Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passenger removed from United Airlines flight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Venom wrote: »
    Make their staff members wait for the next flight :rolleyes:

Is this true?
    Because if it is, surely they haven't a leg to stand on.
    Why would the flight of their staff be more important than a paying customer?
    Not normally a fan of compo culture, but I hope he sues for the price of the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Quazzie wrote: »
    Check the fine print on the contract he agreed to. It clearly states he can be removed at the discretion of the airline he was, so his legal right to be there was gone. No different than a bouncer throwing someone out of a night club

Can you link to those contract terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I read that one of the cops involved has been suspended while they investigate.

Amazingly awful behaviour. And it wasn't "overbooking" was it? The airline claim it was to move a flight crew to another location, thats not overbooking, that's incompetent organisation.

It's an "Airline", they should have the logistics of transporting people around figured put by now without beating the crap out of their own passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Is this true?
    Not normally a fan of compo culture, but I hope he sues for the price of the plane.

Because that flight might have been the only plane to get that crew into position for the next day. Crew not on site, a plane doesn't fly which means a plane full of people get screwed around with delays which then has a knock on affect to other flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is this true?

Because the staff have to be at certain places to make the airline work, if they're not then customers suffer. However the cock up here is the seats for the crew weren't allocated until the flight was full and boarded.

The seats should have been allocated way before customer even checked in and passengers advised the flight was full (why you should check in early!). At the very worst, they should have been denied boarding at the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Because that flight might have been the only plane to get that crew into position for the next day. Crew not on site, a plane doesn't fly which means a plane full of people get screwed around with delays which then has a knock on affect to other flights.

If it was that urgent, Chicago to Louisville is a 4.5 hour drive. I looked it up on Google Earth. About 300 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If he left when asked, and didn't resist then there would've been no force required. He got what he deserved.

**** me, there's always one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If he left when asked, and didn't resist then there would've been no force required. He got what he deserved.

You might be happy enough to give in to the random demands of others after you've paid for a service but thank fcuk there are still people with backbones.

He got what he deserves alright. United look like incompetent fools here. The police involved look like thugs and there's probably a few million dollars heading the man's way.

pablo128 wrote: »
    If it was that urgent, Chicago to Louisville is a 4.5 hour drive. I looked it up on Google Earth. About 300 miles.

*Shrugs* tell it to the airline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What's the alternative in an over booked situation if no one wants to get off voluntarily?

They shouldn't be allowed to overbook either, FFS. If a plane has 230 available seats, an airline shouldn't be allowed to sell more than 230 tickets for it. This isn't rocket science.

• Advertisement

Because the staff have to be at certain places to make the airline work, if they're not then customers suffer. However the cock up here is the seats for the crew weren't allocated until the flight was full and boarded.

The seats should have been allocated way before customer even checked in and passengers advised the flight was full (why you should check in early!). At the very worst, they should have been denied boarding at the gate.

Its quite common in american airports for the airline to ask for volunteers at the boarding gate to get bumped, you usually get hotel (if its overnight) paid for and the price of the flight.

But its not common at all to ask when passengers are boarded, that's crazy. If it was overbooked why don't they just refund the passenger who hasn't been seated yet. But no, it wasnt overbooked at all it was an organisational screw up by united.

The lawyers are going to clean up. And I hope that doctor does too, his face is all over US news today being dragged out by his feet and united will pay dearly.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    united will pay dearly.

How are united responsible for how the guards/police treated the man?

They're responsible for choosing to sell more tickets than they had places available. Legal or not, it's an immoral, asinine and moronic practise which was bound to lead to bullsh!t like this sooner or later.

For allowing such a situation to arise in the first place

They're the ones that called police to have a man removed from their plane after a fcuk up that they made.

They were acting on behalf of united.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

milehip wrote: »
    Wonder what sort of a doctor he is,not gonna carry as much weight if he's a chiropractor.

1200$, hotel room and a flight the next day  I'd been off that plane so fast, can't believe there was no takers.
    Doesn't matter what job this man has. He is a human being who paid for that seat, boarded and was waiting to take off. I've seen numerous posts relating to his job, but if he is a brain surgeon or a bin man, who cares? An innocent man does NOT deserve this. Absolute disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Your contrarian schtick gets old fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,747 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I would imagine they are trying to settle already. Think of a number Doc and enjoy it.
    A corporation too arrogant to care about it's customers becomes a danger to it's customers sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Making bookings non-refundable would be a far better alternative which wouldn't result in the possibility of legitimate passengers being inconvenienced, the avoidance of which should be the paramount concern in this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

My word. Where do you start with this one.

Plane Over Booked.

Staff taking prioirty over paying customers. Not just one or two staff members but four.

The Police in the US really don't do themselves any favours. Giving out a hiding to elderly gentleman.

The airlines CEO, using buzz words like this is nothing, 're-accommadating' and 'reaching out', would you phek off.

Then the 'small print', can't wait to see that tested in court for this case. I'd hazard a guess that this 're-accommadating' will be quickly ended by other airlines.

Guy was in his rights to be there. They let him on and when it didn't suit there agenda they wanted him off like a he was a piece of **** on the side of the street.

Any company worth there salt would have seen where this was gonna and called off the nuclear strike option and got on with what they should be doing.

Idiots, deserve the **** storm that is about to hit.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Your contrarian schtick gets old fast.

I never said the police weren't wrong, I never said the airlines wasn't wrong. I'm simply saying that at the end of the day the people who dragged the man out of the plane were not United employees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

TallGlass wrote: »
    My word. Where do you start with this one.

Plane Over Booked.

Staff taking prioirty over paying customers. Not just one or two staff members but four.

The Police in the US really don't do themselves any favours. Giving out a hiding to elderly gentleman.

The airlines CEO, using buzz words like this is nothing, 're-accommadating' and 'reaching out', would you phek off.

Then the 'small print', can't wait to see that tested in court for this case. I'd hazard a guess that this 're-accommadating' will be quickly ended by other airlines.

Guy was in his rights to be there. They let him on and when it didn't suit there agenda they wanted him off like a he was a piece of **** on the side of the street.

Any company worth there salt would have seen where this was gonna and called off the nuclear strike option and got on with what they should be doing.

Idiots, deserve the **** storm that is about to hit.

It's the second PR disaster in a month for them.....

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/28/how-two-teens-in-leggings-became-a-pr-mess-for-united-airlines.html

Good job the doctor's wife wasn't wearing leggings as god knows what might of happened then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I never said the police weren't wrong, I never said the airlines wasn't wrong. I'm simply saying that at the end of the day the people who dragged the man out of the plane were not United employees.

But they were acting on their behalf and on their instructions.

• Advertisement

But they were acting on their behalf and on their instructions.

And? Surely United turns around and says sue the police/airport security firm?

Yeah, that'll hold up in court

Why are you trying to apportion blame to any one organisation when a few of them seem culpable?

I've done it myself, but I'd still regard not inconveniencing legitimate passengers as the highest priority, above disgruntling people who book flights and then decide not to take them for one reason or another.

There are many ways to resolve this issue and maintain the principle that once you book and pay for a flight at a particular time and to a particular place, unless there's an issue with the flight itself or with your behaviour, you should be guaranteed that service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Sarcasm? Trolling? or Clueless?

• Advertisement

Yeah, that'll hold up in court

Why are you trying to apportion blame to any one organisation when a few of them seem culpable?

Will it? Do you know better? I'm simply asking the question. Everyone shouting United will pay dearly and I'm just thinking, assuming (and it's an important assumption) they had the legal right to ask for him to be removed then how are they accountable for the standards of the police/security guards who are a wholly independant organisation and the only ones to call for in the situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Will it? Do you know better? I'm simply asking the question. Everyone shouting United will pay dearly and I'm just thinking, assuming (and it's an important assumption) they had the legal right to ask for him to be removed then how are they accountable for the standards of the police/security guards who are a wholly independant organisation and the only ones to call for in the situation?

United baggage handlers broke a musicians guitar, United refused to pay for a new. The subsequent song the musician wrote is credited with wiping out 10% of United's share value. That was a guitar, what do you think this issue is going to cost in lost business even before the Doctor seeks redress.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    United baggage handlers broke a musicians guitar, United refused to pay for a new. The subsequent song the musician wrote is credited with wiping out 10% of United's share value. That was a guitar, what do you think this issue is going to cost in lost business even before the Doctor seeks redress.

Incredibly catchy song it was too.

Oh for sure but in terms of 'he will sue' I'm just not seeing how it would stand up in court but then I ain't no solicitor.

Oh for sure but in terms of 'he will sue' I'm just not seeing how it would stand up in court but then I ain't no solicitor.

He was a passenger on a plane, the crew demanded he be removed. He was assaulted whilst being removed. The security/police were acting under a request from the aircraft's crew. Both are in the sticky brown stuff.

He was a passenger on a plane, the crew demanded he be removed. He was assaulted whilst being removed. The security/police were acting under a request from the aircraft's crew. Both are in the sticky brown stuff.

So if I call the police becauuuse say someone is lurking in my garden and they arrive and illegally beat the crap out of the person I can be held accountable for it?

So if I call the police becauuuse say someone is lurking in my garden and they arrive and illegally beat the crap out of the person I can be held accountable for it?

They wouldn't be lurking after you've sold them a spot in your silly garden

So you're equating a paying airline passenger with a uninvited lurker in your garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

Multiple threads on this at the top of reddit. I find it absolutely shocking.

Back around 2007/2008 I was applying for the Diversity Visa to get a green card to the US.

Now a few years older and possibly wiser it would be one of the last places I'd like to live in.

I know these are isolated incidents in general, but videos like this and many others showing police actions have put me off that country completely.

While we all pi$$ and whinge about Ireland there are far worse places in the world. Certainly far worse places to bring up children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

I don't know and I'm guessing you don't either. But there will be dozens of sh!t hot lawyers licking their lips over this in the US and I'm pretty sure they will find a way.

They wouldn't be lurking after you've sold them a spot in your silly garden

So because he's a paying customer United then become legally responsible for the actions of the police?

I don't advocate not being able to re-sell seats at short notice if passengers don't show up, I just advocate not being able to kick people off a flight / deny them entrance to a flight that they have paid money for, after that fact, because you sold more tickets than the plane's capacity allows.

Last summer I had to cancel a flight due to a serious family health-related situation. I'd 100% advocate not being refunded for it if the alternative was the possibility that I'd have been denied entry to the flight upon arriving at the airport because somebody else hadn't cancelled their flight.

So because he's a paying customer United then become legally responsible for the actions of the police?

You are deliberately missing the point that both United and the security/police are responsible for what happened to the Doctor and any good lawyer will be able to fleece both these entities for quite a few dollars.

So you're equating a paying airline passenger with a uninvited lurker in your garden.

My point being and I assumed this was obvious that once the police are involved how is the person who instigated the police presence legally held accountable for the actions of the police. I'm just scratching my head here.

You are deliberately missing the point that both United and the security/police are responsible for what happened to the Doctor and any good lawyer will be able to fleece both these entities for quite a few dollars.

I'm sure ultimately United will pay out simply from a PR perspective.

My point being and I assumed this was obvious that once the police are involved how is the person who instigated the police presence legally held accountable for the actions of the police. I'm just scratching my head here.

It goes to how the crew described the passenger to the police. As yet it has not been released as to what the police/security felt they were dealing with. They could have told the police he was abusive and disruptive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

razorblunt wrote: »
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/nation-now/2017/04/10/man-forcibly-removed-united-flight/100276054/

Last thread was closed, I've made this new based on feedback from a Mod to the OP.

From all accounts of other passengers they guy refused to move out of his seat after his name was drawn from a list of people to give up seats for United staff that were required to board a flight in Dallas the following morning.

A couple, having had their names drawn earlier, left when called, this guy insisted he needed to get to Dallas "to see patients" the next morning.

It seems he somehow got back on the flight after this video ended and ran down to the back of the plane.
    Thank God for Video Camera Phones show how Heavy Handed authority can be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement