Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neither landlord or tenant maintaining gardens

Options
  • 10-04-2017 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

A house near us is rented. Gardens haven't seen a blade in over 3 years.

Frustrating thing is that we contacted the RTB for advice but said there was no legislation covering it and to contact Threshold. Threshold told us it constitutes anti-social behaviour and to contact the RTB!

However, it would appear it is covered under legislation:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

What is the best approach? Write to both, asking the issue to be addressed, and if it isn't within a reasonable time, then lodge a Third Party Dispute with the RTB?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Best approach is probably ignore it and get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Or get the mower out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Write to RTB using there online application form which must be posted so printed off.

Apply for LL details and write in space provided your complaints.

They will forward on the LL details and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is it a health hazard, does the growth attract rats etc?

If so contact environmental health in the local council.

Otherwise, build a bridge ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Long grass isn't a health hazard .. some would say that it's healthy for wild flowers and the little insects and bees that are attracted to them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

As it's a rented property there are obligations for the tenant and if they fail to meet those obligations it is up to the landlord to enforce them.

Take a third-party case to the RTB. People need to realise their behaviour affects others enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

Have you knocked on their door and suggested that they mow their lawn? Do they have a lawn mower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Golfwidow wrote: »
    Have you knocked on their door and suggested that they mow their lawn? Do they have a lawn mower?

Yes. At last, someone stating the obvious. This is what you should do OP. Knock, be nice. Have a discussion. Maybe say your lawn looks like it could do with a trim, do you have a lawnmower? If they don't ask if they'd like to borrow yours or advise them that the LL should provide one. Be neighbourly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Vegetation doesn't attract rats. Food waste does.

This happened in the house next door to me, where the garden wall, shed etc also needed a bit of paint. When I finished painting my own wall etc I rang the owner, asked if they wouldn't mind if I went in (and the tenant, with whom I was friendly, was fine with it) and used the rest of my paint etc tidying her garden.

She was delighted (why wouldn't she be). I was delighted as I was getting rid of an awful eyesore, getting more exercise while helping out a nice neighbour who was being gouged by <mod snip> landlord, getting rid of my leftover paint for free and increasing the value of my own house, which I was putting on the market the following month. It took me at most 5 hours. A tiny but respectful thing to do for your tenant (I was the landlord of the house next door). The meanness of so many landlords never fails to astound. Reputations last a long time in our very small society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gizmo81 wrote: »
    As it's a rented property there are obligations for the tenant and if they fail to meet those obligations it is up to the landlord to enforce them.

Take a third-party case to the RTB. People need to realise their behaviour affects others enjoyment.

Where does anything say theres an obligation to keep lawns manicured?

You're welcome.
    Details of minimum standards

General
    For each apartment, flat or house being rented as a separate unit, the landlord must ensure that the rental property is in a proper state of structural repair. The Regulations require the landlord to maintain the property in a sound state, inside and out. They specify that roofs, roofing tiles, slates, windows, floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, doors, skirting boards, fascias, tiles on any floor, ceiling and wall, gutters, down pipes, fittings, furnishings, gardens and common areas must be maintained in good condition and repair. They must not be defective due to dampness or otherwise.

The landlord must ensure that electricity or gas supplies are safe and in good repair, and that every room has adequate ventilation and both natural and artificial lighting.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Why do people love resorting to authorities. Knock in and speak to the tenant first, be nice. If i got a letter of a narky neighbour that took the route of going to authorities before speaking face to face i wouldnt mawn the lawn out of spite

If its not a house next door to you on either side then why are you even getting involved and only then really is it an issue if you are selling and don't want a potential buyer thinking they live next to a slob.

People like to take pride in the area they live in, they like to have a nice view from their property. I don't think that's unreasonable.
    If its not a house next door to you on either side then why are you even getting involved and only then really is it an issue if you are selling and don't want a potential buyer thinking they live next to a slob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Mow the garden if its that much of an issue for you. Loads of people around my area who have rented houses next door just regularly mow both gardens. Weekend just gone I did the weeds along everybody's kerbs. Did my own and just carried on down the line.

Its ok to have pride of place but realise that not everybody shares your standards so if you want those standards met you sometimes have to just do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Just to follow up on this.

It is the house straight opposite ours. I (and other neighbours) had asked the landlord and tenant (who don't have a good relationship) over the last 3 years to address the maintenance of the property. One blames the other and vice versa.

A letter to both, highlighting the landlord has a legal obligation to maintain the exterior of the property (including gardens) and requesting them to sort it out between them worked. FWIW landlord has stipulated in the lease that the tenant must maintain the gardens but has not provided any tools to do so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok - problem solved.

For future reference- a landlord is obliged to maintain the interior and the exterior of a property- he/she may make the maintenance a condition in the lease- by all means- however, even if he/she does- it does not absolve them of their legal obligation. If the tenant subsequently doesn't keep their side of the deal- it is still the landlord's legal obligation to ensure it is done.

If a landlord fails or neglects their obligation- anyone (a member of the public- or anyone else)- can approach the council/local authority with a complaint- and the council/local authority will then chase the landlord.

Regardless of the lease a landlord cannot contract out of his/her responsibilities in law- they are legally responsible- they can assign the task to undertake their duty elsewhere- such as via the lease to the tenant- but they remain legally responsible to ensure it is done.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement