Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the largest evergreen tree I could plant

Options
  • 09-04-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

without needing a digger ?

And where would I source a fairly mature tree ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

answer to your second question - the place i know which sells the biggest trees in pots is tully's nurseries in north county dublin.

regarding the first question, i suspect the answer would depend on the size of the pot more so than the species of tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Given enough time and energy you can dig a hole big enough for pretty much anything. However the problem is going to be moving a large, fairly mature evergreen tree.

There are too many unknowns and variables in your question to be very helpful, but a tree maybe 10 or 12 ft tall is going to be in a pot/root bag about as big as you could move without a machine, if you can get it from the nursery to the site. Generally the bigger the tree the less happy it will be to be moved, evergreens have a tendency to die if they are not happy.

Your best bet would be to go to a nursery and see what you like the look of and if you think you could manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anything is possible but cost and risk of failure increases rapidly with size.

Lance Armstrong moved a 150-year old oak. It reportedly cost him $200k.

http://www.treemover.com/projects/residential/lance-armstrong-residence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    Lance Armstrong moved a 150-year old oak.
    yeah, but he was well juiced at the time.

Advertisement