Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do alll newsreaders insist on saying "So-called Islamic State"

• 10-04-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I have become quite irritated by the very inflexible and formulaic way TV and radio newsreaders nearly always refer to ISIS/Islamic State as "so-called Islamic State."

The World and his wife are perfectly aware that Islamic State is not a recognised country, so there is no informational need whatever for news broadcasters to insist, as they clearly do, on always using this form of words.

I therefore find it difficult to resist the suspicion that news broadcasters have succumbed to political pressure to use that phrase at all times.

Do people agree that my suspicions are reasonable, even if not proven?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Anyone???

Anyone???

Many people get their knowledge of the real world from the news and media. Islamic state call themselves the Islamic State. Thats why they are referred to as the so-called islamic state.
    The World and his wife are perfectly aware that Islamic State is not a recognised country

You should watch that video on youtube where they ask americans to place different countries on a map of the world. The world and his wife can just about differentiate their arse from their elbow. The media has a certain duty of care to present facts as best as it can. Referring to ISIS as "The Islamic State" would be incorrect.
    I therefore find it difficult to resist the suspicion that news broadcasters have succumbed to political pressure to use that phrase at all times.

Do people agree that my suspicions are reasonable, even if not proven?

Political pressure? Dafuq? No I don't think your suspicions are reasonable. I think they are a bit bizarre to be honest.

So the answer is that the news organisations regard viewers/listeners as being so thick and ignorant that it has to be spelled out every time?

If so, they are not only patronising, they are very, very controlled.

I think it is worrying that they use the same form of words every time. It suggests that they have been instructed from on high to use exactly that phrase, and may even be disciplined if they fail to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

It's because they are not an Islamic state, just a murderous gang/militia that goes around capturing cities in the region and enslaving their populations. If the UVF had styled themselves, "Protectors of Irish Freedom", couldn't you see why RTE might refuse to refer to them by that propagandistic untruth? Stylistically, though, it may be annoyingly repetitive now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

"So called" because the aren't recognised as a state by anyone but themselves.

No one calls them a "so called" shower of cúnts:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I'm sure back on the old days we were once called the "so-called Irish republic" .

Regarding RTE, this is what I strongly suspect but cannot prove:

All newsreaders are under strict instructions to use the phrase "so-called Islamic state".

Any newsreader who simply says "Islamic state" is likely to be reprimanded.

The reasons behind such an instruction are political and come from a high level of management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It's because they are not an Islamic state, just a murderous gang/militia that goes around capturing cities in the region and enslaving their populations. If the UVF had styled themselves, "Protectors of Irish Freedom", couldn't you see why RTE might refuse to refer to them by that propagandistic untruth? Stylistically, though, it may be annoyingly repetitive now.

No one said "so called Irish Republican Army", "so-called Irish National Liberation Army"
    not an Islamic state just a murderous gang/militia that goes around capturing cities in the region and enslaving their populations

Exactly as Muhammad did. And Ali and Umar and all the great leaders of Islam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Allinall

Regarding RTE, this is what I strongly suspect but cannot prove:

All newsreaders are under strict instructions to use the phrase "so-called Islamic state".

Any newsreader who simply says "Islamic state" is likely to be reprimanded.

The reasons behind such an instruction are political and come from a high level of management.

What do you think is the motive behind these so called instructions from politicians?

I did not say the instructions were from politicians, but I do think that their motivation is political.

The thinking behind it is to underpin the legitimacy of official governments, both individually and collectively. It is not about democracy of course, because you do not hear "so-called" being applied to China, for example.

This example shows that news media feel compelled (or willing) to endorse establishment definitions of legitimacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

The BBC has a policy of using "so-called Islamic State" for the reason stated in post #6 but that rule only came in after pressure from the government there.

I don't know if RTE has a similar policy but I do know that there is no such policy in most of the independent sector, I myself used just "Islamic State" this morning.

Good letter (not from me) in today's Irish Times:

Sir, – How long more must RT? persist in putting the words “so-called” before the title Islamic State? The words “so-called” are never put before such misnomers as the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Lord’s Resistance Army or even Irish Republican Army, which are arguably even bigger misapplications of terms than Islamic State. Most news outlets do not use the words “so-called” because that is what the entity concerned calls itself. – Yours, etc,
    PAUL WILLIAMS,
    Kilkee, Co Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Saw your letter. What do newsreaders from Communicorp and TV3 say, how do newspapers put it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I always think it sounds a bit passive aggressive. Its not like they ever said the "so called Irish Republican Army", it would almost have been funny though if they had done visual air quotes when saying it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Still no letup. Every RTE journalist, without exception, is using the "so-called" prefix every time IS is mentioned.

It is beyond dispute now that they are under firm instructions to do this.

If anyone knows any RTE news insiders, it would be a good idea to ask them about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Still no letup. Every RTE journalist, without exception, is using the "so-called" prefix every time IS is mentioned.

If anyone knows any RTE news insiders, it would be a good idea to ask them about this.

A BBC news producer explains his rationale for using it here. Basically it's to emphasise that they are not legitimate and an untruthful name. I'd imagine RTE are merely choosing to mirror bbc.

https://www.quora.com/What-logic-is-behind-some-news-outlets-referring-to-ISIS-as-the-so-called-Islamic-State/answer/David-Waddell

Very interesting indeed.

So to paraphrase that newsreader, the reasons are

(1) to avoid offending mainstream Islam, and
    (2) to endorse the prevailing diplomatic consensus.

That means that these are political considerations, not considerations of accuracy or of providing an information service to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Very interesting indeed.

That means that these are political considerations, not considerations of accuracy or of providing an information service to the public.

Can they not be both political considerations and informative.

You're like a dog with a bone. But, thanks for your 'so called' view point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Very interesting indeed.

There's nothing inaccurate about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Every media organisation of scale has a style guide

• Advertisement

Yes, but is this a style guide, or is it something the newsreaders are under orders to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It's a hell of a lot shorter than repeating "the terrorist organisation calling themselves the Islamic State, not to be confused with a real state..." each time.

Islamic State would be OK. Everyone knows what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Islamic State would be OK. Everyone knows what it is.

You can't assume that. There are people out there who only catch 5 seconds of the news every 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is this some sort of mad conspiracy? It's a house style. As clearly pointed out it's undermining the fact it's not a recognised state nor is it representative of the religion. I'm sure if some right wing paramilitary Catholic group suddenly took over larges swathes of Ireland and established a self proclaimed Catholic state enforced by military power it would be referred to as the so-called Catholic State too.

Organisations like RTE and BBC have much stricter house styles than independent news. The insistence on using the 'so-called' is a part of that, in the same way that you'll hear every RTE reader pronouncing the word 'issues' as 'iss-sues' because a) that is technically correct despite the fact noone actually pronounces it like that and b) it's their house style to be as perfectly correct as possible.

There's no grand conspiracy here I'm afraid, and there's certainly no element of RTE being 'told' what to say. People really look into these things far too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, but is this a style guide, or is it something the newsreaders are under orders to do?

There is no way to differentiate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I don't care as long as they don't say "Daesh".
    Sets my teeth on edge.

Advertisement