Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remotely Accessing another PC in my house on eir network

Options
  • 10-04-2017 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a number of computers in my house, running Linux and Windows.  I have 3 questions:

1.  Am I able to access these local computers remotely over the eir network?
    2.  If the computer I am trying to access is connected to the internet by a different service provider than eir, can I still access it using the pc using eir?
    3.  If the computer I am trying to access is connected to the internet by eir, can I access this machine using a pc using a different service provider?

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi 5rtytry56, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us today.

I have queried this with the relevant department and once they get back to me I will then touch base with you.

Thanks,
    Leanne. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Leanne, 

Noted.

Hi 5rtytry56,

Apologies for the slight delay in reply. 

Remote access can be arranged regardless of what ISPs ( Internet Service Provider ) are being used. However, the number of computers you have in your home need to be setup to allow remote access. 

Thanks, 
    Leanne.

OK.

Will TightVncserver work these computers with the eir connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    OK.  

Yes, it should do... you will need to forward ports on the router to each ccomputer you wish to access. Depending on the router, you may also need to set static leases or static addresses on the computers. 
    Doing this will expose your computers to the internet. If there are any vulnerabilities in TightVNC (and there surely are), this opens you to attack. Windows Remote Desktop (assuming you are using Windows) might be a better solution. If it was me, I would use OpenVPN to secure the inbound connection rather than exposing computers to the internet directly.

• Advertisement

OK.  

HiWill TightVncserver work these computers with the eir connection?
    Hi 5rtytry56,

Unfortunately, we would not know what settings would need to be applied. The best option would be if you contact the third party provider of that tool.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks, 
    Leanne

Leanne and gerryk, thank you both  for your official and enthusiast responses!

Leanne and gerryk, thank you both  for your official and enthusiast responses!
    No problem 5rtytry56:D

Please feel free to get back in touch if you have any further queries.

Thanks,
    Leanne. 

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

OK.  

You'll need to forward a port on the modem to the appropriate port on the intended target machine. TightVNC like many VNC clones uses 5900, but don't use that port externally, it'll just attract port scanners/brute force attacks. So forward another port 5910 or the like 5900 on the machines internal IP. And make sure some form of authentication is in place, e.g. strong password, ACL or the like.

Advertisement