Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Buy a new Processor

Options
  • 10-04-2017 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey

Looking to Upgrade my Processor, my one atm is about 4 years old and is the oldest thing in my rig atm. i feel its bringing my rig down in performance.

what i have is

Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
    16GB RAM
    Intel i5-2500k
    Good SSD and Monitors.

Im not sure whats best to get, if i need a new motherboard also?

budget is around 250-300 for the processor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2nd hand i7-3770/3770K for about €150 and job is done, no need for new board or ram. i5-2500K would get you back about €70-80 of that, so its a small cost.

Big improvement in games that make good use of increased cores (like Fallout 4, Battlefield 1, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dampas

2nd hand i7-3770/3770K for about €150 and job is done, no need for new board or ram. i5-2500K would get you back about €70-80 of that, so its a small cost.

Big improvement in games that make good use of increased cores (like Fallout 4, Battlefield 1, etc)

So I've bought the 3770k and physically put it into my pc, now my pc won't connect to my monitors, any advise? Did I need to do something before changing processors?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Looking at the cpu support list for your board your old cpu was supported on all bios revisions but you need version P2.10 for the new cpu so good chance you need to put the old cpu back in to update it first. Before you do that though I'd quickly check the other graphics output(s) as just maybe the bios settings have reset themselves and the signal is coming out of the onboard graphics now?

minitrue wrote: »
    Looking at the cpu support list for your board your old cpu was supported on all bios revisions but you need version P2.10 for the new cpu so good chance you need to put the old cpu back in to update it first. Before you do that though I'd quickly check the other graphics output(s) as just maybe the bios settings have reset themselves and the signal is coming out of the onboard graphics now?

Hey thanks for the help! I have my old proccssor in now and it's working fine! Finding it difficult to find what I need to upgrade from 1 to 2.1 bios

If you use a wired connection with DHCP you might well just he able to hit F2 as it boots to get into the board menus, go to the Advanced section and choose the Instant Flash DHCP option. If not you'll have to download the file (under the BIOS section on the prior link I gave) and save it to a usb stick (has to be fat formatted but 99% are still normally afaik) and choose the other option there which should find and show it and let you flash it. There's a quick guide if you click on the (i) on that page where you download it from.

• Advertisement

So I did that! Now it's says unacceptable bootable device after the windows loading screen. But it see's my SSD card and my old hard drive. I have had both processors in at this point.

EDIT

So after some troubleshooting it's my SSD which is windows 10 that isn't working, my old hard drive with windows 7 is working. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

#1 suspect is secure boot. If you turn it off on an install that has it on it will fail to boot like that. Not a feature in 7.

Sorry I didn't quite understand. Can you explain that again!? What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

Press F2 again and find the secure boot option and turn it on (setting was reset by the update probably)

Press F2 again and find the secure boot option and turn it on (setting was reset by the update probably)

So I can't find anything to do with secure boot option, I googled a bit at is said CSM can't find that either, is there another option? I'm still confused why it lets a normal harddrive work but not an SSD

• Advertisement

Looks like it doesn't have secure boot on that board so that shouldn't be the problem. I'll guess either changing the boot order or changing the sata mode might sort it out, doubt it's anything to do with hard drive Vs SSD.

I can't seem to find where to change the sata options? And changing the order just boots up the older hard drive, would started again on the SSD help or you think it's a setting that the mother isn't letting the SSD work

Advanced -> Storage Configuration -> SATA mode

Advanced -> Storage Configuration -> SATA mode

No joy, I think something weird happened the very first time I booted up! Windows 10 launched but took atleast 40 times longer than it should! Usually takes 15 seconds and I'm online! But it was acting like my old harddrive was trying to run Windows 10, maybe it got confused? And now won't run? The more I research the more I keep coming to reinstall windows :/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheogorath

Have you tried with the hdd not connected? Or checked the ssd when running windows 7 from the hdd?

Sheogorath wrote: »
    Have you tried with the hdd not connected? Or checked the ssd when running windows 7 from the hdd?

Yeah I've done both! SSD is not accessible when logged on win 7, and still doesn't boot when unplugged

When it comes to Windows I'm pretty useless and never surprised by the crazy things it can do! At least in theory all that should have been wrong was a board setting just needing set back the right way ... but ... that "40 times longer" sounds odd and perhaps it did go nuts and break itself when it saw something changed! You might be able to just repair it (I think a windows 10 install disk has an option for that) but as I said, windows is not my thing so I think I just better shut up now, sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Just to be clear...you have a W7 install on your HDD and a W10 install on your SSD, the HDD boots with the SSD also installed, but the SSD will not boot either on its own or with the HDD installed?

Just to be clear...you have a W7 install on your HDD and a W10 install on your SSD, the HDD boots with the SSD also installed, but the SSD will not boot either on its own or with the HDD installed?

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

think issue is you had dual boot system,so master boot record was created,now not quite sure is it stored on both drives or single,since its responsible to initializing boot sequence orders,and seems likely that either MBR got broken,or ssd doesnt contain it thus simply system cant pickup/find bootlader to initialize OS.

if thats the case new one needs to be created,not sure how its done now but in the past deleting old one would created new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Did you not say you got the W10 booting but taking ages to load?

So since changing sata ports the system is booting off the wrong drive?
    Have you gone into the BIOS and seen if you can change the boot priority of the HDDs installed? If that doesn't work swap the sata cables over at the board.

Advertisement