Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood cladding for a shop fascia

Options
  • 10-04-2017 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Wooden shop fascias have become quite popular in the last few years - it gives this rustic, shabby, or industrial feel that is quite popular.

https://goo.gl/images/1H5Q4v

I'm looking to find out what timber would suit best for creating one. I have looked into tongue and groove pressure treated timber (similar to shed building timber). I'm wondering how it will fair out against warping etc?

Are there any other species you would recommend for this? It needs to be long lasting and warp as little as possible.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Iroko or cedar would be good for outdoor use , the wood in the picture is iroko and is readily available in t&g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yes, Iroko is the most suitable timber for outdoor use. Cedar is available but I believe more expensive. Not too sure about shabby chic - traditional shopfronts were always meant to be painted and were made from 'red deal' ( Scots Pine ) which is hard to come by these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Iroko or cedar would be good for outdoor use , the wood in the picture is iroko and is readily available in t&g

Thanks for this info, appreciate it.

The iroko looks great from a durability point of view. There is a nice architectural finish off it. Hopefully they will like this and not want a more rustic finish.

(unless anyone has some ideas on how to distress a wood like this?)

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If you want a durable rustic look , use oak without any finish, it will turn a silver/grey colour over time

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ralc

Has anybody here got experience of burnt or charred cladding called Shou Sugi Ban. I'm looking for a natural wood for cladding that I don't want to go dull grey. Options at the moment seem to be Accoya and Burnt or charred Siberian Larch also know as Sho sugi ban.

Thanks
    Ralph

• Advertisement
Advertisement