Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle transfer from Galway to Dublin

Options
  • 10-04-2017 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Folks,

Quick question regarding bike transfers within Ireland.

Myself and some friends will be cycling from Dublin to Galway in May. The plan is to do it over 2 days with a stop off in Athlone, however we dont fancy cycling back again.

We have checked with the usual transport companies and all of them will take a bike, however they cannot guarantee it. Irish rail can only take a max of 4 per train. Bus Eireann, Aircoach and Citilink will all take a bike but only if there is room.

While there will only be 4 of us, we cant be sure that we will all be able to get the bike onto the bus/train and we dont want to be stranded.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Are there private bus companies that would transfer us and the bikes?

Any hints or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Bob
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If you're travelling back outside of rush hours, you'll likely get all 4 bikes on the train. There are two bike racks, a third concealed in a locker and you'll probably get the fourth on somehow. Talk to the chap on the platform ahead of time.

Alternatively, there are very frequent private bus services also. If you have to, you'll fit bikes in a smaller space by taking off wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it might be better to takes the bikes to Galway and cycle back - you're more likely to have the wind behind you in that direction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've brought the bike to athlone to dublin many times. No issue.

The cycle from Athlone is much easier than to Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BobBelcher

Cheers lads,

I think we'll most likely take a punt on the train, no harm if we have to split up onto separate modes of transport either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

godtabh wrote: »
    I've brought the bike to athlone to dublin many times. No issue.

The cycle from Athlone is much easier than to Athlone.

not when i do it :mad:

only once have i had a tailwind of any sort coming back!

• Advertisement
Advertisement