Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router suggestions

Options
  • 10-04-2017 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

I am with Imagine and happy enough with their router. However it misses one important feature which is data usage monitoring and with a 20GB daily cap I need to be more in control.

So I am looking for a new router, but am utterly confused what to get. Some of the TP-Link routers come with usage monitoring or this could be achieved with a DD-WRT add-on.

What I am not sure of is what kind of specs I need though...

Set-up will be as follows.. I will plug an ethernet cable from Imagine router to WAN port on new router and switch off wifi on the imagine router.

I live reasonably remotely so not a lot of interference from other wifi networks (although from time to time I can see my neighbours wifi network in the list)
    It is a dormer bungalow with a footprint of roughly 20x10m, router would be placed downstairs more or less in the middle of the house. Internal walls are concrete blocks downstairs and plasterboard upstairs.

Most of internet usage is going through netflix on smart tv and fire sticks. I have a Plex server but stream movies at most 1080p, more often 720 though. (700Mb/hr roughly). I don't have 4K TV, nor will I get one in the next 3 years

I am in the amber area of the NBP so fibre to the house will not be a concern for at least the next 3 years or so.

I would like to have the best possible router for this scenario, but at the same time not pay for features that are not relevant to me. I run a family, not a corporation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Same as normal, c7/c8/c9 would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

ED E wrote: »
    Same as normal, c7/c8/c9 would be fine.

That is what I was thinking, but just wondering if they would be too rich for what I actually need.
    At least these should be short term future proof.

Thanks

If you don't care about LAN-LAN wifi performance get a WNDR3XXX from netgear for cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

OK, will have a look at that one as well.. One more question, Can I use any router as access point ? Or can I just use "cable" or just "DSL" routers ? Like I said I am intending to plug an ethernet cable from the imagine router to the new router- in the WAN port.

Can I use any router as access point

You do not want an access point. Traffic counters work on the WAN so an AP setup will count 0.

A "cable" router is what you want. Some DSL routers are dual (Eth WAN and DSL WAN) but you're paying for a modem you wont use so pointless to buy one of those unless its discounted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement