and I am assuming the soil is the same as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Tisserand wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Marhay 70. I agree, it would be a shame to take it out if it can be salvaged. I will try the manure etc. I omitted from my post that I have it planted in a gravel bed - i.e. it's completely surrounded at ground level by gravel pebbles to keep down the weeds. Would you know if this is contributing to the problem? I notice when the leaves drop they are covered in black spots. There are plenty of photinias in the surrounding neighbours' gardens and they are really healthy and don't shed their leaves and I am assuming the soil is the same as mine.

Yes, the gravel will act as a mulch and if the ground is already wet, a mulch will keep it that way. The spots could be a fungal disease, again made worse by wet conditions and is a sure sign that the plant is under stress. in my experience treating with fungicide can help in certain conditions but not all and creating better conditions is a better way. I would collect all the fallen leaves and burn them, if you leave them on the ground the spores will persist.
    Pull the mulch back and improve the ground as suggested, feed with a general fertiliser and give the plant a trim, cutting back by about a third. This should revitalise it and you can just keep an eye on it over the next twelve months and watch to see if the spots return. If they do, pull off a few affected leaves and bring them to a garden centre where a horticulturalist should be able to identify the problem and recommend a treatment but the spotting is almost certainly the cause of leaf drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Yes, the gravel will act as a mulch and if the ground is already wet, a mulch will keep it that way. The spots could be a fungal disease, again made worse by wet conditions and is a sure sign that the plant is under stress. in my experience treating with fungicide can help in certain conditions but not all and creating better conditions is a better way. I would collect all the fallen leaves and burn them, if you leave them on the ground the spores will persist.
    Pull the mulch back and improve the ground as suggested, feed with a general fertiliser and give the plant a trim, cutting back by about a third. This should revitalise it and you can just keep an eye on it over the next twelve months and watch to see if the spots return. If they do, pull off a few affected leaves and bring them to a garden centre where a horticulturalist should be able to identify the problem and recommend a treatment but the spotting is almost certainly the cause of leaf drop.

That's great advice Marhay70 and I will certainly do what you suggest so I can try and keep the shrub. Many thanks again.

Tisserand

Advertisement