Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Times revamp missing features

• 10-04-2017 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Still getting used to Sunday Times revamp but have they stopped Jeremy Clarkson main newspaper article? The car Review is still in magazine as they use UK version but unless I am blind they have replaced Jeremy with Camilla & frankly I don't want to read her take on Pippa Middleton's wedding that is more in line with Style magazine or go out & buy Hello etc. I prefer to read JC politically incorrect & agree/disagree etc . I checked online last night & it appears to be in UK version but you have to subscribe. I hope they are not short changing their Irish Market.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

Hate the new version, including Liam Fay doing the tv in |The Culture rather than the english version.
    Plus the sports section this week had the same double page repeated (i.e page 4 and f5 and page 2 and 3 were the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

I think the Style magazine has got smaller as well. Also, I miss the old typeface in the Culture magazine and I hate the way the News Review section is now merged with main news section of the paper !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

cml387 wrote: »
    Plus the sports section this week had the same double page repeated (i.e page 4 and f5 and page 2 and 3 were the same).

Yea - that was a bad one!

But if you look close, the main pic on the right hand page(s) they have changed from one page to the next.

So there was a page change on 5/7 (whichever it was meant to be) and I'd say that's where the problem arose either in overwriting or something with naming conversions or a myriad of areas where this can happen!

I have to say, I don't do the culture bit, but the other half uses it throughout the week for the TV. My first port of call, after a brief perusal of the main section, was straight to the mag, and therein, straight to AA Gill.I knew the likelyhood of eating in that weeks reviewed eatery was close to nil - but his writing/turn of phrase was simply fantastic and caustic at times. Alas, I'm no longer motivated in that direction.

The Move section - voyeurism at this point!

I thought the GAA coverage was very good last week and would hope that would continue until September.

Granted it was very much focused on the Dubs (#blesses himself) as they are a strong contender this year. But it was insightful and had plenty of numbers to backup arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

The Sunday Timed sports section continues to be gaffe prone.

The first page of the Lions pullout section has an article by Peter O'Reilly, with a picture of Stephen Jones.

Page 11 has a piece about the Derry Tyrone game today with a large picture of a clash from last years game.

An inset box is headlined "Today's three key matchups" and features such luminaries of Ulster football as Davit Zirakashvilli, Sebastien Vahaamahina and Hayden Triggs.

????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

I think the more they try to 'localise' the Sunday times with Irish content by Irish 'opinion piece' 'writers', the more they wreck it.
    The reason I buy it is to avoid the extremely low standard of journalism and reporting in Ireland, not get more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Noticed in today edition of The Sunday Times, that the Monday-Saturday Irish content which has only been available to online subscribers is to be made available in a print edition from next Saturday. Wonder if this will shake up the market? Photo of ad from today's Sport section attached

Link to news of launch: http://bizplus.ie/times-launching-irish-daily-print-edition/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

mike2084 wrote: »
    Noticed in today edition of The Sunday Times, that the Monday-Saturday Irish content which has only been available to online subscribers is to be made available in a print edition from next Saturday. Wonder if this will shake up the market? Photo of ad from today's Sport section attached

Link to news of launch: http://bizplus.ie/times-launching-irish-daily-print-edition/

@Mike2084 - I find that ad particularly confusing! I rarely see The M-Sat edition. I'm not sure if they make a RoI changes to the daily in print would it be an earth shaker. The Times sells around 2,500 every day and has have the same level of sales consistently of the past year.
    They will have the extra cost for prepress - but the articles are being written (and paid for) already. The increase in circulation would need to cover prepress.

On prepress: I didn't get the ST yesterday which is unusual. They would want to tighten up on those mistakes in the sports section - it's not on.

Anyway, I thought Sebastien Vahaamahina had a first class game for Drumquin Wolfe Tones on Wednesday evening and definitely cemented his place on the first team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mike2084 wrote: »
    Wonder if this will shake up the market?

No.

Only potential shakeup would be if it took enough sales from the papers clearly approaching the exit door to push them through it; but it won't

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Still looking forward to trying it on Saturday all the same

Advertisement