Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

97 Zx6-r..... reliable?????

• 10-04-2017 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Thinking of buying a clean looking 97 Zx6-r but Don't know a huge amount about bikes mechanically and was hoping someone with more knowledge could tell me of the pros, cons or common/possible faults (if any) of this jammer.

It's a uk import that's been garaged for last 4 or 5 years. It's all standard (which is a plus in my mind) except for aftermarket exhaust. It's got new rear rubber & new battery. Starts sweet and sounds good.

Any info would be appreciated before I part with cash.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Has it been registered..??

Does it have a V5..?

Can you see the frame number .?

Dont be fooled by the clean looks..it might be a ringer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

As regards reliability, yes it should reliable if it was properly maintained in its early life.

These are not terribly stressed engines and tend to last well.

Things to look out for are exhaust valve clearances, as they tend to tighten up.

Cam chains can be noisy, check and see if it whines or rattles on start up.

The calipers can corrode too, so make sure the pistons are all moving easily.

Check front discs for warps or run out.

Tbh if you aren't mechanically inclined i wouldn't be too quick to buy a performance bike like that, at that age etc.

Half the people on this forum me included will say buy it because we could fix most things wrong with it , however if there is stuff wrong with it whether it's a 1997 or a 2017 it's gona cost money to fix. If it has issues and you can't fix it you could end up losing your bollock on it and on a bike that age that could easily be more than it cost you

Straight off, check if it's been serviced regularly and If it hasn't had the valves done it will probably need them done and your talking minimum 300+ for that

Advertisement