Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax problem

Options
  • 10-04-2017 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I got back from Canada back in November. I had been there since 2013 on the IEC. I started my final Canadian job in February of last year. I started on a week long trial (paid), and at the end of the week had a review with the boss.

It came out that my visa would be out in 2016. He was sympathetic, he was an immigrant himself, but said that he couldn't give me a full-time job with T4 and benefits, but I could take it as an independent contractor. There was no way he could offer me full-time work, knowing my visa would be out before 12 months. I took the offer, reasoning "hey, money!" and that I could look elsewhere as needed.

I wasn't able to secure full-time T4 work. I was with them on a per-project basis, which was extremely steady (I was there three weeks each month, often more), but since it was "hey, can you do this?" the individual pay wasn't great. Altogether, I earned a little over 8 grand between February and August, when my visa ran out. My rent over that same period was 6 grand. Not a lot to put aside for tax day.

Anyway, after leaving, I did a bit of traveling around, went to England for a month or so to see family, then Christmas, then my dad was hospitalised. I only just got around to doing my taxes yesterday, when I found out I had to submit them physically, rather than by online, which was how I had always done them.

I've got my invoices here in front of me, a full list of deductions, which saved me big time last time around, including rent and transit. I'm just at a loss for how to proceed. Is there any way around the physical submission? What form should I be filling in? Is there anything I'm missing?

Advertisement