Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CO2 cannisters on flights?

Options
  • 09-04-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Anyone had any issues bringing Co2 canisters (for pumping tyres) in checked luggage on flights. flying out later tonight and want to bung a few in the bag. don't want them to cause any issue though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hit and miss in my experience. Never had them confiscated leaving here but have on checking in for return flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Anyone had any issues bringing Co2 canisters (for pumping tyres) in checked luggage on flights. flying out later tonight and want to bung a few in the bag. don't want them to cause any issue though.

Banned from planes in onboard and the hold baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Great thanks. will bring the pump so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Just back from Majorca, 2 in the hold going out and 2 coming back and no issues.

jamesd wrote: »
    Just back from Majorca, 2 in the hold going out and 2 coming back and no issues.

You may well not get caught but they are specifically banned from flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Always carry them in my checked luggage - never an issue!

says on the side of the canisters that they could explode in high temperatures. id imagine plane holdsm can get warn enough so didnt want to take the risk without checking.

.. id imagine plane holdsm can get warn enough so didnt want to take the risk without checking.
    Complete opposite - they get very very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

says on the side of the canisters that they could explode in high temperatures. id imagine plane holdsm can get warn enough so didnt want to take the risk without checking.

ah that wont be a problem id say, arent plane holds usually the opposite as in near freezing?

Complete opposite - they get very very cold.

I stand corrected. going to give the canisters a miss. can do without the possible hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Inquitus wrote: »
    Banned from planes in onboard and the hold baggage.

Is that an IATA or FAA rule?
    I can take a gas canister for an (Avalanche) airbag in checked bag which is substantially bigger. I also took an inflatable life jacket in checked when competing in an overseas sailing event. No prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Last year, coming home from Lanzarote, with my bike, I had to sign a declaration stating that I had no CO2 canisters in my checked luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Had 4x16g C02 canisters in my checked luggage twice in the past 6 months with AL, no issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

When you check in there is a list of banned items and these are on this list. Not saying there is a problem with them as every lifejacket under every seat on the plane has one fitted to it, but they are banned.
    Some airports are more thorough at checking so you may get them out but not get them back (or the other way round)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I've had the large baggage holder at Dublin airport tell me that you are allowed bring a small few, that said I've also had the experience at other airports signing to declare that I didn't have any so I don't bother

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Aircaft Lifejackets all contain CO2 cartridges, absolutely no safety reason not to take them in cabin luggage. Regulations or over zealous officials may saw otherwise unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Aircaft Lifejackets all contain CO2 cartridges, absolutely no safety reason not to take them in cabin luggage.
    unless you know for certain, to suggest there is a direct equivalence between CO2 cartridges rated for use in airplane lifejackets, and ones intended for pumping up bike tyres, seems a bit weird.

sure you could try bringing a CO2 fire extinguisher on and claim equivalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Aircaft Lifejackets all contain CO2 cartridges, absolutely no safety reason not to take them in cabin luggage. Regulations or over zealous officials may saw otherwise unfortunately.

Aircraft life jackets are regularly inspected and certified and stored in known conditions. A bunch of random gas cartridges from unknown origins that may have been knocking around someone's saddlebag/car boot/garage for any length of time are a totally different matter.

Can't really expect airline staff to be in a position to count and inspect gas cartridges for size, content, CE marks etc when the easy alternative of bringing a mini pump exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Aircaft Lifejackets all contain CO2 cartridges, absolutely no safety reason not to take them in cabin luggage..

Yea, I wouldn't try argue that point with security at Dublin airport, you will lose 10 times out of 10!

Just pop them in a small bag at the top of your check in suitcase or at the top of your bike bag separate from everything else, and unlocked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

This may be true, however CO2 cartridges are banned. All sorts of things that are actually fitted and used on aircraft are classed as hazardous goods and cannot be carried on board.
    The main aircraft battery is obviously fitted, but you cannot carry another one as freight.
    I would use Tenzors approach if you want to take some with you

Great thanks. will bring the pump so.
    Just curious but do you not bring a pump on a ride anyway even when you have CO2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

From Aer Lingus Guide to Dangerous Goods - you'll find it in their baggage rules

Permitted in checked/carry on but you have to contact them first

"Small non-flammable gas cartridges, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in
    Division 2.2. Up to two (2) small cartridges fitted into a self-inflating safety device such as a
    life jacket, and up to two (2) spare cartridges per person. Not more than one (1) device per
    passenger, and up to two (2) spare small cartridges per passenger, not more than four (4)
    cartridges up to 50ml water capacity for other devices."

Also permitted in checked bags

"Aerosols in Division 2.2, with no subsidiary risk, for sporting or home use. The quantity of
    each single article must not exceed 0.5l or 0.5kg with the total carried not exceeding 2kg
    or 2L per person."

Division 2.2. appears to be non-flammable gases.

As pointed out above, the potentially unknown condition of the cartridges may be a consideration in an individual airline's policy.

You might be best contacting the airline beforehand

I had mine taken off me in my hand baggage flying to France from Dublin a couple of years back. I had forgotten to take them out of my saddle bag, fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

They are airline safety equipment. You can't take your own life jacket or any cartridge other than an approved oxygen one into the cabin. An officcial would not be over zealous if they took these off you. More like doing their job and following safety procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

shipped my bike to Lisbon about a year ago, the person at the oversize checkin said that they were ok in checked luggage.

I didn't have any with me, so was slightly pissed off with myself for not putting some in.

I am fairly sure, that you will get a different story from every airport worker that you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

It's usually easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I've taken 2 to and from Faro in a bike box, they never asked and I never mentioned them. Worst they will do is confiscate them IF they notice them. Chances are they won't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Just curious but do you not bring a pump on a ride anyway even when you have CO2?

Never carry a pump - road or mountain-bike! Two tubes and three CO2 canisters .... been ok so far .... famous last words!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I remember checking in at a U.K. airport many years ago with a very well known Irish cyclist. We were going to a MTB race in U.S.A. He had a couple of CO2 canisters in his hand luggage. He was stopped at security and asked to discard the canisters. He argued the point, using some of the points raised above, like canisters in lifejackets etc. The attendant politely asked him to step to one side and wait a moment. He did so. About 30 seconds later two armed policemen approached him and asked him what the problem was. He argued his case, politely and well, to the Police. The policemen listened and when my friend was done, one of the policemen told him, he could do one of two things, discard the canisters or be arrested. He chose the former.
    There the matter ended.
    Why take the chance?
    When you get to your destination, buy a few canisters, they only cost a few bob.
    Saves hassle all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

C3PO wrote: »
    Never carry a pump - road or mountain-bike! Two tubes and three CO2 canisters .... been ok so far .... famous last words!! :o
    I did the same, until I punctured on the way to a group spin. Carried on solo, but it felt like taking a chance a relatively short distance into the spin without group backup! Brought a new small mini pump as back up, and dropped one of the cannisters (i.e. 2 cannisters, two tubes, mini pump).

Advertisement