Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove Install

Options
  • 10-04-2017 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Can anybody recommend a business who will install a stove?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I am in the same position, looking for recommendations for buying /installing stoves at the moment.

Any advice / pointers would be welcome :)

sent you a PM

Could you send it to me as well , I'd appreciate the recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Timbo1987

sent you a PM

I also would like the info please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Would also like a PM, looking to get a free standing stove installed into a new house in a couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Why not post the recommendation publicly? People are quick enough to post about problems with companies...why not post a good report.

Unless of course the PM sent was a case of "avoid these guys like the plague". Guess i am assuming it was a good PM :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

OK, well I wasn't sure how the guy would like his name on a public boards, he's busy all the time anyway. He did a great job for us, his accent makes phone calls a bit difficult but his work was top notch.

Tadgh O'Driscoll 086 2738147.

@Barr FYI: you need to clear out your inbox, I can't send you an email until you clear up some space.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Safety note.

It is a legal requirement (building regulations) to have two carbon monoxide alarms in the house.
    One in the room where the appilance is, and one on the landing outside bedrooms.
    Stove installer can't leave house without them fitted, either supplied by himself or householder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Tom44 wrote: »
    Safety note.

It is a legal requirement (building regulations) to have two carbon monoxide alarms in the house.
    One in the room where the appilance is, and one on the landing outside bedrooms.
    Stove installer can't leave house without them fitted, either supplied by himself or householder.
    I had a carbon monoxide alarm fitted a few months ago but had to take it down yesterday cos it was faulty. The thing kept on beeping, I changed the battery but it kept happening and it was giving me head aches!

.red. wrote: »
    I had a carbon monoxide alarm fitted a few months ago but had to take it down yesterday cos it was faulty. The thing kept on beeping, I changed the battery but it kept happening and it was giving me head aches!

Not funny
    If you lost your sister, as I did 19 years ago, you'd realise that.
    Look up boards.ie "carbon monoxide death (my sister)"
    And you'll find it under my old name Scudo2

Or

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/573321/257468.docx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Not funny
    If you lost your sister, as I did 19 years ago, you'd realise that.
    Look up boards.ie "carbon monoxide death (my sister)"
    And you'll find it under my old name Scudo2

Or

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/573321/257468.docx

Fair enough, sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

we're moving into a house with a stove at the back in the conservatory. there doesn't seem to be any carbon monoxide alarms around the house so that'll be one of the first things on my list.

do stoves need to be serviced/tested like gas boilers? never had one in any place we've lived.

bungaro79 wrote: »
    we're moving into a house with a stove at the back in the conservatory. there doesn't seem to be any carbon monoxide alarms around the house so that'll be one of the first things on my list.

do stoves need to be serviced/tested like gas boilers? never had one in any place we've lived.

Common sense and alarm is all you normally require.
    No cracks in the flue joints.
    No downdrafts and smoke in the room.
    No stinging eyes.
    Regular chimney cleaning.

It can smoke a bit into the room when you open the door to feed it, but common sense is the major life saver.

There should be an air vent in the room to allow oxygen in for the fuel to burn.
    House's are to air tight these days with sealed pvc doors & windows.

Don't get me wrong on stoves, their great, I have one.
    But I also have alarms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Common sense and alarm is all you normally require.
    No cracks in the flue joints.
    No downdrafts and smoke in the room.
    No stinging eyes.
    Regular chimney cleaning.

It can smoke a bit into the room when you open the door to feed it, but common sense is the major life saver.

There should be an air vent in the room to allow oxygen in for the fuel to burn.
    House's are to air tight these days with sealed pvc doors & windows.

Don't get me wrong on stoves, their great, I have one.

never lived in a place with a stove tom so how regularly would you clean it?? and is this a diy job??

and the stove is in a conservatory off the kitchen (its in an L shaped room overall, no door inbetween). there is only a small trickle vent in this room, is this something i should look into upgrading??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Tom44 wrote:

Where did you mount them? Isn't carbon monoxide heavier than air? Open to correction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

bungaro79 wrote: »
    never lived in a place with a stove tom so how regularly would you clean it?? and is this a diy job??

Depends on what you burn in it. We exclusively burn wood and as a result there is relatively little soot buildup. I get the chimney cleaned once a year (or two years). Guy did a great job, no mess. He's based in Youghal (can't remember the name at the moment)

Where did you mount them? Isn't carbon monoxide heavier than air? Open to correction here.

No it's not. The alarm with got recommended installation about 1m away from stove and about half way between floor and ceiling.

OK, well I wasn't sure how the guy would like his name on a public boards, he's busy all the time anyway. He did a great job for us, his accent makes phone calls a bit difficult but his work was top notch.

Tadgh O'Driscoll 086 2738147.

@Barr FYI: you need to clear out your inbox, I can't send you an email until you clear up some space.

Thanks , didn't realise my inbox was full :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

mordeith wrote:
    No it's not. The alarm with got recommended installation about 1m away from stove and about half way between floor and ceiling.

Just been reading up on it there. You're right, it's not heavier than air it has a 3% less density than air making it lighter. I worked on oil extraction projects in the North Sea at the turn of the millennium and all carbon monoxide sensors were installed at ground level.
    There must be a chemical formula unique to crude oil that differs from household burning only I can't find it.

Unless they realised they were in fact wrong too.

Just been reading up on it there. You're right, it's not heavier than air it has a 3% less density than air making it lighter. I worked on oil extraction projects in the North Sea at the turn of the millennium and all carbon monoxide sensors were installed at ground level.
    There must be a chemical formula unique to crude oil that differs from household burning only I can't find it.

Unless they realised they were in fact wrong too.

Yeah, possibly the particles from crude are heavier than from burning domestic fuel(s)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement